GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,459
2 members and 2,457 guests
davidsholzeo679, JayhawkAOII

Old 08-10-2013, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's better for them not to know. It doesn't affect their odds, but it sure seems like it should and could therefore increase their stress.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quota isn't set until all bid cards are signed and turned in so the number of PNMs is totally irrelevant.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah, okay, thank you. That would make sense. I guess I'm getting a bit more nervous as recruitment gets closer! From what the panhellenic members in our Facebook group informed us, we (pnms) should be hearing from our Rho Gammas pretty soon! I have so many questions to ask her about! Haha.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

It might be time for you to take a break from rush prep. There is no possible way for you to really understand what is ahead of you or any way you can prepare yourself into having the perfect rush. At this point you've done your homework. Try to spend your time now just having fun and gathering fun experiences and memories to be able to share later.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

:s My apologies for so many questions. I will definitely do that!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Update...Kinda?

I've been lurking a while but figured since you all helped me so much, I'd at least update! I ended up having to drop out of formal recruitment after some serious considerations. I know it wasn't the best decision but I'd rather not participate than to go through recruitment, maybe end up getting a bid and not having the funds to do so, which is a long story within itself. Anyway, it'll give me time to focus on what matters most, school, and I've found some other groups I'd like to join possibly so I'll be fine being independent! I emailed Greek life and was told it is a big possibility none of the houses will be participating in COR but you never know so I'll have to see if I'm still interested once the semester really starts!
Old 08-21-2013, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiareNoire View Post
I've been lurking a while but figured since you all helped me so much, I'd at least update! I ended up having to drop out of formal recruitment after some serious considerations. I know it wasn't the best decision but I'd rather not participate than to go through recruitment, maybe end up getting a bid and not having the funds to do so, which is a long story within itself. Anyway, it'll give me time to focus on what matters most, school, and I've found some other groups I'd like to join possibly so I'll be fine being independent! I emailed Greek life and was told it is a big possibility none of the houses will be participating in COR but you never know so I'll have to see if I'm still interested once the semester really starts!
Best of luck to you. Having had to decide sometimes whether to pay dues or eat during my college career, I understand. It is important to your development to do something other than academics, however, so it's good to hear you've found other groups. College is for learning, development, and fun -- sounds like you have a line on all three.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

So I am wondering if this is a trend... Although I did not go through recruitment, I know some ladies who did. I was on Twitter and saw one of the young women I know (a freshman) posting about recruitment and in one of her tweets, she actually posted what two sororities, like the names, she *may* be receiving a bid from! I'm not too familiar with recruitment etiquette but from what I've learned on here, is that not a bad thing to do, especially on social media?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

If she's gone through preference it's probably not deadly, especially if she didn't say anything negative about either. But it is considered bad form to be too specific in advance of final decisions having been made. Just like in a job search, you never want to divulge that you're interviewing somewhere else at the same time, you shouldn't let one chapter know about the others. One thing that is hard to teach 18 year old girls is you don't have to vomit out onto the internet everything that crosses your mind.

/ETA and if she DID say anything negative, that could be grounds for one of those almost never happens but a girl CAN be cut after preference situations.

Last edited by DubaiSis; 08-27-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, ok, thank you for the response. It wasn't anything negative, at least to me; I was just a bit shocked because she just posted it out in the open. I guess some are more discreet than others.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Question...

So I am wondering about sorority events and going to them. I've generally been interested in joining a sorority since my sophomore year of college. As I am African-American, I wanted to make sure that when I decided to try joining one, I would be 100% committed to that sorority (this is why I haven't gone through formal recruitment for NPC as I was hesitant.) I've done quite a bit research on all the Greek councils to be fully informed in my decision and it's led me to be really interested in two sororities: a NPHC sorority and a NPC sorority. I am wondering if I go to events these two sororities have, is that a bad thing to do?

From all the research I've done, including a lot of threads on GC, I know that the best way for me to decide which way to go, I need to meet/interact with the members. I just don't want to be seen as someone who just wants letters. I really like what each sorority has to offer but I also want to make sure I get along with the members of each sorority chapter on my campus. I don't know if this makes sense. I just know online research can only get me so far.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Is the NPC group on your campus doing COB? Because of the way formal recruitment is set up for NPC organizations, getting your heart set on one chapter usually isn't a good idea. Now, if several groups are recruiting informally, that's a different story. You have a little more choice in deciding where you go.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, they are. I have a friend in the NPC sorority and she's helped me a bit to get more information on it. The NPC sorority has an event coming up and I am interested in possibly going.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

From the NPC perspective, in general it is expected that you would check out some chapters (in informal rush) or ALL chapters (in formal). My impression is that is not really the case in NPHC. Someone else could clarify, but I think at minimum you would want to be discreet.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
From the NPC perspective, in general it is expected that you would check out some chapters (in informal rush) or ALL chapters (in formal). My impression is that is not really the case in NPHC. Someone else could clarify, but I think at minimum you would want to be discreet.
Oh, ok. The only reason why I asked about the one NPC is because they are the only sorority I know of so far doing events. I've yet to see the others do events but if they do, I would also check them out. I just don't know of any at the moment. I've not yet signed up for COB because I want to be sure that's the route I really want to go; my friend in the NPC sorority has helped me get information on her specific group for now. As far as I know for NPHC, it isn't but I have been as discreet as possible! It is why I am wondering if it would be seen as bad to go to the events because typically interests go and if I do attend them, I don't want to just be viewed as someone who is looking for letters...

I've been to one events that was basically an program for new students to meet all of the multicultural groups on campus and the NPHC organizations were included but I am wondering more about individual events.