GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 2,331
2 members and 2,329 guests
JayhawkAOII
Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2000, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DirectorDST99 Send a message via Yahoo to DirectorDST99
LaJay, you have good questions and concerns, and I'm sure others who attend junior colleges have the same questions regarding membership into BGLOs. The only dumb question is one that is NEVER asked, so don't let ignorant people (who don't register on greekchat.com) make you feel like you've done something wrong.

Many of these organizations were established while the Founders attended institutions namely, Howard, Cornell, Indiana University, Butler University, Morgan State and thus a precedence has been set.

Nothing is wrong with junior colleges. Many people attend junior colleges then go on to attend 4 year institutions...my mother did it and I have a line sister who did it too. So it's not like you can't express an interest just because you attend a junior college, you just can't be invited to join while at the junior college.

I don't doubt that you have the intelligence to attend a 4 year college or university, so my recommendation to you is once you graduate from the junior college with your associate's degree, by all means enroll in a 4 year institution to pursue your bachelor's degree.

It has nothing to do with being more likely to afford, being smarter than anyonge else, or anything that you mentioned. I will allow one of my fellow Greeks brothers or sisters to address this topic. There's more that I can say, but I know there are others out there who can simplify it. I'm going to step back and allow them to go for it.

------------------
Director #2
LMAC
Spr 99
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-09-2000, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello LaJasmine. I am not a member of Sigma Gamma Rho. However this is the information found on their international website:

A person may be admitted for membership in an undergraduate chapter only while in attendance at a four year accredited college or university, or in a liberal arts transfer program of a junior or community college, once they submit proof of intention to enter and obtain a degree from a four year school.

You may want to go directly to the website at www.sgr1922.org.

Good luck!

------------------
We often give our enemies the means for our own destruction.

Aesop c550 BC
Old 10-09-2000, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Peace & Blessings

LaJasmine: I am a member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. and we have the same policy but with a condition. The condition being that you must submit documentation that you are going on to a four-year program.
Believe me, it's not that anyone is being condescending but ( I feel safe in saying), all four BGLO's have a common principal; scholarship. So, in pursuing your Bachelor's Degree, you are exhibiting that principal.
Let me make it clear by stating it's not that earning an Associates isn't considered scholarly...but, we encourage you to go further.
I hope this helps and good luck in your pursuit of the RhoyalBlue & Gold!
---------------------------------------------
SapphireSensation
RoyalBlueDivaDivine
The Epitome of Finerwomanhood
Old 10-09-2000, 04:09 PM
kuu_kuu

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by LaJasmine:
I currently attend a 2 year techincal college with a major in nursing. I am very interested in Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority and they require you, as other GLO's, to be in attendance or have graduated from a 4 year college. Why is that? Do you feel that individuals who attend 4 year schools are better than most?
It could be that if a chapter were to get set up at a 2 year college, the membership would turn over quite quickly, as all the students in the chapter would only be around as collegian members for 2 years. You would be a pledge in the first year, and then the 2nd year, you could feasibly be president. It might be that 2 years is such a short time, that it could make the recruiting and retention of members quite volatile, as people would be gone (as actives, that is) after 2 years. Also, I am not sure of the economics, but it is better economomically if for the National if their members are paying for 4 years of "active" membership and not only 2. Tell you what: Perhaps you could write to the HQ of whichever group is of interest to you and ask them why this is so? You may get a response back and who knows, they might re-examine their policy on the 2 year vs. 4 year college policy. Good Luck!

Old 10-10-2000, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Why is it that no one can pledge at 2 year colleges?

ONLY SERIOUS INTELLIGENT REPLIES PLEASE***

I currently attend a 2 year techincal college with a major in nursing. I am very interested in Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority and they require you, as other GLO's, to be in attendance or have graduated from a 4 year college. Why is that? Do you feel that individuals who attend 4 year schools are better than most? Do you feel that those are the only people who may participate in community service? Do you feel that people who attend 4 year schools are richer than those who attend 2 year schools therefore will be able to pay dues, etc. I don't understand why we can't be invited to join when we are smart, participate in numerous community service events, have high moral standards,etc. but because we attend/graduated from a 2 year institute we are deprived the possibility of joining one of the fine glo's out there.
Old 10-10-2000, 12:43 AM
duh!

Lightbulb

because you're stupid!!!
Old 10-10-2000, 12:50 AM
SGR15

that didn't qualify as an intelligent reply Duh!
Old 10-10-2000, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I decided to register in case someone would like to respond via e-mail.

Duh, I will forgive your ignorance. I forgot some people just don't know better. Have a blessed day.
Old 10-10-2000, 12:55 AM
That was NOT called for

duh, you are the one that is stupid!!! I work at a tec college as well as am a PROUD graduate. To duh, why are sooooooo many people with BS, Master's, PhDs filling up our tec schools? I know the answer but I guess you would be to stupid to figure it out.
To LaJas
I was wondering the same thing myself. I graduated from a tec college and now attend a four year university. I believe that the AKA national site has something about people who attend 2yr colleges as long as they go on to pursue a BS degree. Greeks?
Old 10-10-2000, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DirectorDST99 Send a message via Yahoo to DirectorDST99
kuu_kuu, reexamining the policy for 2 year, would get voted down quickly. I think I can safely say that that would be like going backwards. I'm not trying to put the junior college down at all. I work in higher education so that's not my style to belittle anyone's educational status. I'm just beling realistic because we promote and encourage scholarship.

Anyone interested in any BLGOs and you attend a junior college, I strongly recommend that you strive to reach higher goals... bachelor's, master's, or ph.d, and seek membership once you're attending a 4 year institution or after you've graduated.

------------------
Director #2
LMAC
Spr 99
Old 10-10-2000, 11:40 AM
Regal

Question

DirectorDST99, you are trying to put it nicely but everyone can read between the lines, you feel that people who attend 2 year schools are stupid and unworthy of your sorority. How do you know that reexamining the policy for 2 years instead of 4 will get voted down quickly?

I know plenty of members of BGLO's that go to 4 year schools, pledge, then drop out because that is what they wanted from the 4 year institute. How do you feel about that? I know 4 personally, matter of fact 2 did it together.

Quote:
Originally posted by DirectorDST99:
kuu_kuu, reexamining the policy for 2 year, would get voted down quickly. I think I can safely say that that would be like going backwards. I'm not trying to put the junior college down at all. I work in higher education so that's not my style to belittle anyone's educational status. I'm just beling realistic because we promote and encourage scholarship.

Anyone interested in any BLGOs and you attend a junior college, I strongly recommend that you strive to reach higher goals... bachelor's, master's, or ph.d, and seek membership once you're attending a 4 year institution or after you've graduated.

Old 10-10-2000, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Regal:

I don't recall my Soror saying that people who attend 2 year institutions are stupid and unworthy of my sorority. There are members who did attend JCs and then continuted on to attend a 4 year, plegded and are very active and continue activity in the sorority.

kuu-kuu's explanation seemed pretty plausibe to me in that a two year turnover would make chapter activity very difficult. There would HAVE to be a rush every year to ensure new members after the old one's graudated and went on.

But also, because SCHOLARSHIP is one of the main foci of most of the BGLOs, then attendance and SCHOLARSHIP at the four year is the standard. In order to get into a masters/ph.d program, one has to have achieved a high academic record at an ACCREDITED FOUR YEAR INSTITUTION. Point, blank. It shows that one has the endurance, time management skills and determination to start something (four years is twice as long as two, remember and a lot of people take even LONGER) and finish it. It also shows a dedication to academic scholarship. I know people personally who attended JC's in LA simply because they felt they couldn't "handle" a four year. So why would I think they could handle the lifetime committment of my sorority. I didn't knock their decision but can you handle waking up at 7:00 a.m on a Saturday to feed the homeless or what? I am not saying that to generalize to people at Junior Colleges but that is a fact with some people. Additionally, we all know that 3.0 GPA at a four year is "different" from a 3.0 at a 2 year. That is the way it is. A 3.0 at Harvard is simply more preferable than a 3.0 at Los Angeles City College.

Can I ask, without sounding condescending, what your plans are after attending the 2 year? Most (not all, but most) people actually attend two-years with the intention of continuing on to receive a B.A. Understanding this, we probably didn't feel like we were doing a HUGE injustice by making that the standard. I know of people who attended a JC, received the AA, thought that was going to be it and realized that they would HAVE to get that B.A. to be as infuential as they had desired to be. Many go on to get B.S. in whatever field and then M.S. (I know this is the case for many nurses for example who get BSNs and MSNs) then go into healthcare administration and blow all the way up.

My Soror suggested that those that are interested shoot for the stars, set further goals and GO FOR IT!! What's wrong with that?
It sounds like everyone is ready to throw in their hats. Like "Why continue my education, your organization needs to take me as is?"
Why?

Also, the object is to be active FOREVER. Into the alumnae level. That means being active for like, 50 years or so.

I could go on forever, but I will let others answer the question.

Sorry for the length of this post.

PEACE all!!!

[This message has been edited by DELTABRAT (edited October 10, 2000).]
Old 10-10-2000, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DELTABRAT:

I know people personally who attended JC's in LA simply because they felt they couldn't "handle" a four year. So why would I think they could handle the lifetime committment of my sorority. I didn't knock their decision but can you handle waking up at 7:00 a.m on a Saturday to feed the homeless or what? I am not saying that to generalize to people at Junior Colleges but that is a fact with some people.

I think this statement is rather insensitive to the many junior college students who are there to learn, obtain an AA and transfer to a four year institution. There are "slackers" at four year institutions as well. Many students have no choice but to attend community college because of financial reasons. Also, JCs usually have more night classes, which is most helpful to adults like myself who work full-time 8am-5pm. I would also like to add that while attending a junior college full time I was working 60 hours plus a week at my two jobs and raising my younger sister who at the time was a senior in high school. So to answer your question, NO, getting up at 7am to feed the homeless would not be a problem for me.

Additionally, we all know that 3.0 GPA at a four year is "different" from a 3.0 at a 2 year. That is the way it is. A 3.0 at Harvard is simply more preferable than a 3.0 at Los Angeles City College.

If that wasn't condescending, I don't know what is. I realize there are some people who look down on those who didn't attend schools that meet their approval. Are you implying that JC's provide an inferior education? If you are suggesting that after earning an AA at JC I may not be able to: deliver a speech as well as you, write a research paper as well as you, or find the derivative of x as well as you, I beg to differ.

Can I ask, without sounding condescending, what your plans are after attending the 2 year? Most (not all, but most) people actually attend two-years with the intention of continuing on to receive a B.A

Sure, my plans are to complete my BS in MIS, then to pursue a MS in Business Information Systems. Gosh, I wonder if KU will look down on me for attending a junior college?

Also, the object is to be active FOREVER. Into the alumnae level. That means being active for like, 50 years or so.

And your point is? Anyone who had done any research into BGLOs already knows it is a lifetime commitment. You may not have intended to sound condescending, but you most certainly have.

Peace and Blessings.....

------------------
We often give our enemies the means for our own destruction.

Aesop c550 BC
Old 10-10-2000, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
If a person read LaJasmine's post, it states that she is pursuing a degree in nursing. I know that she will not need to attend a four-year university to become an RN. The RN program at 2-year colleges is geared to producing quality nurses who focused on those courses exclusively. While it is true that promotions occur more frequently for those with their BS, an Associate's from an excellent 2-year school can equal an education and qualifications as good as or better then some 4-year programs that end in a BS. She would not need to attend a 4-year to pursue her career goals.

At this point the main advantage she would acquire at the 4-year would be an extra two years and joining a sorority. That may not the best reason for her to invest that much time and money.

Perhaps some of the orgs make exeptions for those in medical or professional settings that do not require the BS for success on the job.
Old 10-10-2000, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by That was NOT called for:
duh, you are the one that is stupid!!! I work at a tec college as well as am a PROUD graduate. To duh, why are sooooooo many people with BS, Master's, PhDs filling up our tec schools? I know the answer but I guess you would be to stupid to figure it out.
To LaJas
I was wondering the same thing myself. I graduated from a tec college and now attend a four year university. I believe that the AKA national site has something about people who attend 2yr colleges as long as they go on to pursue a BS degree. Greeks?

[This message has been edited by AKA2D '91 (edited October 10, 2000).]
Closed Thread