GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,437
1 members and 2,436 guests
No Members online

Old 02-12-2007, 12:46 PM

Weird banking question

Do any of you have a checking account where you have a debit card only and can't write actual physical checks?

Even if you do have them there (this is for the younger set) do you actually use the checks at all? Or do you look at them like "WTF are these things?"

Thanks
Old 02-12-2007, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Do any of you have a checking account where you have a debit card only and can't write actual physical checks?

Even if you do have them there (this is for the younger set) do you actually use the checks at all? Or do you look at them like "WTF are these things?"

Thanks
I haven't writen a check in probably three years. They have an address on them that I haven't lived at since 2003 . . . in fact, I'm not really sure where my checkbook is located (in a Ty Webb moment).
Old 02-12-2007, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
I haven't writen a check in probably three years. They have an address on them that I haven't lived at since 2003 . . . in fact, I'm not really sure where my checkbook is located (in a Ty Webb moment).

That's about how I am. If I absolutely need a check, I either get a money order, or I have my mom write one, and I e-pay her the money through my bank (for free) - why waste $$ on checks when my bank will send them for free....
Old 02-12-2007, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I still occasionally use checks. I use them if I'm making a big purchase, like textbooks. When I left for college, my dad told me to do that, because checks leave a better paper trail than using a debit card. I don't know if that's true or not, it made sense at the time. The last time I bought checks was maybe 2 years ago, and I've only gone through one book.

I'm going ot keep my checkbook with me. I seem to demagnitize my damn debit card every other 6 months or so, and that 2-3 week shipping time is brutal.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
I only use checks for big things, or things that I need a paper trail for, like rent. Other than that, it goes on the debit card.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I still use cheques for paying things like rent, alumnae dues, dance class fees. I also need void cheques for direct deposit at work and monthly car insurance payments. Although I don't use them like I use to, i.e. for paying monthly bills - that's now all done online.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I use checks for mortgage and a couple of other bills, but for the most part I use my debit.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdphie View Post
cheques
Damn Canadians.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Perhaps my age is showing (and I'm really not that old), but I'm exactly the opposite. I destroy my debit cards whenever I receive them. While I can see their convenience, I'm terrified of what would happen should my wallet get stolen. Credit card companies will protect you, and so will your bank (if it's obviously not your signature on the check), but debit cards aren't nearly so safe. At least, that's what I've always thought, anyway.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually that's not true anymore. I have 100 percent protection, on my debit/check card if it were to be stolen. I think on my credit card, I'm still responsible for the first $50. I think most check and debit cards offer that protection.

I usually don't write checks, except for my dog walker. She prefers to have checks. Other than that it's bill pay through my bank, or debit card.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

As long as you don't actively give out your PIN, you should be protected through your bank if you report a card lost within 2 days of realizing it's missing. Even writing your PIN on your card (DON'T DO IT) doesn't count as giving it out to people.

I use checks more often now than I did in school. In school the only checks I wrote were, occasionally, between bank accounts and to the sorority. Now I use them to pay bills, because until recently I haven't been able to get settled enough to use my online bill pay. And I do tend to take advantage of the ability to float checks. Even at Walmart where they run it as an electronic debit, it still takes a day or two to hit your account. I really shouldn't do that.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Even writing your PIN on your card (DON'T DO IT) doesn't count as giving it out to people.
WTF?? A bank would actually insure someone stupid enough to write their PIN on their card???
Old 02-12-2007, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RoyalEmpress33 Send a message via Yahoo to RoyalEmpress33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Thanks
Yes, my checkings account is set up like this. I have a debit card, and I have checks as well, but because my account is set up the way it is, I'm not allowed to use the checks and I can't order them either. I have the Wachovia free student checking account.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I hate it when I have to go look for my checkbook because I can never find it. The last time was a check to the US Department of State for a passport. Otherwise I probably write about 3 checks a year.

Not to go too far off topic, does anyone else's bank offer Deposit @ Home where you scan the checks you need to deposit yourself and then send the scan to the bank? I was a little weirded out by it at first but I love it now. It has revolutionized my banking because now I do not need deposit slips or envelopes, nor do I have to wait for the mail to deliver my check to the bank for deposit. It's available the next day.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalEmpress33 View Post
Yes, my checkings account is set up like this. I have a debit card, and I have checks as well, but because my account is set up the way it is, I'm not allowed to use the checks and I can't order them either. I have the Wachovia free student checking account.
That's exactly what I wanted to know - if this sort of thing exists. Thanks!! By the way, you have a cool number in your name.

Thanks everyone else too for their input.