GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,296
1 members and 1,295 guests
znathanhulzeo24

Old 11-26-2001, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Question bad reputation???

do you think that fraternities/sororities get a bad reputation for no good reason?

i posted this on the youthink.com website and the replies were awful (i mean they were so rude), but they mostly came from those who were not greek and didn't fully understand what its like to be in a greek organization. i just thought i would see what some of my fellow greeks had to say about this?
Old 11-26-2001, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Like you mentioned, I do think most of the negative ideas about Greek life/Greeks in general come from people who are not Greek. My mom is not in a Greek organization, so when I told her I was joining a sorority she was like, " All Greek orgs. do is cause problems, seperate people in relation to socioeconomic status, and make people do crazy things (hazing)."

As usual, I did not listen to my mom and joined my sorority. I am glad I did.
Old 11-26-2001, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Well like I said on you think .com, that yes Greek Orgs get a bad rep. I mean people get a bad perception of Greeks frm Tv,rumors, movies, the news and obviously just feeling sketchy when people see some of the bad and harmful things some people participate in. Really we can't change the way people think by just telling them we do good things and we actually stand for something meaningful. I mean we can try till we are blue in the face and it still won't matter. What we should do is let people see the good we do, show them the work we do and I am sure that work and pride will speak for it's self!
DGPhoney~
Old 11-26-2001, 11:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
I think maybe these people's perceptions come from greek life from a long time ago. Plus, movies like "Animal House", "Revenge of the Nerds" and some lifetime movie called "Dying to belong" (a New Memeber ends up dying bc of hazing). don't help. I mean, has there ever been one movie or tv show that has shown greeks in a positive light? i mean, look at "Dawson's Creek" right now. They are making that fraternity look rediculous for just accepting whats-his-name because he is gay and that line "everyone here is just filling their role" really pissed me off.
I mean, with the amount of greeks out there, why aren't there any good media outlets where we are shown as something positive?
Old 11-26-2001, 12:18 PM

I agree that overall the Greeks have a bad rep. Most of it is the media's fault......they love to splash the isolated incidents all over the place, but who ever hears about all of the positive contributions we make to the community?

My personal feeling is that jealousy is also a big motivator for a lot of the greek bashing. Let's face it, the greeks tend to be the cream of the crop socially, academically, and often financially. It is a selective and exclusive lifestyle, and I think it evokes a lot of similar feelings for people that 5th grade cliques and not being in the "popular" crowd in high school do. But that isn't our problem, it's theirs. The bottom line is, there have been these feelings about greeks for decades and it isn't going away, no matter what we do or how we try to promote ourselves positively. Fortunately, we are big enough (and bring enough money to the campuses) that nobody is going to get rid of us. I always just ignored the pettiness and enjoyed myself.
Old 11-26-2001, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that it is all about PR.

Not many positive things go in the paper or TV. It isn't intresting to hear about how many community service hours Greeks do, it is intresting to hear about how a group made a mistake or had a party that got busted. NOW, if groups did not do such things they couldn't be reported...

I think all groups should focus on getting the word out even about the smallest of events. PR is great for recruitment...and everthing else! We need to show not only our potential members our strengths, but our publics as well!
Old 11-26-2001, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

While there will, unfortunately, be mis-informed that will always spread untruths about sororities and fraternities, there are always situations where Greeks spread unfounded rumours against other Greek organizations. Are they jealous, or think that they are better than the other group or whatever or a XQY stole my bf/gf??

I just saw another post about a store not accepting orders from a particular sorority b/c of a sister who used foul language.

So, to paraphrase Pogo, "We has met the enemy and he is us". Let's not cut down other Greeks; it affects us all and our future members.

BTW, I posted a response on www.youthink.com about some great things that AGD and Sigma Nu have done recently...mine is the last post as of a couple of days ago..hope Aprily gets the hint that not all Greeks are self-absorbed twerps.

Last edited by AGDLynn; 11-26-2001 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-26-2001, 09:05 PM

There are people out there who want to be Greek, if there weren't we couldn't still be organizations who select their members. But it seems like there is no middle ground in the way we are thought of.

If we drink too much we're alcoholics....if we don't drink enough we're nerds or prudes. If we are too selective we're snobs...if we're not selective enough we're losers or "just looking for money."

In just about every instance, damned if we do and damned if we don't.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:00 PM

I agree, 33girl. Not to bash on the idea of choosing an average looking girl who has fantastic qualities, because that's fine, but it seems that in the eternal quest to be pc beauty has become a detriment. Why is it assumed that a beautiful girl is going to be shallow, self-centered, promiscuous, and irresponsible? I don't know about everyone else, but my chapter prided itself on drawing members who were witty, financially responsible, involved, outgoing, self-respecting, kind, fun, smart, AND beautiful! I don't think that just because you have a house full of gorgeous girls you are automatically one of "those" houses. I know that our reputation, especially with the guys, was not like that. Just my two cents in defense of the beautiful girls.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Why is everything in italics?
Old 11-26-2001, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GmuTeke
if you can't go greek...

everyone know how some finish that sentence?

Alot of nasty things can be said during on campus, even by other people in GLO's. PR and education are key to improving everyone's reputation, not only the Greek Community, but our own GLO as well.
Old 11-27-2001, 09:00 AM

Thumbs up

You hit it on the head, Teke....unfortunately a lot of the greek bashing comes from within!!!!!

One big way that greeks could really improve their image would be to stop a lot of the petty b.s. A little competition is healthy, especially during Greek Week, philanthropy weeks, etc. But nobody needs to compete all the time.

Not that this makes it okay, but don't feel bad, Teke....the Tekes are far from being the only ones with a disparaging "jingle." I can't think of a chapter that doesn't have one. But right there is part of the problem. Take rush, for instance. Ok, there's going to be some competition.....that's fine. But you have to draw the line at sabotage, rumor-spreading, and dirty rushing. We used to send cards to all the chapters wishing them good luck, and we would post a note in the school paper saying essentially "have a good rush." And we were hardly the model of positive relations, though we weren't nearly as bad as some.

To the "strong" chapters, I would suggest this: be grateful for where you are. It could all fall apart in only a year or two, even if you think it could never happen. Extend assistance to the chapters in need, even if it is just your friendship and support. You just might make a difference and gain some new friends along the way. To the "weak" chapters, I would say this: don't let envy cause you to stray from "the golden rule." Instead of trying to pull the strong chapters down, try to pull yourself up. If you have to try and make someone else look bad in order to make yourself look good, there is a problem. Learn from the others and try to pick up on what they are doing right.

We had really cool T-shirts for Greek Week my freshman year.....the focus was on one family, one greek community. The shirts had a great line on them: "No matter what the letter, we're all Greek together." We can start to make a difference, but it has to come from within.
Old 11-27-2001, 09:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
EXACTLY on what GMUTeke and ErikaXO said. A lot of folks at my school would've gone greek if they didn't think they'd lose half of their friends. Everyone in greek organizations there bashes other greeks, and thusly, creates huge riffs. This makes it seem as if we wouldn't be friends if we were in different sororities.

GMU, as for your TKE saying, that's bullshit TKE used to be the hugest fraternity on my campus when I was there, and some of the greatest guys I met in college. So F those who say that crap

And as Erika said, those who belong to strong chapters should thank their lucky stars, because being the strong chapter is such a fragile thing. Every chapter has their ups and downs. One of the chapters I advise used to be in the toilet basically, and they've totally turned things around, but now they've become snotty about it. I told them "A few years ago, you guys were in the toilet and on the brink of being closed. Don't go thinking you're the best now, even if it's true, because you were once where the smaller chapters are now."

**stepping off soapbox**
Old 11-27-2001, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GmuTeke
Quote:
Originally posted by shadokat
So F those who say that crap
that's what we say too, it still stings Erica, I really liked your greek week shirt, i think that's a good slogan that i might have to suggest for our Greek Week stuff.
Old 11-27-2001, 03:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
We had that t-shirt for greek week, and it had all of the greek organizations arranged into a peace sign. It was very cool