GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,804
1 members and 1,803 guests
Titchou

Old 09-11-2006, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Toby Keith's Daughter

This may have already been posted somewhere, but I searched and didn't see anything - if so please feel free to delete.

Country star Toby Keith decided to name his album White Trash With Money after his daughter was shunned when she tried to join a sorority at school and was labeled "white trash" by a snooty sorority sister. Keith's 19-year-old daughter Krystal was attempting to join the exclusive girls organization and came home and told her father about the hurtful snub.
He explains, "That's where I got the album title for my last CD. She's going to college and she was trying to get into one of the sorority houses and one of the girls said, 'Don't let her in. She's just white trash with money.' So I named my album that. I know a title when I hear one!"

Although Keith's daughter immediately loved the idea of using the insult as the album's title, Keith's wife wasn't so keen. He adds, "My wife freaked out. She was mad at the girl because she is a well-known person in our community. I view that kind of stuff as funny. I take that stuff in stride and my daughter is the same way. My wife is a little more particular. She said, 'You're not going to (name the album that).' She thought I was joking. And then I brought one home and laid it on the countertop!"

I got this from http://www.barbiemartini.com which doesn't really provide a source so I also include a more reliable source: http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily...6/01living.htm

Not sure what school she attends, but on the surface (having no other detailed) I am surprised she was dropped from recruitment. Any opinions?
Old 09-11-2006, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Well I definitely feel bad because I know the feeling of being dropped, but have never been called white trash. Personally when I read the story I laughed because it just sounded funny to me (but I have a warped sense of humor). I think its cool that named the CD that and obviously it takes a stronger person to deal with a situation like that. That's my two cents
Old 09-11-2006, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, that's a pretty tacky comment--glad Toby turned it around on her.

The article said his daughter is 21, so maybe she is close to being a senior. Do y'all think this had something to do with her being cut?
Old 09-11-2006, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Doesn't it take a while to release an album? I'm assuming that she rushed as a freshman or sophomore and told her dad about it and when time came to pick the name, that's what he chose. It says that she was 19 so maybe she was a soph?
Old 09-11-2006, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Guess I didn't read the article that closely, but what you said makes more sense.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, that article was hardly "greek friendly" - but neither was the woman who called her White Trash in the first place! She should be ashamed of herself.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

The article doesn't say how or when the girl said that. I personally don't have as much of a problem with what was said as I do with the fact that the girl was dumb enough to let people overhear her.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like a "she's New Money" sort of comment from "Old Southern Plantation" type girls.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that is THE most pathetic thing I've ever heard. The girl that said those things is NOT someone I would representing MY sorority or MY panhel. That is without a doubt the most absurd and non-greek friendly thing I've ever heard. What kind of example are we setting if girls are out there judging girls to their face and basically saying "I'm better than you." That is NOT the kind of thing that should happen during recruitment no matter WHO you are. That is VERY unprofessional.

I'm sorry for my rant. I am infuriated. I am just glad the Keiths can find humor in this. They are my heroes.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominoTheta
I think that is THE most pathetic thing I've ever heard. The girl that said those things is NOT someone I would representing MY sorority or MY panhel. That is without a doubt the most absurd and non-greek friendly thing I've ever heard. What kind of example are we setting if girls are out there judging girls to their face and basically saying "I'm better than you." That is NOT the kind of thing that should happen during recruitment no matter WHO you are. That is VERY unprofessional.

I'm sorry for my rant. I am infuriated. I am just glad the Keiths can find humor in this. They are my heroes.
So you're saying that neither you nor your sisters have ever made a rude comment about a pnm ever?
Old 09-11-2006, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

No, I have NEVER called someone white trash with money to their face. Would you want someone to call YOU white trash with money? Or for that matter, behind your back? It's very rude. Unless she did something very uncalled for, there was no need in that comment being made.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No, I have NEVER called someone white trash with money to their face. Would you want someone to call YOU white trash with money? Or for that matter, behind your back? It's very rude. Unless she did something very uncalled for, there was no need in that comment being made.

Wow. I've never called someone white trash with money either. Oh wait, yes I did - Britney Spears, nevermind.

Anyway, she didn't ask if you called someone that spesific phrase, she asked if you've ever said ANYTHING rude about a PNM. I like how you never answered that part of the question.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, I actually just read the article. No sorority collegian called her white trash. TK's daughter was having a quarrel with her friend and the friend's mother called TK's daughter "white trash with money."

This has nothing to do with recruitment. Can we move this thread?

Keith says the 21-year-old was arguing with a friend from a very wealthy family when the girl's mother intervened.

"She said (her daughter) should quit running with (my daughter)," said Keith, "because, she said, 'They're nothing but white trash with money, anyway.' My wife is very classy, and when she heard this she was mad — I mean MAD. She said, 'I'll deal with the mother.' "
Old 09-11-2006, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Did I miss something????

Keith says the 21-year-old was arguing with a friend from a very wealthy family when the girl's mother intervened.
"She said (her daughter) should quit running with (my daughter)," said Keith, "because, she said, 'They're nothing but white trash with money, anyway.' My wife is very classy, and when she heard this she was mad — I mean MAD. She said, 'I'll deal with the mother.' "

Granted I didn't read the entire thing but the "white trash with money" comment (copied from the article above) was made by a friend's mother, not by a sorority member.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You were not there, you do not know if she did, in fact, do something that was uncalled for and warranted the comment being made. Membership selection is supposed to be kept confidential, and I think that the girl is stupid for saying that when there were non-actives around. However, she is not the first girl to say something rude about a pnm, nor will she be the last. And don't say that you would not want her representing your sorority, for all that you know, she could have been a Theta.