GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,590
1 members and 1,589 guests
navane

Old 01-27-2012, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

help!

Hi, I will be a PNM in this coming fall and i realize thats a long way off but i want to be the best PNM ever when the time comes around! I am the kind of girl who has always had only a handful of extremely close girlfriends and usually gets along with guys much better than girls. dont get me wrong, i love girls nights and getting dressed up and watching chick flicks with my girlfriends but even though i am really talkative and funny around my friends and even kind of pretty i get really shy when im talking to confident awesome girls that ive never met before. So, given this information, could i get some advice on how to act when meeting girls at recruitment and give a great impression? i dont want them to think im super shy but i dont want to come off as "im super awesome everyone thinks so" either.. help?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-27-2012, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

There are many posts which are very, very similar to this already and the question has been very thoroughly addressed, I believe. Try searching the forum and if there's something specific you can't find an answer to, come back and ask.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, ya I have read quite a few I haven't found any that will specifically help me get along with girls better or help me really show who I really am, do you know of any like that? Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-28-2012, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophmorePNM View Post
Thanks, ya I have read quite a few I haven't found any that will specifically help me get along with girls better or help me really show who I really am, do you know of any like that? Thanks for the reply!
Depending on the school you're at, you might have a more difficult time since you're a sophomore. If your school is mentioned in this thread, then rushing as a sophomore will be harder than if you were a freshman. If it isn't, then it won't be so bad. If your school is mentioned in that thread, make sure you get recommendation letters for EVERY sorority on your campus right away. Contact your local alumnae Panhellenic or see if you have friends/acquaintances from your hometown who are sorority women.

Make sure that you maintain a good GPA. Most campuses require that a PNM has at least a 2.5 to participate in recruitment. Individual sororities may have higher requirements. To be on the safe side, I would say maintain at least a 3.0, if possible. Also, try to get involved around campus this semester so you will have things to talk about during recruitment. Sororities love to see a PNM that is already getting involved and making a difference in the community.

Other than securing recommendation letters, if necessary, the best thing you can do to prepare for recruitment is to practice your conversation skills. Have conversations with people you don't know in class. If you're not outgoing, get used to the idea of having conversations about yourself with people you don't know. Make sure you have a few talking points that you can bring up that show who you are. For example, if you were a dancer most of your life, find some interesting stories about that you can tell. If you were an equestrian, talk about that. If you went on a really awesome summer vacation to Italy, talk about that. Even if you didn't do anything so exciting, find something that was memorable and meaningful to you and be ready to talk about it. There are a couple of helpful threads in the sorority recruitment forum that can point you in the right direction in this area.

Make sure that by the time fall recruitment rolls around, you're ready to show the sororities the best version of yourself. Make sure that you look your personal best. If you don't go out and fake tan, highlight your hair, and get your nails done regularly, don't do that. If you're more of a natural girl, make sure you get a touch-up haircut 2 weeks before recruitment. Make sure your nails look presentable. Your wardrobe selection can be very important, depending on where you go to school. Whatever the style is, make sure it's flattering to you and that you feel confident in it.

I know that going into recruitment as a sophomore can be intimidating, but as long as you prepare the best you can, you'll be just fine. I had a successful sophomore recruitment and found my perfect home. You can read my story if you want. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2012, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks so much! i will totally read your story if i havent already
Old 03-30-2012, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

this was really helpful thank you