GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,479
1 members and 2,478 guests
No Members online

Old 09-26-2013, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=knight_shadow;2242837]Lol. I'm thinking this person thought you were talking about THIS Circle K: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_K

Nah, this one: http://www.circlek.org/home.aspx
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-26-2013, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm confused as to what help you need. You haven't asked a question or expressed what this need is. We've gone around and around about a point that WE are confused about, but what exactly do YOU need help with?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-26-2013, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I'm confused as to what help you need. You haven't asked a question or expressed what this need is. We've gone around and around about a point that WE are confused about, but what exactly do YOU need help with?
The first post (from December) originally asked for help about how to deal with the Greek Life Office and IFC. Some quotes from the original are left in my first post in the thread. But you'll notice the first post was edited two days ago, and that edit was basically a "never mind, we're seeking recognition from the town instead," which started the questions on our end.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Yea, I am familiar with it, but with the store reference, I think he was confused.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
The first post (from December) originally asked for help about how to deal with the Greek Life Office and IFC. Some quotes from the original are left in my first post in the thread. But you'll notice the first post was edited two days ago, and that edit was basically a "never mind, we're seeking recognition from the town instead," which started the questions on our end.
I see we are still not back up to speed on QFPing. Thanks for catching me up.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-29-2013, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Yeah, I'm not clear as to whether he's looking to house anyone. I mean if he wants to go rent a suburban storefront and have that be a meeting place, I doubt he'd have any problems doing that.

If, on the other hand, he wants to house 20 people and have meeting space, that's a whole different ball of wax. I don't think he's being very clear as to what this alpha chapter even is... it's a student organization... but it's not. It's a fraternity, but they don't want to be recognized as one by the school.

And in my city, for Greek houses to fall under the Greek House exception in the city code, we have to live within certain boundaries and have to be recognized by the school.
She and no, we will be requesting use of one of their buildings for meetings, and no we will not house nor do we want to. It's part of our constitution that houses not be required and no one be forced to live in house, if a house is so desired. We want to be recognized by the school, but they want us to change what makes us, us. Yes, there are all the requirements for a Fraternity there, but, they do not like our core constitution. It is nothing bad at all, and as a matter of fact, we believe they have a problem with it because we proved them wrong on a key point in their system that we believe is faulty. If you would like to know what it is you may message me, because for the most part, our constitution is not public. We do show it to those who inquire about it though because our constitution is not secret, but we don't advertise it either.

Friendship. Growth. Protection.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Of course, every town has civic organizations, and every town has groups—civic organizations or otherwise—that the town allows to use town property as meeting space, as long as certain criteria are met. That's nothing new.

But I've never heard of a town "recognizing" a fraternity or sorority in the same way that a college or university "recognizes" student groups. That's the concept that's throwing me—"recognition," which suggests some level of approval and oversight, permission to function even, not just equal access to facilities.

But that's not recognition of a fraternity per se. That's a housing code. The town isn't approving the operation of the chapter, just the building its members live in.

And if the reason they're going to the town is meeting space, I'm guessing there's no house involved.
Yes, we have an adviser, yes we have a Greek affiliated person helping us, and like I said ALPHA chapter is the only chapter doing this. Beta is fully recognized and affiliated. Gamma colony will be the same, if it is opened. If it is opened, it will be when I travel to NY for spring break. We have tried, and tried with the school and they refuse to listen to us and we have been told to our faces that we aren't a real fraternity by Greek leaders here and mainly just because we are not part of any Nationals and have no "history". I pointed out to them that when their org started, they had no history and were probably not associated with any Nationals as well. And they usually walk away at that point. It's just a game of locals versus nationals here. So, like I said, JUST Alpha chapter having issues. And yes, we have help with everything we are doing by other, older, individuals who do know what we have to do. Just waiting on our Inc. papers....still....and we will be joining the NMGC within a few years after we get a few more chapters/colonies open because we will have to have more insurance when we join them.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Yea, I am familiar with it, but with the store reference, I think he was confused.
Yes I was, because I have worked at a circle k and it is a gas station here.....

Old 09-29-2013, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Sorry about the confusion! This is a really old post and I've been trying to just answer the questions others have about the changes.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ΣKΞFounder View Post
Yes, we have an adviser, yes we have a Greek affiliated person helping us, and like I said ALPHA chapter is the only chapter doing this. Beta is fully recognized and affiliated. Gamma colony will be the same, if it is opened. If it is opened, it will be when I travel to NY for spring break. We have tried, and tried with the school and they refuse to listen to us and we have been told to our faces that we aren't a real fraternity by Greek leaders here and mainly just because we are not part of any Nationals and have no "history". I pointed out to them that when their org started, they had no history and were probably not associated with any Nationals as well. And they usually walk away at that point. It's just a game of locals versus nationals here. So, like I said, JUST Alpha chapter having issues. And yes, we have help with everything we are doing by other, older, individuals who do know what we have to do. Just waiting on our Inc. papers....still....and we will be joining the NMGC within a few years after we get a few more chapters/colonies open because we will have to have more insurance when we join them.
We get that it's just Alpha chapter. What we're not understanding is the idea that a fraternity or sorority would be "recognized" by a muinicipality, unless "recognized" in this context means something different from what it means when a school recognizes a GLO.

As far the counter that other chapters on campus were probably not associated with national orgs when founded—maybe, maybe not. Unless the chapters started as locals that were absorbed by national groups, they likely started as colonies of national orgs.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We get that it's just Alpha chapter. What we're not understanding is the idea that a fraternity or sorority would be "recognized" by a muinicipality, unless "recognized" in this context means something different from what it means when a school recognizes a GLO.

As far the counter that other chapters on campus were probably not associated with national orgs when founded—maybe, maybe not. Unless the chapters started as locals that were absorbed by national groups, they likely started as colonies of national orgs.
I meant when their org first started out, as in from the beginning, not the chapters. And what we mean by recognized is registered as a Non-profit with the town and recognized as such. (We are a non-profit GLO waiting for out Inc. papers, still.) And like I said we are also Multicultural and plan on joining NMGC when we expand more so we can afford the insurance we need. I've inquired about it and all chapters are ready to expand and grow. We are starting our own National chairs for our Fraternity this winter term. Positions and who won the election for those positions will be posted once it is determined.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And what we mean by recognized is registered as a Non-profit with the town and recognized as such.
So simply registered as a non-profit org, not as a fraternity. That makes more sense. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So simply registered as a non-profit org, not as a fraternity. That makes more sense. Thanks.
We are still with our Beta and we are still Greek. Just because the Alpha's are having issues does not mean they should be cast out from the Fraternity. We do not believe that is right. We just received our papers today and we are officially Sigma Kappa Xi Multicultural Fraternity Inc. and we are all very proud and excited to be a non-prof Inc. fraternity.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We are still with our Beta and we are still Greek. Just because the Alpha's are having issues does not mean they should be cast out from the Fraternity. We do not believe that is right. We just received our papers today and we are officially Sigma Kappa Xi Multicultural Fraternity Inc. and we are all very proud and excited to be a non-prof Inc. fraternity.
So you've gotten your 501 C 7 Letter of Determination from the IRS?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Congrats on your incorporation! I am an incorporator of Gamma Xi Phi. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
So you've gotten your 501 C 7 Letter of Determination from the IRS?
You don't need to have a determination letter to be incorporated or refer to yourself as nonprofit. One should have plans to get one eventually, but they will get that done on the time frame which works for them.

ETA: For the record, I am not saying that it is proper or legal for them to pretend to have a tax-status that they do not have or to accept donations or apply for grants meant for 501 (c)(3) organizations. I am saying that the tax determination letter is not the most important thing for a young organization. Incorporation is good, getting a (c)(7) or (c)(10) tax designation is a nice goal, as is trademarking the symbols and securing insurance. When you're a small organization of limited means, you take one thing at a time.

One can identify as a nonprofit org on the local/state level without having a federal designation.

Last edited by Sen's Revenge; 10-07-2013 at 10:50 PM.