GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,756
0 members and 1,756 guests
No Members online

Old 01-12-2002, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Thoughts Anyone?

"I have been so disgusted with the endless bickering, the pettiness, selfish motives, and lack of cooperation which continue to persist in Delta to the detriment of any constructive program which might be undertaken, that I have all but despaired. I can only wonder at your having the heart to carry on in the face of these discouraging conditions. Of course someone must carry if we are to justify our existence and live up to our high purpose, but does it not follow that in all these years we would have learned the elemental lesson of cooperation? Will we never grow up as an organization? Think of the precious years and energy and money we waste in fighting over trivial things, the little petty personal differences which should be lost sight of in the united effort to put over some truly worthwhile program....which will be a credit to us. What have we as an organization to show for the years?" Osceola McCarthy Adams April 16,1947
Old 01-12-2002, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

could be any org. . .

wow. . .that's deep. . .it makes me think about what my own founders said while they were alive. We're not all so lucky to have so much archival information available for our organizations.

Thanks for giving me something to think about.
Old 01-12-2002, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Wow!! What Soror Founder said is very much on tap with not just Delta but the Divine 9, the Black race, the world as a whole. There is so much divisiveness in our world. I am a part of the problem and need to elevate myself to become part of the solution.

Thank you for sharing. This is so timely as we celebrate our organization's 89th Founder's Day. We need to endeavor to continue not just Delta's legacy but all of our org's legacies.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

yes indeed Soror..and I am so glad that this wasn't erased as it was in another message board in which I originally posted it in. It is beginning to seem to me that for that particular forum, if something is said that isn't believed to be the norm of the ring leader of the site there's a problem and deletion before any sort of dialog can take place.. With Founders' Day coming up in less than 30 minutes, I've taken quite a bit of time to reflect on the things that I have done as well as the actions of my initiating chapter since I have been a member (Sp 94 OXi Emory University) as well as the actions of those that are not members of my chapter. Just looking at where the org is headed and how things are beginning to appear to those that are on the outside looking in. Then looking at how the entire Greek system has seemed to stray away from its original past. I'm just at a point in my life where I am tired of looking at history solely to satisfy my soul.
Old 01-13-2002, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IInd2Nun
yes indeed Soror..and I am so glad that this wasn't erased as it was in another message board in which I originally posted it in. It is beginning to seem to me that for that particular forum, if something is said that isn't believed to be the norm of the ring leader of the site there's a problem and deletion before any sort of dialog can take place.. With Founders' Day coming up in less than 30 minutes, I've taken quite a bit of time to reflect on the things that I have done as well as the actions of my initiating chapter since I have been a member (Sp 94 OXi Emory University) as well as the actions of those that are not members of my chapter. Just looking at where the org is headed and how things are beginning to appear to those that are on the outside looking in. Then looking at how the entire Greek system has seemed to stray away from its original past. I'm just at a point in my life where I am tired of looking at history solely to satisfy my soul.
I saw the posting on the other message board, as I have seen it here. I found it very thought-provoking and timely. I will say one thing, it seems that the protocol in this forum vs. other forums are different. There are some conversations I agree with here and others I don't. And the same goes for other forums. The point is, we all don't have identical thoughts, that's the beauty of our organization. We (and all greeks) need to focus on what's important.....public service.

Besides, it is always at the moderator's discretion to delete what they want in here and any other forum. I wouldn't take it personally. Besides, you got what you were looking for....a dialogue on the comment.

Last edited by Virtual Violet; 01-13-2002 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Thoughts Anyone?

Quote:
"I have been so disgusted with the endless bickering, the pettiness, selfish motives, and lack of cooperation which continue to persist in Delta to the detriment of any constructive program which might be undertaken, that I have all but despaired. I can only wonder at your having the heart to carry on in the face of these discouraging conditions. Of course someone must carry if we are to justify our existence and live up to our high purpose, but does it not follow that in all these years we would have learned the elemental lesson of cooperation? Will we never grow up as an organization? Think of the precious years and energy and money we waste in fighting over trivial things, the little petty personal differences which should be lost sight of in the united effort to put over some truly worthwhile program....which will be a credit to us. What have we as an organization to show for the years?" Osceola McCarthy Adams April 16,1947
May I ask where did you find this?--it is indeed thought provoking.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 01-14-2002, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

The quote is from In Search of Sisterhood, written by Soror Paula Giddings, pg. 188.

I find this quote very appropriate as we celebrate another Founders Day. As reflected in Founder Osceola Macarthy Adams statement, Delta has always been an organization that performs self-appraisals periodically to access her position as a service sorority. Self-appraisals of an organization sometimes are painful, but are a necessary measures that must be performed if the organization is to survive and meet the changing needs of society. Delta has always taken active measures to ensure that her course of action conforms to her original purpose. Actually a self-appraisal led to the founding of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.

I have read a lot of books, articles, and other documents on sororities particularly the early years of their founding and I have discovered that from the public documents available that most of these sororities have performed self-appraisals as well. If you read Too Heavy A Load: Black Women In Defense of Themselves 1894-1994 by Deborah Gray White you will find a lot of interesting quotes from Founders, National Officers and other members of sororities and other service organizations (such as the NCNW) who have addressed such issues as the development of relevant service programs within the black community, the paper bag test, elitism within sororities, pettiness within sororities, self-appraisals of organizations, and several other issues that you will find of interest.

Peace and Delta Love,
Ms. Public Service
2AG86SP
Old 01-14-2002, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DableST_1
Talking WOW

Wow thank you soror, That quote really makes one think. Although I have read In Search Of Sisterhood" more than three times, it never fails, I always find something new in it.
Old 01-15-2002, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority INC
Omicron Xi Chapter Spr 94

how do i get this as my signature?
Old 01-15-2002, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority INC
Omicron Xi Chapter Spr 94

how do i get this as my signature?
Go to USER CP button @ the top and it is either Edit Profile or Edit Options. You can do it in color too.
Old 01-15-2002, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 4everDST
Makes you ponder...

WOW! That was awsome. I took some time to do some soul searching as that passage relates to me in Delta, at work, in my spiritual life, and at home.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Re: Thoughts Anyone?

Quote:
"I have been so disgusted with the endless bickering, the pettiness, selfish motives, and lack of cooperation which continue to persist in Delta to the detriment of any constructive program which might be undertaken, that I have all but despaired..." Osceola McCarthy Adams April 16,1947
I agree 1913% with my beloved Soror Founder Adams, and since the topic is open to discussion, I will share my most honest, sincere feelings. In a nutshell, we spend WAY TOO MUCH TIME arguing over petty, insignificant things like:
1. having "oo-oop" as a call
2. sorors acknowledging a bond with Omega Psi Phi
3. the definition of "active" (paying dues vs. doing work)
4. appropriate vs. inappropriate songs to step/stroll/strut to
5. alumnae vs. collegiates
(just to name a few)

We talk/brag about our loving SISTERHOOD, but some of us break our necks dissin' the Sorors and the Sorority in public forums like these-- using text from private e-mails to publically bash our own sisters and/or to gain support for our own "selfish motives" and party-platforms.

We say we treasure our Delta HISTORY, but we seem to have developed amnesia about the relationship between those phenomenal Howard collegiates of 1913 and the 3 Musketeers of Omega Psi Phi.

We claim to value the hands-on public service of our Sorors, but we treat dues-payers who DON'T do the work with more respect than non-financial sorors who really want to help. (Because, of course, it doesn't matter what circumstances prevent a soror from being financial--she's just a menace to Delta if she is).

We say we're an anti-hazing organization and we criticize those who participate in hazing activities, yet some of us never hesitate to tell the WHOLE WORLD details of our hazing pledgeship as a means of soliciting respect or validating our membership. For God's sake--If you're against hazing, then DON'T TALK ABOUT IT--especially not publically!!!

I really do love Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated, with ALL MY HEART. And, saying these things now is hurting me to the point of tears as I type. But, I have to admit that I am discouraged by the lack of unity and absence of mutual respect among some members. I try to do everything I can to embody the ideals of the Sisterhood, but it makes my heart bleed when fellow Sorors fail to do the same. I have had my e-mails and forum posts spread across the 'Net as a means to make me appear unworthy of membership simply because I held fast and first to my opinions, and because those opinions conflicted with those of others. So... do we REALLY value a difference of opinion among our Sorors, or is that just talk? Is this a Sisterhood or a Fortune 500 company in which the voices of the peons ( i.e. collegiates and inactives) are muted so that the officers and exec board members can listen only to themselves?

They call me RENEGADE. I have been ostracized by sorors because I spoke my mind about how things should/shouldn't be done according to what I learned on my journey to Deltaland. I've been denied offices within the chapter because sorors feared that my leadership would mean "change." I've been scorned by sorors for not being financial, yet never offered a helping hand during my financial struggles (some of which involved me taking care of a chronically ill brother). Some sorors don't even speak to me and they ignore my "call" (leaving me to look/feel foolish in the face of passers-by), yet I am criticized for not attending alumnae chapter meetings. Am I less of a Delta because I'd rather not mingle with people who are mean and rude to me?

Just look at this forum, for instance? For those of you who posted 2 years ago when we were just getting the ball rolling, you'll recall how free and open we could be--without breaking codes of secrecy, of course. Now, it's a cheesy, playskool board on which we spend hours and hours talking about nothing-- listing favorite this' and thats; talking about TV/movies or celebrities who could really careless what we think; asking questions about our love lives; and really just taking up cyberspace. And WHY?!?!?!? Because a few bullies have frightened us into censorship 'cuz we aren't saying what THEY want us to say.

I have NEVER regretted my decision to pledge ALL MY LOVE to DST. And, to those of you who are considering membership, I still encourage you to keep your eyes on the prize, but ONLY IF YOU ARE TRULY ABOUT SISTERHOOD AND PUBLIC SERVICE.

--If you are just trying to hold a high office in the org-- we don't need ya! We already have our share of that.

--If you're insecure or have low self-esteem and are longing to be popular or the apple of the frat boys' eyes--we don't need ya! We already have our share of that.

--If you'd be easily swayed or intimidated by what older Deltas say/think and you don't value your OWN opinion enough to stand by it and express it-- we don't need ya! We already have our share of that.

--If you only feel better about yourself when you are able to put someone else down or make them look bad--we don't need ya! We already have our share of that.

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated needs PROGRESSION not REGRESSION!

To answer your questions, Soror Founder:

" ...does it not follow that in all these years we would have learned the elemental lesson of cooperation?"
--You would think so. But, alas! 'Tis not the case when membership consists of I's and Me's instead of Us' and We's.

"Will we never grow up as an organization?"
--Not if we continue to create divides within the organization and not if we put SELF MOTIVES/INTERESTS/OPINIONS above the virtues, motto, and thrust of the Sorority.

"What have we as an organization to show for the years?"
--If things don't change for the better, we'll just have the following equation: Discension + Discouragement = Disbanding

Soror Founder Adams, I am sad to report that things have gotten worse, not better. I will continue to pray for the positive growth and success of my Sisterhood and for EACH and EVERY Soror therein--selfish & altrusitic; active & inactive; T-shirt wearer & service-oriented; collegiate & alumna; paper & real; old skool & new skool; black college & white college; single letter & new chapter; I LOVE ALL MY SORORS OF DST, even the ones who have hurt me and those who've lost sight of your mission. My sincere prayer is that we WILL discard these many divides, kill the petty differences, and embrace one another in the name of Jesus Christ (1st) and Sisterhood (2nd) so that we may come together as ONE BODY to do good for others. Isn't that what you and the other 21 wanted? A TRUE DELTA SOROR KNOWS THAT IT IS AND LIVES HER LIFE AS SUCH, BOTH IN AND OUT OF DELTA.

To my fellow sorors and moderators, I apologize if you feel this is too much, but I had to say it in hopes that the ones who need to read it do and are touched positively by what I've shared. We'll never get where we want to be if we keep our mouths shut for fear of what others may think.

And I'm Out!

Last edited by the411; 01-15-2002 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2002, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Three_Love
Ooooweee!!!

Oowee Soror 411, you went ALL THE WAY there.

Regarding the comments from our Founder:

"endless bickering, the pettiness, the selfish motives, and lack of cooperation"
UM...any organization, especially one as large as Delta AND full of WOMEN (altho men can be petty and selfish), is going to have these problems. Nothing we can do about that, because some people who become Deltas happen to be petty, selfish, uncooperative, and like to bicker.

"...to the detriment of any constructive program"
I ABSOLUTELY (but respectfully of course) disagree with this comment from our Founder. Yes, we have pettiness, etc. like most large organizations, but it is not to the "detriment of any constructive program". Delta has local, regional, and national programs that are a benefit to the community and extremely constructive. The Dr. Betty Shabazz Delta Academy, Summit V, and Delta Teen Lift, to name a few, not to mention the THOUSANDS of scholarship dollars we give out, and our upcoming International Day of Service on March 9, where all Delta chapters WORLDWIDE will be sponsoring AIDS initiatives. WE DEFINITELY HAVE CONSTRUCTIVE PROGRAMS, in spite of the bickering and pettiness.

"What have we as an organization to show for the years?"
Over 900 chapters, 200,000 sorors, a house along Embassy Row in Washington DC, thousands of students who could not have made it through college without scholarships from Delta, um...I would continue, but I'm already going to be long with this.

NOW TO ADDRESS SOROR 411'S COMMENTS...
Phew, let me begin by saying that this is, of course, all in sisterly love...

I agree that arguments about "oo-oop" (I love it), the Coleman Bond (I'm all for it), and alumnae vs. collegiates (we have no choice as to how we were made) are petty.

But our organization NEEDS to discuss the definition of active.
While I'd rather have a non-financial member who will put in work, they are no better than the financial member who doesn't work. In my opinion, BOTH of them are not living up to their lifetime commitment to Delta. Yes, Delta is about public service, but Delta also has BILLS, which is what our dues help to pay. What good is it to have someone who is willing to wash the dishes in the house if we can't afford to pay the mortgage on the house? We need sorors who will perform public service, YES, but we also DESPERATELY need sorors who pay their dues. In other words, we gotta pay the bills AND do the housework.

And there are definitely songs that are inappropriate for use at a Step Show.
Sorry, but I don't want to see any of my sorors at a step show dancing to "B*tch Betta have my Money", no matter how funky the beat is.

While I don't "scorn" non-financial sorors, I don't think it's right.
I can't write a check for anyone - my money is tight. But I made a lifetime commitment that also includes a FINANCIAL commitment, and if it takes me scraping up $2 a week to save for an entire year, I am going to at the very minimum pay my national dues and go MAL. Sorors have a million excuses for not paying their dues...but when the time came and they were given X hours to come up with those EXORBITANT pledge fees, SORORS FOUND A WAY (AND ONE OF THE REASONS PLEDGE FEES ARE SO EXORBITANT IS BECAUSE NOT ENOUGH SORORS PAY THEIR DUES, SO NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS NEEDS THE MONEY). Even collegiates, who are a lot of times extremely broke, find a way to pay those pledge fees when they make line. I say, if you could find a way to scrape up $400+ dollars to pledge, then you ought to be able to find a way to go MAL.

To prospects out there, the commitment to Delta, in addition to public service, is also a FINANCIAL commitment. Yes, we are about sisterhood and public service, but without the dues paying members, we can't have sisterhood and public service. I was at a Rush this past weekend and Soror Boyd was there - she said, "if you're cheap, then Delta is not for you, because it's EXPENSIVE to be a Delta." AND to any non-financial sorors out there, I AM NOT CALLING YOU CHEAP BY ANY MEANS - like I said, I can't write a check for you. But you must realize that you aren't living up to the commitment you made to the sorority. It isn't nice to hear that, but it's the truth - and the majority of the sorority is non-financial.

As far as not attending alumnae meetings because of "people who are mean and rude", you have only two choices.
The first is to find another alumnae chapter in your area. If there is only one alumnae chapter in your area, then your ONLY choice is to go to that chapter and FIND the sorors in it who are NOT mean and rude. While every chapter has their crazies, I'd be willing to guarantee that at least one soror in that chapter will embrace you. AND if NO soror in that chapter embraces you, if by some wild chance that alumnae chapter is 100% mean and rude (which I doubt), then it is your DUTY as a DELTA to join that chapter and be the ONE SOROR who welcomes the NEXT soror with open arms. YOU HAVE TO JOIN AND BE THE ONE SOROR WHO IS NOT MEAN AND RUDE, so that when the NEXT soror comes along, she won't be discouraged.

the411 also wrote, "If you are trying to hold a high office in the org--we don't need ya. We already have our share of that"
Again, I disagree soror. We NEED sorors who are willing to hold leadership positions at ALL levels. I know of chapters who are desperate for someone to step up and run for president or treasurer or one of the other more demanding offices. I say, don't DISCOURAGE potential members who want to hold a high office - Delta ALWAYS needs leaders.

Okay, that's about all...for now anyway, LOL.

And like I said, I LOVE ALL my sorors, non-financial, financial, workers, non-workers, whoever. But I have NO RESPECT for the T-shirt wearer. Got much Delta Love for her, but respect, uh, naw, sorry. I worked too hard and waited too long for DST to have respect for those who just want to have the fun parts of Delta while ignoring the work part. It's fun to wear a shirt and oo-oop and go to parties - the hard part is getting up on Saturday morning for meeting and service projects.

And as always, I have no problem with "agreeing to disagree". I welcome commentary and discussion, even if it is a differing opinion than mine.
Old 01-15-2002, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh My!

With all sisterly respect to The 411, I do agree with Three Love.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!

Last edited by ladygreek; 01-15-2002 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I found the quote interesting and some of the issues will always be amongst any organization, but we can't use these complaints and differences as reasons to stay away. We must also remember that there is a difference between a "member" and a "soror" and members are the ones that impact our organization. DST lacks strong leadership at so many levels and we can't let Internet squabbles or venting be used as a substitute for meaningful dialogue to the appropriate parties and/or panels. I hope all sorors can have the positive experience I have had as a member and it hurts me when I encounter a soror that has let her membership lapse and has been hurt by things that other members have said or done to her. My only words are, "don't give up" but also don't close your eyes to seeing the full potential of Delta. BGLO electronic discussions and debates worry me, but I can't take them personal - I have people that ignore my message board posts because I don't "identify" myself. Why? Because I think putting personal information on the Internet is IDIOTIC!! In fact, I wish chapters would be forbidden from putting initiation names and dates on websites - too many fakes roaming out there as it is. Guess what, I don't just have to file that complaint here for debate, I can bring it up at a chapter or state meeting and even straight to Grand Chapter. WHY because when I became a soror I took a pledge ro remain a member and not just as an MAL because someone made me mad and I no longer can function in a chapter! I don't have to live through electronic forums because I participate in real Delta forums - they're called chapter meetings, service projects, leadership meetings, state clusters, national conventions and regional conferences!! So let's not trip over messages being deleted or dialogues being thwarted because at the end of the day - they aren't the mediums that matter.

Last edited by CrucialCrimson; 01-15-2002 at 11:08 PM.