GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,183
0 members and 2,183 guests
No Members online

Old 06-18-2010, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Need rush events to increase numbers!

While increasing number is a must for my chapter in the upcoming year, I believe it is even more important to attract athletic and fratty type recruits in order to improve our image on campus. Anyone have any ideas? We usually do an IFC bbq, a smoker, skeet shoot, formal coffee with an alumni guest speaker, which are very generic events on campus. To top it off, we have an Around the World Party.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-18-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper252525 View Post
While increasing number is a must for my chapter in the upcoming year, I believe it is even more important to attract athletic and fratty type recruits in order to improve our image on campus. Anyone have any ideas? We usually do an IFC bbq, a smoker, skeet shoot, formal coffee with an alumni guest speaker, which are very generic events on campus. To top it off, we have an Around the World Party.
Have an Ed Hardy shirt burning in the middle of campus. I'm actually quite serious about this.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

33, that sounds like fun!

OK, seriously, stop thinking about events. Events are a waste of time and money and they are often unsuccessful - especially when you compare success to the amount of effort that went into planning the event.

Start with these articles, and then read the rest of the website. The idea is to meet as many people as possible, make friends with them, and then get them to join your fraternity. You separate the wheat from the chaff by having a set criteria of values you want to promote in your chapter.
http://www.phiredup.com/index.php?op...p=476&Itemid=2
http://www.phiredup.com/index.php?op...p=396&Itemid=2
http://www.phiredup.com/index.php?op...p=102&Itemid=2
http://www.phiredup.com/index.php?op...p=207&Itemid=2
http://www.phiredup.com/index.php?op...&p=80&Itemid=2
http://www.phiredup.com/index.php?op...&p=66&Itemid=2

I know that you're in the South, and many Southern fraternities don't like Phired Up, or think it will work on their campuses (I disagree, by the way), however if you want to improve your numbers and quality it is a surefire way to do it.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Try a well-publicized philanthropy event. It will raise awareness of your fraternity, allow you to invite and visit with potential brothers, and increase your overall reputation on campus, all while doing good for the world.

A very successfull event on my campus is an amateur boxing tournament. The supporting fraternity has consistently good rush numbers.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaTri_tz View Post
A very successfull event on my campus is an amateur boxing tournament. The supporting fraternity has consistently good rush numbers.
Dudes with shirts off.
Dudes with shirts off.
Dudes with shirts off.

Just sayin' is all
Old 06-23-2010, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

first, howd u know im from the south? ha. And I've actually read the PhiredUp articles ha. Thanks yall. And Im already workin on a concert for Lou Gherig's Disease and have a pretty popular band from this area
Old 06-24-2010, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

i think the most effective thing, rather then big events, are small get togethers where your pnm's will actually have a chance to meet and get to know people. Just go for pizza, a sports game, hang out playing video games. Little things to get to know different people. Usually with big parties you get allot of the rift raft that have no intention of joining a fraternity, they just want free booze.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
first, howd u know im from the south? ha. And I've actually read the PhiredUp articles ha. Thanks yall. And Im already workin on a concert for Lou Gherig's Disease and have a pretty popular band from this area
You said you wanted to get more "fratty" guys. That was kind of a no brainer.

And...your first post asked if anyone was from Baylor!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-25-2010, 04:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
important to attract athletic and fratty type recruits
Opposing things.

Athletic =/= Fratty.

And I'm guessing Baylor Lambda Chi. Don't got a tier system there, so who knows. I know SAE had been doing alright there for awhile.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 06-25-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Opposing things.

Athletic =/= Fratty.
Really?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Opposing things.

Athletic =/= Fratty.

And I'm guessing Baylor Lambda Chi. Don't got a tier system there, so who knows. I know SAE had been doing alright there for awhile.
Try again...he gave you a HUGE clue.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-26-2010, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Try this.

I have been doing it for summer recruitment for weeks now, and it has been working great.

Contact some of the Orientation Leaders you know, and ask them for recommendations. Find one of the recommendations they gave you on Facebook and send a message that sounds something like this:

Quote:
Hey. My name is John Smith. I'm a brother of the Alpha Beta Gamma Fraternity. We've been looking for excellent students for our Fall 2010 New Member Class. Sarah, Michael, and David from the Orientation Team gave you a really good recommendation, and told me that you would be a great fit for our chapter.

I would really like the opportunity to talk with you. Are you free for lunch any time in the next few weeks? (my treat)
I've done it with ten different people and have not gotten turned down a single time.

I think it is successful for four reasons.

1. Respect - It is a very powerful tool. Telling someone that you have singled them out for something because you think they're special is a very fast way into their heart. On top of that, by telling them that you think they're an amazing person, and that's why you think they'd be good for your Fraternity helps them understand how important your organization is to you.

2. Free Food - They're college-aged men. Some have done far worse than sit in on an awkward conversation for a free meal.

3. Openness and Directness - One of my biggest pet-peeves in the Greek Community is how some people seem to think you can get someone to join by "tricking" them into hanging out at a Fraternity event. I've seen some chapters go so far as to leave their Fraternity name off of an event flyer hoping it will get more people to come.

No. Stop. Never do that. People enjoy it when you're honest with them. If you REALLY want to avoid being treated like a "Frat Guy" stop acting like one. Don't invite them to get trashed, don't try to trick them into coming to your harmless info session, and don't play songs with subliminal messages during Freshman Move-in. Those parlor tricks don't work. Be open about what you want and assertive about why you want it.

4. They are Freshmen - These guys have just had their entire world uplifted. Gay or straight, popular or unpopular, jock or geek. They're lonely. They're worried about making friends. They want to try new things. Capitalize on the fact that they are college Freshmen.

That's my two-cents.

Last edited by ScarletBlueGold; 06-26-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:46 AM

This is a good idea, as long as it doesn't get the Orientation Leaders' asses in a sling. At some schools, they have very strict protocol they have to follow as far as advocating what groups to join, and this could be construed as such.

Easier and safer to have a brother or two (or 5) that are orientation leaders themselves, and therefore a face the guys will know going through rush.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I served a term as an orientation leader. Although it is pretty much universally accepted that it is uncool to recruit for ANY specific organization when you are at an orientation or some other mandatory Freshman event; there is a lot of grey area when it comes to referrals.

Keep in mind that what I am suggesting is very different from telling some of the Freshman to join your Fraternity. You simply ask them who THEY think represent your organizations values well, and you actively make the attempt to get in touch with the person.

When in doubt ask the staff person over the Orientation Team. The worst he can say is "no".

33girl makes a good point about having your brothers serve as Orientation Team Leaders too. It works WONDERS come recruitment time.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

First off, lambdi chi doesnt exist at Baylor or if they do, then obviously who cares, and SAE is too big here
Second, athletic usually does mean fratty
Third, touche on calling me southern bc i want fratty guys
Fourth, I like the lunch idea from recommendations, we were thinking about taking suggestions at sorority meetings and then using that to break the ice with rushes

Thanks guys, any other ideas?