GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,466
2 members and 1,464 guests
AOIIalum, Titchou

Old 02-03-2024, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Overrated Artists Thread

My girl and I just came back from an art museum. Some of the art I saw there, I felt shouldn’t have been in a museum at all. There was an artist whose art looked like a 2 year old did it. I forgot his name though. If anyone knows my description and can tell me his name, I’ll remember. I pick him as the artist I feel is the most overrated. PB might know who I’m talking about.

Do y’all have a famous artist that you think is way overrated?
Old 02-03-2024, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

LOL! I thought this was for musical artists, and I was going to say Taylor Swift!
Old 02-03-2024, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
LOL! I thought this was for musical artists, and I was going to say Taylor Swift!
Lmao! Yeah, her music sucks. I should have clarified, visual artists. I agree with you about Taylor Swift though.
Old 02-03-2024, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto on Taylor Swift. No talent whatsoever. Literally none.
Old 02-03-2024, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
Ditto on Taylor Swift. No talent whatsoever. Literally none.
Visual art, CG. Visual. You and honeychile are about train wreck (with Taylor Swift driving the train, full speed) my thread Lol.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I have an appreciation for all visual art to some degree, not always for the visual aspects of it, but many of them, I respect and appreciate the process.

Also, the first question I ask myself when I see visual art is what is it about? Once I’ve established the content, it’s then when I can consider how the artist has arranged the elements of the piece — the composition. Whether the image is of people, landscape, still life, or abstract. To me, it has to work as an integrated whole, in which the other pictorial qualities such as color, light, and shade also have to play a part.

If I were to pick art or artists that I think are overrated (but not terrible work)…

Andy Warhol — I like his flat, bold color choices, but his work lacks creativity, to me. The images he uses are not his. Reminds me of photoshop art, worked over “ready-made” images.

Nok cultural art — I appreciate the imaginative human and animal forms they did, but their work lacks the idealism I gravitate towards with ceramic sculpture.

Frida Kahlo — I enjoy trying to read her work — trying to figure out what she’s trying to convey. Her work generally tells a story about something that happened in her life, but visually, it doesn’t stop me to come back to it and stare as I walk by.

Vincent Van Gogh — I think he evolved a strikingly original style, in which bold colors and forceful brushstrokes express intense emotions, and I can appreciate how he had a huge influence on modern art. However, I have more of an attraction to realism, which isn’t present in a lot of his work. I’m a huge fan of the Realist movement.

ID (Industrial Design)

Harley Earl — He practically invented the profession of automotive styling. He also introduced art into the mechanics of mass automobile manufacturing, which pretty much changed the game forever. I can appreciate that. But his decision to put tail fins on the 1948 Cadillac kicked off competition among automakers to see who could out-fin each other. I get that during the time (post WWII), it was the jet era, but I don’t like tail fins on cars. Let cars be cars and airplanes be airplanes.

Dick Teague — He styled the AMC Gremlin, AMC Pacer X, and the AMC AMX/3 (the front and tail end are hideous in that car) Those cars alone are enough to tell you why I think he’s overrated. 😂

There are others, but those are just the main ones that come to mind when I’m in discussion with other artists and designers on this topic.

Phroze, I believe the artist you may be referring to is Joan Miro.
Romans 1:16
Old 02-03-2024, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Truthfully, after realizing that PS meant visual, not audial, performance, I did think of Frida Kahlo. I can appreciate many of the unique styles of painting, but for some reason, just can't wrap my eyes around Kahlo.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I don’t know a lot about artists, but I just saw the “Joan Miro” art pics. Phrozen Sands, if that guy (who I thought was a woman when I read PB’s post) is who you are talking about, yes! I agree with you! My kids art is better than his. I’m like.. are you serious?! How? Just how is he famous? I don’t get it. I just don’t get it. He’s like the Taylor Swift of visual art, lol. And then there’s those artists art I’ve seen where they just fling and splatter paint all over the place, and then it gets placed inside a prestigious art museum. Really?
Old 02-03-2024, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

That’s it, PB. It was Joan Miro. Like CG, I thought he was a she until I started reading the material with his art, a.k.a. bullshit. When I walked up on his art, I told my girl, this is some bullshit right here. How’d this dude get in here? My girl thought it was cute until she learned he was an adult and not a child. Then she said, this is some bullshit.

Look at this. Wtf? Lol
https://youtu.be/77eSGRcojtg?si=LFj28th_whIsC1S5
Old 02-04-2024, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I actually like some of Miro’s work. And “Joan” is pronounced — “Jjuaan”. And Jackson Pollock (the artist CG is referring to) I love his work. I’m looking at their color choices. Also, Pollock’s style is done in a controlled manner. His color choices are spectacular. I also think the environment in how their work is displayed plays a large role in how their work comes off. But art and design are subjective.

But when it comes to auto design, that’s a whole nother ballgame, to me. Clearly, there is a level of subjectivity with that too, when it comes to a buyer’s appreciation of design. However, a professional designer knows that the core of a compelling design is getting the fundamentals right — such as volumes, proportions, stance, how the car sits on its wheels, its overall length relative to its height and width, its wheel to body relationship, etc. Dick Teague had those fundamentals all jacked up. 😂
Old 02-04-2024, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Lmao! For real, dude? PB, years back, you showed GC some of your student work and it was phenomenal. Hard for me to believe an artist like you would be impressed with some bullshit like Joan Miro. I looked up the Pollock dude too. His stuff is just as bad as the other dude’s.
Old 02-04-2024, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Keith Haring - always thought he was overrated.
Old 02-04-2024, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
Lmao! For real, dude? PB, years back, you showed GC some of your student work and it was phenomenal. Hard for me to believe an artist like you would be impressed with some bullshit like Joan Miro. I looked up the Pollock dude too. His stuff is just as bad as the other dude’s.
Thanks, Phroze. That’s why it’s all subjective.
Old 02-04-2024, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
Keith Haring - always thought he was overrated.
I just looked him up. Dude blows. Some of these visual artists aren’t artists at all. How they got recognized as being “great” blows my mind.