GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,668
2 members and 1,666 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 09-08-2003, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

see choices then pick. Otherwise its just plain mean and left totatlly to random.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I think PRUSH is definitely better for the PNM. That way if Suzie So-So got cut from XYZ, the top house on campus, she can just tell her neighbor, Lacey Legacy, that she ranked them last, and it's fine she's not going back.

I've heard a lot of stories about heartbreaks for girls who had SORUSH - other girls in their PX group, or even their PX, were mean to them because of where they did/didn't get invited back to.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

We had PRUSH and I think I totally prefer it on all counts.

After parties when you rank, generally there are only a few (3-4) that you are dying to go back to, so they get put at the top. A house that is, say, 7th or 8th out of your 12 choices isn't as big a deal to you. Generally PNM's aren't struggling with the choice between the 7th and 8th ranking knowing that they only get invited back to 7 the next day. Meaning, they aren't there fretting over "What if I get my other top choices and tomorrow I want #8 instead of #7?" (Did that make a lick of sense?! It did in my head! ) So you come back the next day and there are your houses. Done.

My biggest problem with SORUSH is that it paves the way for "tent talk", preconceived notions and hurt PNMs. Say ABC is not that strong a house numbers wise or in terms of "coolness", but full of wonderful girls and a great sisterhood. Also, XYZ the reigning top chapter doesn't cut for anything after round 1 but grades. So, Patty PNM goes through Round 1, thinks the ABC girls are great and the XYZ's fine, but not her type. She goes home for the night and has dinner with some of her friends who are also rushing. They all talk about how "cool" XYZ is and how they hated being doubled rushed at ABC and their house is so small!!! The next morning Patty gets her invites and has been invited back to both ABC and XYZ. She really liked ABC, but her friends were saying all that stuff about them last night, and well, XYZ is the best and they asked me back - and she goes to XYZ declining ABC. At the end of that night she thinks XYZ is awesome (they are great rushers after all!) and the next day finds out she was not invited back because she wasn't a 500th generation leagcy with a 4.0, beauty queen title and 5 years of community service. She thinks she's a loser and drops out and ABC lost out on a great NM.

Now, I know this is an extremely exaggerated story, but I think you get my drift. I think letting girls pick lends to picking for superficial reasons. Also, I don't see how seeing who invited you back first makes you realize more where you fit in? So XYZ, the "cool" house didn't invite me back. Well, in PRUSH, even if I DID put them first, if they didn't invite me back they wouldn't be on my next round party list and that would pretty much clue me in that it's not the place for me... Right?

Last edited by xo_kathy; 09-09-2003 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

xo_kathy, I'm glad we share a name, because you just explained what I wanted to in a much better fashion.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
Ditto XO_Kathy. Oh, and ADPIUCF, I'm pretty sure we've swithed back to PRUSH at UCF. I remember seeing the name of the program on the lists we had, and the way PRUSH works totally aligns with the way an advisor described the process PNM's go thorugh.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sherbertlemons
Ditto XO_Kathy. Oh, and ADPIUCF, I'm pretty sure we've swithed back to PRUSH at UCF. I remember seeing the name of the program on the lists we had, and the way PRUSH works totally aligns with the way an advisor described the process PNM's go thorugh.
Sherbertlemons,

Oh thank god for the current Recruitment Counselors--- do you know how horrid it was to be stuck in a hotel off campus from everyone, have to be dressed and ready to go at 7:30 AM for rankings and then be on campus ALL day with no food until 10 PM? The Student Union loved us-- and so did Kelsey's Pizza at the end of the day!!!
Old 09-08-2003, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is a true SORUSH story from my friend who rushed at a large, competitive campus:

"Jenny" is a very straightforward, urban, feminist intellectual type who also happens to be very beautiful. She feels very much at home at a couple of the chapters on her campus, FFF and GGG, where this attitude is cultivated. Because these chapters do not party very hard and have some less beautiful members, they are not especially selective. AAA, however, is the golden chapter on campus, incredible rushers, 100% return rates, notoriously difficult to get into. Jenny thinks the AAA's seem kind of shallow.
When Jenny gets her invites back, she is the only one in her rush group who is invited back to AAA. The other rushees ooh and aah, express jealousy, shower her with congratulations, etc. Jenny is so flattered that she goes to AAA's party.
This same scene is repeated every morning all week. AAA keeps inviting Jenny back, and the other rushees are in awe and tell her she's insane to think of regretting their parties. Jenny (foolishly, but understandably) is so seduced by this compliment from the campus queens and admiration from her friends that she ends up choosing AAA over FFF and GGG.
Jenny ends up disliking her pledge sisters, who seem ditzy and catty to her. She starts cutting meetings and eventually quits. She was a rotten AAA, even though she would have been a great FFF or GGG.
I honestly think Jenny would never have been an AAA but for SORUSH. If she had ranked the chapters after the first parties, AAA would have been low on her list. She was only interested in AAA because she was seduced by that coveted invitation! Not many 17-year-old girls have the strength of character to resist the temptation of that kind of flattery. PRUSH commits them to the more honest choices they make when they are not under the influence of feeling "chosen" by the campus queens.

Ivy
Old 09-08-2003, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IheartAphi
PRUSH has a lot of room for error (we use a scan tron). My rush card for instance got dropped from the entire system (it said I did not want to go back to any of the chapters) and they could not change when they realized it did not work out (invites back were already given out).

I am sure errors occur with both systems, but mine really sucked and broke my heart about the error so much I went shopping on bid day and found out later I had a snap bid. I got back in time to relucantly take it and made the best decision of my life.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IvySpice
PRUSH commits them to the more honest choices they make when they are not under the influence of feeling "chosen" by the campus queens.
But doesn't that only work if the PNMs can't talk to each other before they rank the chapters? Wouldn't tent talk still influence their opinions and lead women to rank the campus queens chapter higher than other chapters.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wouldn't tent talk still influence their opinions and lead women to rank the campus queens chapter higher than other chapters.
There's a difference between hearing tent talk that favors the queens and the feeling of knowing that the queens have chosen YOU and asked YOU back even though they cut all your friends. It's the flattery element that I think is especially hard to resist. It's kind of like getting into Harvard...even if it wasn't your first choice when you sent out your applications, it's really really hard to turn down that acceptance that makes you feel so special.

Ivy
Old 09-09-2003, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IheartAphi
PRUSH has a lot of room for error (we use a scan tron). My rush card for instance got dropped from the entire system (it said I did not want to go back to any of the chapters) and they could not change when they realized it did not work out (invites back were already given out).
Well, your Panhel should have done something about that! I know that with the scantrons there are problems, but all the ones at my campus were always corrected. Girls would show up at your party without being on the list because they had put you down, you had invited them, but there was a glitch that had been brought to Panhel's attention and taken care of. Might screw up your rotation, but at least you got back a girl you liked!!!

GeekyPenguin - no problem! I'm always willing to help a Kathy!!!
Old 09-09-2003, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KappaKittyCat
DeltaBetaBaby, then am I correct in assuming that part of PRUSH is that PNMs return to the maximum number of houses allowed for that day?
YES - If 1st round is 7 groups, they rank all 7. Then as Round 2 visits only 5 houses, she would visit the top 5 houses that didn't drop her from Round 1.

So if invited to all 7 - she would go back to her top 5

So if dropped by #1 & #4, she would go to 2,3,5,6,7

If dropped by 3,4,5 - she would go to 1,2,6,7

(Just a simple way of describing it....)
Old 09-10-2003, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyocutie
Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
Sherbertlemons,

Oh thank god for the current Recruitment Counselors--- do you know how horrid it was to be stuck in a hotel off campus from everyone, have to be dressed and ready to go at 7:30 AM for rankings and then be on campus ALL day with no food until 10 PM? The Student Union loved us-- and so did Kelsey's Pizza at the end of the day!!!
They definitely switched back from when I went through this year. I think that I like this way better than the one that you described.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SDTSarah
Okay, I know this is an old topic, but we're thinking of switching to PRUSH. I've heard the pros about it (eliminating tent talk,etc.) but I'm not sure how it will actually play out. How does it tend to affect the individual sororities? Is it beneficial to both larger and smaller sororities?

It's new to me, since I went through SORUSH, and any advice would be very helpful!
Old 04-20-2005, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
The way rush works here is that the girls get invites after Open house to novelty round, they can recieve up to 6, but may only accept/accept with regret to 4...they must cut 2 if they are given the max. number of bids. Then for final parties girls may recieve 4 invites but only accept/accept with regret to 2. Those 2 houses have her placed somewhere on their bid list. It is then up to her to either a) single itention prefernece (we use the term suicide here, even though NPC doesn't) b) rank all 6 houses (which we encourage because it often happens that girls who get the "dont match" call get offered bids to other houses) or c) rank the two houses they preferenced at.

SIP is HUGE here, even though it is looked down upon by us PX's and strongly discouraged in rush literature. But it has worked out well for every chapter, I'd venture to say at least 1/2 my chapter suicided my chapter or another one and ended up in TD.