GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,144
0 members and 2,144 guests
No Members online

Old 05-17-2009, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

GWU Fall Recruitment 2009 - Advice for Sophomores?

Hey everyone, I have a couple of questions about recruitment at GW for sophomores. What's the deal? I've been reading all of the posts with tips for PNMs, but most of the advice seems focused toward incoming freshmen.

Friends of mine have told me that the 1st day conversations are often fairly surface and about the PNM's high school, hometown, etc. How are the conversations during recruitment different? What kinds of things should I be prepared to talk about?

I've heard that a couple of chapters only like to take freshmen. Am I at a disadvantage? If so, how much?

How important are my resume and GPA? I have a good GPA - above 3.5 - and am active in several organizations on campus. Will this provide me with any advantage, or no?

Also - what to wear during recruitment? How dressed up/down should I be each day? I've read through the Panhel viewbook from last year, and while it gives recommendations, they are pretty vague, and I don't want to be wearing the wrong thing!

And any other general advice you have for sophomore recruitment/recruitment at GW would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-17-2009, 09:06 PM

The "General Advice" thread has alot of info that is good for ANY PNM to read (whether you're a freshman or not). It talks a little bit about some of the things you may be asked.

The first day is more "getting to know you" stuff because the girls are just meeting you and want to know the basics about you (hometown, major, etc). Just go with the flow of what the sorority member asks you. The conversations evolve more over the course of recruitment because you're learning more about the chapters you visit.

To be honest, at every school, there are probably chapters who don't consider anyone who's not a freshman. That's the way it is.

GPA is always important. Good grades are an advantage because chapters DO cut girls with low GPAs frquently.

If you know anyone who went through recruitment, they are a good source of info on what to wear.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:07 PM

Also, this thread has alot of info about conversation:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...t=conversation

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocolonials View Post
Hey everyone, I have a couple of questions about recruitment at GW for sophomores. What's the deal? I've been reading all of the posts with tips for PNMs, but most of the advice seems focused toward incoming freshmen.

Friends of mine have told me that the 1st day conversations are often fairly surface and about the PNM's high school, hometown, etc. How are the conversations during recruitment different? What kinds of things should I be prepared to talk about?

I've heard that a couple of chapters only like to take freshmen. Am I at a disadvantage? If so, how much?

How important are my resume and GPA? I have a good GPA - above 3.5 - and am active in several organizations on campus. Will this provide me with any advantage, or no?

Also - what to wear during recruitment? How dressed up/down should I be each day? I've read through the Panhel viewbook from last year, and while it gives recommendations, they are pretty vague, and I don't want to be wearing the wrong thing!

And any other general advice you have for sophomore recruitment/recruitment at GW would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
I advise one of the chapters at GW, so I'm very familiar with it.

First round conversations are usually general "get to know you" stuff -- where you're from, hobbies, etc. since the parties are very short. Conversations escalate as you move through the rounds and get to know chapter members better.

Sophomores generally have a good chance at GW as long as they are willing to keep an open mind to all of the chapters. Some chapters take more sophomores than others, and it obviously works in your benefit if you have friends in the chapters.

Your GPA is solid, and being involved in activities is great. You have to strike a balance between being involved on campus and being TOO involved -- a lot of women at GW tend to be overcommitted and chapters do want women who will have time to contribute to the chapter. I like to see women who are really involved in a few activities (say, they're on Class Council and an officer in Green GW) rather than someone who's a member of a million different things. Your mileage may vary.

For dress suggestions -- you'll see a lot of variation in what people wear. For open round, you'd be fine in jeans and a nice top, or a casual summery dress. Sandals are fine. Philanthropy round is similar, maybe a little dressier. Invitational is business casual-type clothes, nice pants and a nice top or a dress. Pref round is cocktail-type dresses.

Just make sure you go in with an open mind -- cuts will probably be rougher for you than it would be for a freshman, but sophomores have a good chance of being placed if you stay positive about all the chapters.