GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,064
1 members and 2,063 guests
John

Old 08-27-2005, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MTSUGURL
Can an 18 year old girl who is looking to be happy in her new Greek home after years of being groomed for rush and hearing how happy Mom was an an XYZ, or expecting to be made happy after sitting in a recruitment info session where it is made to sound as if everything is her choice, be expected to go in with eyes wide open to the fact that she may be cut? That part was completely glossed over when I went through, and although I knew it was likely that I would be, some girls had no clue. Either way, it still hurts when they are cut by a chapter filled with women that the night before seemed so happy to see you. Telling the devastated ones to just get over it doesn't exactly erase that hurt - it only compounds it.
I understand what you're saying, but I think that irishpipes made a valid point. Unless you are completely unaware of the concept of rush you know that it is a "mutual selection process" which would include the possibility of not being invited back to a house. I don't think she was saying "just get over it". She was saying that if you can't handle the possibility of being cut from a house or multiple houses you should NOT go through formal recruitment.

I don't think it really pays to sugar coat the situation anyway. In life there are no guarantees for anything. You could interview for 20 jobs and not get any of them...it would suck, but it happens. You could also go out on 20 dates and have each of the guys/girls tell you that they're not interested...again, it would suck but it could happen. Recruitment is not a perfect system, we all know that...but it's the best idea we've come up with so far! Just my 2 cents
Old 08-27-2005, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaCutie
This is interesting, and not exactly part of MY understanding of the new RFM. Chapters with higher return rates will be cutting more heavily early on. But how will this affect the distribution of WHO gets cut and who doesn't? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just find it intriguing and would like to know more.
It really doesn't affect the first round of invites, only later rounds. Let me see if I can explain why...

Let's say we can rank all PNM's on a campus from 1 - 10, with an equal number of girls in each group. Let's also say that we can clearly rank the ten chapters on her campus from 1 - 10.

(note that these are terrible assumptions, because different chapters offer different things, and look for different things in PNM's, but I do math for a living so I like to put everything into numbers)

Suzie PNM is a 6, so 50% of PNM's are more desireable, 10% are the same, and 40% are less desireable. After round 1, Suzie gets invited to all ten houses, because even the biggest chapters are allowed to invite 70% of the PNM's back. She picks chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, dropping 6 through 10. So does every other girl in the top 70%.

Now, in the view of houses 1 through 5, Suzie is more desireable than only 14% of the PNM's left in their pool, equal to 14%, and less desireable than 72%. If they are again allowed to invite back 70% of the PNM's, OOPS, Suzie has no invites.

Let's replay this with top chapters only being able to invite back 50% of girls, and smaller chapters being able to invite back 100%. Suzie gets invites to 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, and goes back to each of them. The same goes for all the girls in the lower 50% of the PNM pool.

Now, in the view of houses 6 through 10, Suzie is in the top 20% of PNM's. She will get five invites back to the next round.

The girls in the top 50% are unaffected by this change, as are the girls in the bottom 30%, but the 20% that would have been invited to chapters 1-5 in the first scenario but not the second are much more likely to find a home.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Maskes sense, OtterXO.

Hurts my brain, DeltaBetaBaby.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:04 PM

I found this statement on the University of Oklahoma's Panhellenic recruitment information page:

"Participation in formal recruitment DOES NOT guarantee an invitation to join a sorority...."

I think EVERY Panhellenic recruitment page needs to include this statement. And it needs to be stressed in all recruitment info sessions/orientations.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TxGirl
MTSUGURL - I understand and it still maked my head hurt!

It boils down to the chapters with high recruiting strength being able to invite fewer women and therefore releasing earlier those that don't really meet their "standards".

Maybe they require a 3.0 to be initiated. So for first invite, in the past they would keep women that were below that (say maybe 2.75-2.99) just because the COULD to meet their release figure. They would have released them for second invite.

Say there are 9 chapters the PNM's can go to 6 and this happens with the three chapters with the highest recruiting strength. "Old" release figures she would have been invited back to all 9 chapters. So, knowing how PNM's are she probably would have kept all 3 of these chapters. With the "old" method for second invites she would have only had a max of 3 chapters b/c the other 3 would have automatically released her b/c of grades this round.

With the "new" method the 3 that would have released her after first invites now have to release her after the initial round (open house/welcome night/IceWaterTeas whatever the school calls it). So instead of having 9 she probably have a max of 6 chapters for the first invitational round. This gives her a better chance of having more invites for the second invitational. Instead of the max 3 she would have had with the first scenario, she now has a real chance to be invited to 6 chapters for second invites.

Let me think of wording here. The ideas is that she is closer to having the max number she can go to each round, than that she have invites from all chapters. So with a 9 chapter campus if they have three invite rounds and women can go to 6 for 1st invites, 4 for second invites and 2 for pref. She would not necessarily have 9 invites to 1st round but 4-7, for 2nd invites she would have 2-6 and for pref she would have 1-3. We want the PNM's to be able to make their "cuts" but we also don't want the chapters stringing them along only to release them on pref.

Edited to add: I think the new RFM will also help women getting released out of the process - meaning getting no invites and being out of recruitment.

Last edited by TxGirl; 08-27-2005 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JocelynC
I just received word that my school will be implementing SORUSH this year, after the PRUSH issues that occured at formal recruitment last year that left 2 of 6 chapters way under quota. As I understand it, SORUSH goes right in line with the new release figures methodology that requires larger chapters to release more women earlier on.

From what I have heard, it does help smaller chapters get to quota, while letting larger groups still end up reaching it too. THe only downside I can see is some heavy cutting by the larger groups early on, but from the looks of things, everyone goes home happy.
SORUSH and PRUSH or ICS for that matter don't have anything to do with the release figure method used. The first two utilize the old method for figuring release figures. Basically the formula in the Green Book is put into the programing and based on past data figures out the release figure for each chapter. I don't know that ICS does this part. But, all three are basically databases for the recruitment process. They all assign id#, allow for input of invite list, accpet/regrets or priority (depending on if using SORUSH or PRUSH), keep lists of legacies, withdrawals and any other info put into them. ICS will do PNM choices either with accept/regret or prioritizing as well.

The new RFM (Release Figure Method) is not published by NPC and must be figured by an NPC representative. This person works with the College Panhellenic and Greek Advisor each day of recruitment to determine the number each chapter can invite back to each round. From there it's all the same as before. All school will be required in the next year or two to switch to using the new RFM. Additionally, each College Panhellenic will also need to determine their recruitment type - Fully Structured, Partial Structured, Minimally Structured or Continuous Recruitment (I think those are all the correct names). As you can tell from the names not all will need to use the RFM b/c they will not all be doing a "formal" recruitment as we all know and love!
Old 08-27-2005, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JocelynC

I found this statement on the University of Oklahoma's Panhellenic recruitment information page:

"Participation in formal recruitment DOES NOT guarantee an invitation to join a sorority...."

I think EVERY Panhellenic recruitment page needs to include this statement. And it needs to be stressed in all recruitment info sessions/orientations.

COSIGN!!!
Old 08-28-2005, 02:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally posted by TxGirl
The new RFM (Release Figure Method) is not published by NPC and must be figured by an NPC representative. This person works with the College Panhellenic and Greek Advisor each day of recruitment to determine the number each chapter can invite back to each round.
So there is no specific formula anymore? Has it become totally subjective? This sounds pretty dangerous to me.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, there is a formula, but they are keeping it private b/c they don't want a company to take it, make a program and sell it to college campuses.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
It really doesn't affect the first round of invites, only later rounds. Let me see if I can explain why...

Let's say we can rank all PNM's on a campus from 1 - 10, with an equal number of girls in each group. Let's also say that we can clearly rank the ten chapters on her campus from 1 - 10.

(note that these are terrible assumptions, because different chapters offer different things, and look for different things in PNM's, but I do math for a living so I like to put everything into numbers)

Suzie PNM is a 6, so 50% of PNM's are more desireable, 10% are the same, and 40% are less desireable. After round 1, Suzie gets invited to all ten houses, because even the biggest chapters are allowed to invite 70% of the PNM's back. She picks chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, dropping 6 through 10. So does every other girl in the top 70%.

Now, in the view of houses 1 through 5, Suzie is more desireable than only 14% of the PNM's left in their pool, equal to 14%, and less desireable than 72%. If they are again allowed to invite back 70% of the PNM's, OOPS, Suzie has no invites.

Let's replay this with top chapters only being able to invite back 50% of girls, and smaller chapters being able to invite back 100%. Suzie gets invites to 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, and goes back to each of them. The same goes for all the girls in the lower 50% of the PNM pool.

Now, in the view of houses 6 through 10, Suzie is in the top 20% of PNM's. She will get five invites back to the next round.

The girls in the top 50% are unaffected by this change, as are the girls in the bottom 30%, but the 20% that would have been invited to chapters 1-5 in the first scenario but not the second are much more likely to find a home.
You are my math hero Thanks for that!