GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,320
2 members and 1,318 guests
No Members online

Old 08-06-2001, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Talking Members: Your Prime Bit of Advice to PNMs?

Hey GLO members! What is your number one piece of advice to the rushees?

Mine is: don't go in with your heart set on one or more certain groups. This was done heavily at the campus where I was active and so many hearts were broken because of it. Look at every group with an open mind!

That being said, buena suerte! Good luck!
Old 08-06-2001, 10:49 AM

Thumbs up

My one piece of advice is don't listen to any stereotypes for any organization and go in with an open mind. Most times, the stereotypes you hear aren't true.

[This message has been edited by Ex greek (edited August 07, 2001).]
Old 08-06-2001, 11:03 AM

Be every bit as interested and polite at the house you are not interested in as you are at the house you'd kill to get a bid from.

Good Luck ladies!!! GO GREEK

------------------
@~Tracy~@

"...For it's just the flame of a sister's love, that makes the world go round."
Old 08-06-2001, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Mine would be not to follow the opinions of the other members of your Rho Chi group. You are all individuals and will probably like different sororities. Don't attend parties you don't want to attend just because everyone else is doing it (I feel like a parent giving a kid the "don't jump off a bridge" speech...)

[This message has been edited by LeslieEMU (edited August 06, 2001).]
Old 08-06-2001, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

To all those ladies going through Rush this year, I'd like to wish you all good luck! I agree with Tracey that being polite is very important, but I would like to add that you should just be yourself! And even though Rush can be a pretty stressful time, remember to have fun! No matter what happens, you are going to meet a lot of awesome girls that you may not have met had you not gone through rush!

Megan
Old 08-06-2001, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Keep an open mind and an open heart. Look for the place where you make friends. Don't join the chapter with the best skits or clothes. While this makes a lasting impression, it is the girls with whom you can be friends and even sisters that you will belong forever!
Old 08-06-2001, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok this sounds stupid but
Don't go the bathroom during a round, wait till in between parties. No matter what sororities always think thats rude.

And remember rush is competitive put your best foot forward, no matter how sick of answering the same questions you are.

Finally don't go out too much during rush you will be tired enough!
Old 08-06-2001, 09:39 PM

I agree w/ Aphigal, sort of.

You're at the party to talk to the members, so try to go while you're in between parties. We can't go during the party unless it's an emergency, try to follow that too.

But mainly I wouldn't want a rushee going to the bathroom during a party because it'll probably be thrashed. Rushees--think about how you're bathroom looked before you ran out to meet your PX group. Now multiply that by 100! Every member of that house was in the bathrooms doing hair, make-up, etc. right before the parties started. Not a pretty site at all.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Think before you speak -

(primarily for the gentlemen)
-questions about hazing: are you retarded? that's what I'm thinking when you ask.

-questions about partying: not allowed to even talk about it, with regard to the greek scene OR NOT. So don't bring it up - i don't care how many beers you can drink, that's not important.

-questions about sororities: you tread in tepid waters here, many of them are friends and maybe girlfriends . . . be polite, and don't act like it'll be a shooting gallery for you.

In general - just don't be narrow, and realize there's a LOT to the fraternity experience. We want good guys who will represent us well, and who will contribute. Just be yourself, and if it's a match we'll both know.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
I've gone through 2 formal recruitments at my small school, once as a PNM and as a Sister...but even with a small school and chapter I think I've got some advice...

Go into Recruitment with an open minds BUT, if you're not at a house you like, at least TRY to look interested. PARTICIPATE. TALK TO SISTERS. SMILE. Don't stay with your friends in the PNM group or bolt from a Sister if you see another PNM you know just to stand around and talk. Behavior like that just decreases your chances of getting asked back and in the long run it's better to be safe than sorry. You never know how things might work out. That house you thought was a guarantee might not extend you a bid and you could have alienated the other houses with your negative behavior. I know a guy who had this happen to him. He made it know he only wanted one particular house and then ended up with no bids. He waited again to the next year and got in another house. It's a rare occurance so don't let it happen to you.

Go With You Gut: While going through informal rush, another PNM and I found ourselves in the middle of a room with no one talking to us. Not the house for us I'd say. Things like this shouldn't happen at formal rush but still be on your toes about this kind of stuff. Sisters as well as PNM's should ALWAYS be polite.

And to end on a good note...

Ask your self: How do you feel when you walk in the front door? What feeling did you leave with? Did it uplift you? Were you having fun and actually relaxing when you thought you'd be all nerbous? GOOD! I was comfortable, entered & exited the house as sisters were singing, was included in conversation and nothing felt fake. It felt like all I had thought a sorority was going to be. Ask yourself what you think a sorority is about and then see which house makes you feel the most similar to those thought.

Best of Luck!!

------------------
~to be true to ourselves, to those within and without our circle ~
Old 08-07-2001, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

this especially goes for girls who are rushing in the winter...

your guy friends will probably have lots to say about which sororities you "should" be interested in... don't take what they say too seriously! a lot of times, all they know are the campus stereotypes. they really are not the best judges of where YOU will belong. they don't really have a broad picture of all the different sorts of girls within each group and they don't really "get" the group dynamics within a sorority (which can make or break the "sorority experience," i think). so don't let yourself be pressured into going one way just because your guy friends tell you those are the "cool, laid-back, hot, whatever" girls. or because that is the sorority that their fraternity often socializes with!
Old 08-07-2001, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know about y'all, but I had outstanding friends in high school. And I knew in college that I wanted friends like the ones I had in HS. So I looked to see which sororities reminded me of my best friends from home.

Also, the social aspects of Greek Life are great and all, but you can party even if you're an independent. You are looking for lifelong sisterhood or brotherhood. Watch sisters/brothers talk to each other, and how they act around each other. You will be able to see which chapters have stronger bonds between their members. Also, ask yourself "Are these the girls/guys I want to invite to my wedding?" Because that's what your sisters/brothers should be! If there's not that close bond, it's not worth being Greek.

Most of all, be yourself. Take deep cleansing breaths. If you are really nervous, tell them! The rushers are nervous, too! Trust me! Good luck, and go with your heart.

------------------
"Seek the noblest."
Zeta Love! <3
Old 08-07-2001, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Do NOT talk about other sororities in the middle of a party! Especially anything negative! It will not impress the girls in the "cool" house that you are trashing the girls in the "not cool" house.

Also, you'll be surprised how much friends in different sororities talk to each other about rush. My 2 best friends are tri-delts and we always talked about how nice/rude/sweet/obnoxious/etc a PNM was. So even if you don't want a sorority, be polite because you have no idea who their friends are.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Eat beforehand. Not because you're trying to impress the sisters with your birdlike appetite, but you may not have an opportunity between parties. Never underestimate the power of a good breakfast.
Old 08-08-2001, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

I posted tips in another thread, but I thought of a key tip...BE YOURSELF! I won't give you the whole "You should be yourself because that way you will end up where you should be, yada yadda yadda" speech. If for no other reason, be yourself because you will sound DUMB otherwise! I still can't forget how incredably dumb I sounded in one of my rush parties. The sorority has the reputation of being rich girls, so to impress them I told one of the girls how I love shopping, I don't care how much things are, daddy gives me all the $$ I need, and my friends and I were considered JAPs/CAPS/etc in HS. OMG-As soon as I started talking like that I realized how ridiculous I was being, but once the words started, I couldn't stop 'em! I am a big shopper, however, the real me would NEVER say stuff like that, ESPICIALLY to a stranger. It was so bad! So for your own sake, be yourself!!