GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 2,087
2 members and 2,085 guests
Sarak24034

Old 06-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Banned

Iran's nuclear weapons

Let's see, why hasn't the international community moved quicker on Iran?

A country with vast energy sources is building nuclear facilities for energy?

Evidence points to weapons grade uranium enrichment and the Iranians are hiding things constantly.

Finally the The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) issued a statement full of annoying diplomatic words saying they weren't happy with Iran.

They are in violation of a treaty and these nuts are trying to build up their arms.

The US will be recommending the Security Counsel issue sanctions. Will Russia, France, and China again support another regime? So far the French and the Chinese have cooperated but I don't know if they will on sanctions. Russia has not.

We shouldn't even impose sanctions. We shouldn't even invade or attack. Simply order surgical strikes at all suspected sites and at least set back their ability to develop the weapons. I say set back because if a country really wants, they will develop nuclear weapons. However in that time, hopefully there will be another change of government in this Mullah Terrorist ruled country where sentiments towards the weapons will change.

-Rudey
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-18-2004, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
I wouldn't worry about this.

Unless I lived in Tel Aviv. Or New York, Washington or LA. Or London. Or some random American city that might be nuked just to make a point.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Iran's society is constantly evolving. I think that the Mullahs and religious zealots days are numbered there.

I think that's what really differentiates Iran from other terrorist supporting states. I think we're all hoping that it just works itself out.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-18-2004, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
Iran's society is constantly evolving. I think that the Mullahs and religious zealots days are numbered there.

I think that's what really differentiates Iran from other terrorist supporting states. I think we're all hoping that it just works itself out.
Yeah, this is a game of "beat the clock" with really high stakes. I'm not sure if we can just kick back and wait for things to work themselves out.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiPsiRuss
Yeah, this is a game of "beat the clock" with really high stakes. I'm not sure if we can just kick back and wait for things to work themselves out.
Although, that's what is happening, agree?
Old 06-18-2004, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Although, that's what is happening, agree?
Not necessarily. We don't have the military option to engage another theater at this point in time, and no one else has the willingness to take on Iran. The UN is useless. I think that one reason why the US will remove as many troops from Iraq as soon as possible, is to exert credible pressure on Iran and/or North Korea.

If the US was truly trying to just let internal democratic reform manifest inside Iran, it would support internal and external opposition to a far greater degeree than what is currently happening.

Personally, I don't think that the Bush Administration has a cogent policy towards Iran.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:30 PM
Banned

We don't need to go in and force a regime change. There is no need for that. It will happen without us - different than in Iraq. But once you go nuclear, you never go back as the saying. We need to cut off that ability before the regime change.

I say surgical strikes. That's what Clinton had thought to use on North Korea.

I don't want to see this country go nuclear. I can't even imagine the possibilities.

Bush has so far failed on Iran and Sudan in my book.

-Rudey
Old 06-18-2004, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Sudan much worse than Iran. It's inexcusable that we have been so buddy buddy with them.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
There needs to be more "soft" pressure not "hard" pressure brought to bear on Iran. If a "hard" sollution is used (military) it may provoke exactly what you want to avoid... it may strngthen the power base and resolve of the hard-liners and radicals.

Of course for "soft" (politcal, economic) measures to succed or be effective the threat of "harder" measures must be in the distant background.

Their are forces in the country that want change and a more secular government and society, but there is a danger of alienating these forces if the carrot is taken away and the stick is used.... after all the international community has been trying to bring Iran into the fold for a long while, and signifcant changes have been made, it would be a shame to waste the efforts over the last twenty-five odd years.

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 06-18-2004, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RACooper
There needs to be more "soft" pressure not "hard" pressure brought to bear on Iran.
Right. Because soft pressure is so very effective with totalitarian regimes. Soft pressure sounds like advice from Neville Chamberlain.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiPsiRuss
Right. Because soft pressure is so very effective with totalitarian regimes. Soft pressure sounds like advice from Neville Chamberlain.
Iran is not a totalitarian regime. In fact, there is a large contingent of young, liberal and educated people in Iran that are pushing for a more secular government.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Iran is not a totalitarian regime. In fact, there is a large contingent of young, liberal and educated people in Iran that are pushing for a more secular government.
This is exactly the internal pressure for change that would be undermined by any response that handed an excuse to the hardliners to crack-down or reinforce their crumbling power base.

Old 06-19-2004, 02:04 AM
Banned

I love how people who know nothing about this region and this country talk as if sporadic student protests are ready to overthrow a very powerful government with huge European support. It is a short amount of time before the country develops nuclear weapons. It is NOT a short amount of time before a revolution takes hold.

-Rudey
Old 06-19-2004, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
I love how people who know nothing about this region and this country talk as if sporadic student protests are ready to overthrow a very powerful government with huge European support. It is a short amount of time before the country develops nuclear weapons. It is NOT a short amount of time before a revolution takes hold.

-Rudey
Oh then enlighten us oh great one from your font of wisdom...

Old 06-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by RACooper
Oh then enlighten us oh great one from your font of wisdom...
Dearest Anglo, there won't be any revolution any time soon. If you had read my previous post and had decent comprehension skills that would have been evident through the words "NOT a short amount of time".

-Rudey

Last edited by Rudey; 06-19-2004 at 01:45 PM.