GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,344
1 members and 2,343 guests
No Members online

Old 12-16-2010, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

It's 100% true that the University is negotiating with FIJI to buy their house to expand the law school- so yes, there is land available.

But it's one of the conditions of extension that the chapter would be extending without the promise of being able to build a house. IU has a huge space issue right now. The University has over 40,000 students now and the dorms are filled to the gills. Classrooms are overcrowded- there isn't enough space. The other land is being saved for building new academic buildings and for relocating....

What the University is hoping to do is buy out all the sororities (Kappa, Pi Phi, Alpha PHi, Tri-Delt) and fraternities (Lambda Chi, Delta U, Delta Chi, Acacia, and FIJI) on third street and move them to the extension. They're saving the few lots of land for that.

The best hope for any chapter wanting to extend is to purchase a house from a fraternity that gets removed from campus. But let me make it clear-- IU Panhellenic has stated that there is no promise that a chapter that extends will be able to build a house. So while all the sororities on campus want the new chapter to have a house, it is unlikely for them to get one.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:28 PM

Random question: where would the bought-out groups go? They'd be houseless?

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUGreekGirl View Post
What the University is hoping to do is buy out all the sororities (Kappa, Pi Phi, Alpha PHi, Tri-Delt) and fraternities (Lambda Chi, Delta U, Delta Chi, Acacia, and FIJI) on third street and move them to the extension. They're saving the few lots of land for that.
Does "the extension" = the corner of Jordan and Fee Lane on this map?

http://www.indiana.edu/~gogreek/IFCbooklet.pdf (pps 25 & 27)
Old 12-17-2010, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
The extension is Jordan Ave. between Fee Lane and 17th Street. (from ADPi to Phi Kappa Sigma).

The Third Street houses are gorgeous and it would be a shame for those chapters to lose them. IUGreekGirl, are they also looking to relocate the other houses not on North Jordan and the Extension? (Theta, DG, Sigma Chi)
Old 12-17-2010, 03:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Sister Havana, the university (as I'm sure you of all people probably already know) has been trying to buy 3rd streets for quite some time. When I was there, I remember a guy in DU telling me that the university offered them 4 Million dollars for their house (with the option to buy land somewhere else) because the school of music wanted to expand (kids would wake up at 5am and stay up until 2am to find practice rooms because there werent enough). DU apparently preferred to keep their house and key location rather than moving and turned the offer down.

Theta's house is so old (Beta chapter), I wonder if it can become a historic landmark? Either way that wont stop the university from using it as academic offices, but at the least the beautiful mansion would be preserved.

IU's housing problem would be partially solved if they would allow more fraternities and sororities structures on campus. Unfortunately for greek houses (but fortunately for squirrels and the environment), IU LOVES trees, and will build a structure around one before they tear it down. There are spaces here and there, but IU wont cut down the trees to make the land usable.

It would be a shame to lose those houses on 3rd, but look at what moving has done for Beta. They were a top tier before they were kicked off....but now they are on their way to possibly being the top house!

Last edited by xp2k; 12-17-2010 at 03:25 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

No one who would sell their house would be bought out without having the ability to buy (or be automatically given) plots of land to build on.

The rumor on campus is that FIJI is trying to get a deal where the University buys the house, gives them a new plot of land, and builds the house. I don't know about that last part, but they wouldn't even consider selling if the University didn't relocate them.

xp2k is right- the University would rather be packed to the gills than cut down a tree. But sometime in the near future that's going to have to change.

If you look at the map that was posted you can see land for houses across from Sigma Delta Tau and Phi Kappa Sigma. That's the first area that will probably be cut down, especially because there was a really unfortunate alleged sexual assault in those woods earlier this year. http://idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?i...section=search

Other land would be next to Alpha Chi Omega, and across from Sigma Alpha Mu. There also might be room in the circle of Fishers Court by ADPi. There is also the option of buying out the Fellowship of Christian Students House which is on the corner of Fishers Court and Jordan Ave by Fee Lane, and the Evans Scholars House on North Jordan, noted on the map as an empty circle. Additionally the lot next to that is owned by Sigma Alpha Epsilon. It is unclear when they plan on rebuilding.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

The key to recruitment at IU is relax and have fun!!! Don't take it too seriously and remember that everything happens for a reason!

Be yourself and you will find where you are meant to be.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3Starbucks! View Post
The key to recruitment at IU is relax and have fun!!! Don't take it too seriously and remember that everything happens for a reason!

Be yourself and you will find where you are meant to be.
Can you fit a few more empty cliches in this post? If a woman is unprepared for a competitive recruitment, no matter how much she is "herself" she may not get a bid.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Banned

^^^ Particularly at the one major Greek system in the country that does not even attempt to make space to pledge all eligible women. They know from day 1 that they only have room for about half the PNMs. That's got nothing to do with where someone was meant to be.
________
Pattaya properties for sale

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
^^^ Particularly at the one major Greek system in the country that does not even attempt to make space to pledge all eligible women. They know from day 1 that they only have room for about half the PNMs. That's got nothing to do with where someone was meant to be.
Amen. Sometimes it seems like it is75% luck and 25% everything else...It's hard to tell PNM's to be themselves and everything will be the way it is suppose to when we know that even if you have a perfect rush and do everything right, it still may not work out. Hopefully we will change our system one day...

Old 12-21-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
Several IU students have confirmed on here that although recruitment is super tough, PNMs often make it tougher by not keeping an open mind and/or only focusing on certain chapters. Sorry if I don't cry for them.

As I've stated before, if IU changed their system to a regular total/quota one, most likely the groups would grow exponentially and most likely there would be a lot of people who are involved in it now who wouldn't want to be in it then. Not everyone considers a 300 person chapter where you don't even know all your sisters' names the ideal Greek experience. If IU wanted such a thing, student demand would have changed it a long time ago.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I honestly think the larger pledge class problem would take care of itself. There are about 1500 women going through recruitment at this time so that's ~78 people per pledge class. However, more women get dropped for grades or drop out of recruitment so I would say pledge classes would be 50-60 in the end. Many houses already take that number now. I just don't think it's right that wonderful women get turned away from the Greek system and don't even get the chance to see if they would fit in or not (and not because they didn't keep an open-mind)

I'm interested to see how the expansion process goes Spring semester. IU is trying to cling to the bed quota system because we don't want to change but I just don't think inviting another one or two chapters to campus is going to fix the numbers issue.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierxgirl View Post
I honestly think the larger pledge class problem would take care of itself. There are about 1500 women going through recruitment at this time so that's ~78 people per pledge class. However, more women get dropped for grades or drop out of recruitment so I would say pledge classes would be 50-60 in the end. Many houses already take that number now. I just don't think it's right that wonderful women get turned away from the Greek system and don't even get the chance to see if they would fit in or not (and not because they didn't keep an open-mind)
So what you're saying is women are getting dropped for grades anyway, or dropping out for whatever reason, before the lack of spots is even a factor. So you think you would end up with the same number of pledged women with a quota/total system that you have now? What would change?

I'm betting that if women knew that rush was being run with Q/T, the number of rushees would be a LOT more than 1500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierxgirl View Post
I'm interested to see how the expansion process goes Spring semester. IU is trying to cling to the bed quota system because we don't want to change but I just don't think inviting another one or two chapters to campus is going to fix the numbers issue.
A rushee on here straight up said that she doesn't think many girls will want to join an unhoused chapter. It will take more than switching to the total/quota system to change that mindset. It will take a campus culture change that everyone has to be on board with - or a school administration that forces it through with a "change or die" edict.

Last edited by 33girl; 01-02-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Q/T alone would not solve IU's problems with supply and demand. However, it would produce a less skewed result, by requiring the chapters with physically smaller houses (several of which are considered the most popular, for whatever reason) to pledge more than just 30 NMs based on the number of beds available. Assuming there are 4 such "coveted" houses on campus, hypothetically, if each one took 30 more NMs a year, 120 more women would have a chance at membership.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

33girl you're totally right. A chapter with 300 members is not a Greek experience that I, nor I think any of my fellow IU greeks, would want.

With this in mind, extension is really the only other option that we have to help more women find a place in the Greek system. We truly hope that if an organization chooses to extend on this campus it will succeed. We understand that this new chapter will need a lot of support and we plan on providing that.

One thing I don't think has been mentioned on the topic of extension-- there are several chapters at IU now that rechartered in the 80s without houses. Those chapters have flourished. I personally know a woman who was part of one of the unhoused chapters and she said that not having a house didn't negatively affect her Greek experience.

Hopefully this is the same experience that other women will have in a few years.