GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,092
0 members and 1,092 guests
No Members online

Old 01-24-2008, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Daughter's 08 Recruitment

I have enjoyed reading and learning from the GC boards. As a mom who did not rush when in college I find the information helpful in understanding the experience my daughter is having.

I do not have a tremendous number of details, but will chronicle what information I do have from what my dear daughter shares with me.

Sororities in alpha order:
Alpha Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Kappa Alpha Theta
Pi Beta Phi

Code names in no particular order:
Lilly
Iris
Tulip
Dahlia
Geranium
Hibiscus

1st visits were last weekend. She attended all.

Lilly-She expected this to be one of her two favorites. Great, friendly girls. Has campus rep as the "good girls." Rushees rotated which evidently confused her and other rushees until they figured out all the rushers "were just leaving us" after a few minutes and it wasn't a personal thing. Would love to have another opportunity to visit, but uncertain of fit.

Iris-She described as very awkward. Two to three rushees per rushers due to smaller size. Conversation was difficult, other than between rushees. Is know on campus as being a struggling chapter. She said she did not want to have preconceived notions, but that after visiting she did not see herself being a member of this sorority.

Tulip-Going in, probably the house she was most looking forward to visiting. Great experience with great girls. Reputation of being very difficult to get a bid and "pre-rush" selection of "only the best looking and brightest." Her response to that is "well, who knows--I love the house and I'll see if they see me fitting in." Hoping for an invite back.

Dahlia-Low on the list going in, but she fell in love here. Best conversations, felt a part, encouraged by how kind and how engaging the girls were. Top of her list and she will be really dissapointed if not invited back.

Geranium-She does not see herself fitting in here.

Hibiscus- Interested in going back.

As you can see the amount of information she shared faded to just about nothing as we talked about the last two houses.

She can receive up to 4 invites to next round (invites coming soon).

Her order:
Dahlia
Tulip
Hibiscus
Lilly

Geranium
Iris
Old 01-24-2008, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I love the code names! I'm really looking forward to reading this story.

"To see beauty even in the common things of life..."
Old 01-24-2008, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Question I forgot to ask

I am hoping the GC crew can answer this question:

Is it standard for a Sr. affiliated member to "friend" rushees on FACEBOOK? Evidently 3-4 girls at my daughter's school are doing this during rush, with one girl friending 10-15 girls the day after the 1st recruitment events. This has caused quite a stir among the freshman girls who are busy interpreting what it means or doesn't mean. To me, this seems a bit wrong. This "mutual selection" process seems to be inherently stressful enough w/o someone adding this dimension.

In case you are wondering, my daughter was not "friended" and it honestly does not seem to bother her. I think that may be because it is not a house that she feels like she will become affiliated with. It bothers me though, well--just because it seems so wrong.

Am I missing the boat?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

That is definitely wrong on my campus. We have a "silent" policy during recruitment: no talking to PNMs, and certainly no facebooking...

She might want to tell her Pi Chi about this.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree - most campuses are quite specific about contact between actives/pmns, including facebook.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know specifically about an affiliate, but if an active were to do it, that is a rush infraction.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

What is the difference between an affiliated member and an active?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Is a Pi Chi the same as a Rho Gam? Unaffiliated (for rush) recruitment guide.

She thinks I am silly. Thanks for confirming that what seems very wrong to me is in fact not a good idea. My guess is that she will choose to "stay out of it."
Old 01-24-2008, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
If this is a structured formal NPC recruitment, then yes, there should not be any contact between the sisters and the PNMs outside of the rush room. If this is informal recruitment, then those rules don't apply, though it's generally in bad taste.

I can see how this may confuse PNMs - if I were in their shoes, I would think it meant they liked me and I might get a bid and therein lies the danger. Not smart on the sister's part IMO.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
I assume it means that she is still active, and not disaffiliated like a Rho Chi/Gamma/whatever or member of Panhellenic.

Then again, you probably weren't asking me...

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-24-2008, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
I assume it means that she is still active, and not disaffiliated like a Rho Chi/Gamma/whatever or member of Panhellenic.

Then again, you probably weren't asking me...
It was directed towards the first person who could answer the question, so you win.

If it is formal recruitment, then it is in bad taste, and quite possibly a recruitment infraction, depending on the campus. If it is informal recruitment, then honestly, I have no problem with it. Informal recruitment is about bringing a chapter up to total, and about attracting girls who might not want to rush to go greek. Rules like not being allowed to talk to certain people or friending them on facebook are the kind of thing that turn some girls off from rushing, so why apply those rules to informal recruitment and risk losing some great potential members over a silly rule or rivalry?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, that confused me too... Am I correct in thinking that the same rules apply to actives and alumnae alike?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush at her school is NPC and formal. The person I am referring to is not one of the "unaffiliated girls helping them through rush," but a member of one of the sororities on campus.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It was directed towards the first person who could answer the question, so you win.

If it is formal recruitment, then it is in bad taste, and quite possibly a recruitment infraction, depending on the campus. If it is informal recruitment, then honestly, I have no problem with it. Informal recruitment is about bringing a chapter up to total, and about attracting girls who might not want to rush to go greek. Rules like not being allowed to talk to certain people or friending them on facebook are the kind of thing that turn some girls off from rushing, so why apply those rules to informal recruitment and risk losing some great potential members over a silly rule or rivalry?
This reminds me of that YouTube video from Northwestern where the girl makes fun of FR by talking about how she accidentally took a napkin out and the other girl who was told to spit out her mint. Yeah, the rules get a little ridiculous at times.... But coming from a slightly struggling chapter and having been a Rho Gam, I can see how in some instances they are necessary.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rushmom View Post
Rush at her school is NPC and formal. The person I am referring to is not one of the "unaffiliated girls helping them through rush," but a member of one of the sororities on campus.
I think that's what we assumed. In that case, it is a rush infraction and the chapter could be fined or punished in some way if the school's Panhel were to find out...