GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,519
0 members and 1,519 guests
No Members online

Old 12-31-2003, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DawnDZ
Don't know if this counts... but Nanette Fabray a DZ alum is responsible for getting sign language and captions on television.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-31-2003, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
The one jumped into my mind was the movie "the Graduate" (1967), when in one scene, Dustin Hoffman ran inside our house in UC Berkeley. (they captured our letters and crest - we didn't have any objective about using our letters in movies back then, I guess)

And the famous Robert Frost's poem, somewhat mentioning our brotherhood meaning (I can't really tell you what).
Old 12-31-2003, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

[/hijack]

In Florence King's books, she always mentions that she was in a sorority, but deactivated. Does anyone know which sorority? [/B][/QUOTE]

While GC was down, I re-read some of my Florence King books and I was wondering the same thing. I think Florence King is hilarious!!
Old 01-01-2004, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by queequek

And the famous Robert Frost's poem, somewhat mentioning our brotherhood meaning (I can't really tell you what).
which poem? i heart robert frost. was frost a member in your org??
thats awesome, though...even if you can't tell us which poem it is. can i guess? lol

Last edited by DolphinChicaDDD; 01-01-2004 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Alpha Theta

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but in Mary Poppins the song "Let's Go Fly A Kite" was written for Walt Disney's daughters, who were Thetas
Old 01-03-2004, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Quote:
Originally posted by DolphinChicaDDD
which poem? i heart robert frost. was frost a member in your org??
thats awesome, though...even if you can't tell us which poem it is. can i guess? lol
LOL yes, Robert Frost was a member of Theta Delta Chi Fraternity, Omicron Deuteron Charge (Dartmouth) 1896.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Kappa Alpha Theta

Quote:
Originally posted by katphishchick
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but in Mary Poppins the song "Let's Go Fly A Kite" was written for Walt Disney's daughters, who were Thetas

Can anyone confirm that Let's Go Fly a Kite from Mary Poppins was REALLY written for Disney's daughter? I ask bec I did a little research on this. Richard Rodgers (of Rodgers and Hammerstein fame) wrote the tune in 1964 for the movie, when Walt's daughter Diane would have been 30 years old and adopted daughter Sharon would have been 27.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know whether "Let's Go Fly a Kite" was actually intended as a connection/reference to Theta, but it is a pretty widespread rumor and a cool coincidence if not.

Where did you find out that Rodgers wrote "Let's Go Fly a Kite"? I'm curious because I took a class last semester on Broadway Musicals, and grew up watching Rodgers and Hammerstein. It says on imdb.com that all the songs for Mary Poppins were written by Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman - did Rodgers just write the one song for the movie?

Sarah

Last edited by sarahgrace; 01-03-2004 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I did a google search on this a long time ago and found that. I don't have the link anymore I'm afraid.

You can find it mentioned here:
http://www.nzmusician.co.nz/06_back/...Charlotte.html

I've seen other sites mention the shermans. No matter really. I may well be wrong, but I do know it was written in 1964.

Last edited by DGMarie; 01-03-2004 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Kappa Alpha Theta

Quote:
Originally posted by DGMarie
Can anyone confirm that Let's Go Fly a Kite from Mary Poppins was REALLY written for Disney's daughter? I ask bec I did a little research on this. Richard Rodgers (of Rodgers and Hammerstein fame) wrote the tune in 1964 for the movie, when Walt's daughter Diane would have been 30 years old and adopted daughter Sharon would have been 27.
I tried to find somthing to better confirm this, and it might just be a rumor, but I did find a history about Mary Poppins on the Disney website (http://disney.go.com/disneyatoz/walt...rypoppins.html) where it states that:

"Actually, Walt first became interested in turning "Mary Poppins" into a film in the mid-1940s, when his daughters were reading P.L. Travers' books about the mystical nanny. "

So, if his daughters introduced him to the book, then it kind of makes sense that it was more than a conincidence. I'd be interested to see something more concrete, but all I can find is stuff on Theta chapter websites.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Very interesting. Although his daughters would have been 10 and 7.

Note: not at all trying to stir up anything with these posts, promise! I just find it interesting.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DGMarie
Very interesting. Although his daughters would have been 10 and 7.

Note: not at all trying to stir up anything with these posts, promise! I just find it interesting.
True...but like you said before, by the time the movie was made they were 27 and 30...so I was just thinking that if it was a story him and his daughters shared together when they were little, then maybe he wanted to include something in there just for them...and since they were theta's, then the song seems like a nice tribute...I have actually never read the original book, so for all I know the song could just be mimicking something directly from the book, in which case it may just be a fun coincidence...anybody read the actual book?

and don't worry, I know you're not trying to stir things up, neither am I...this is an interesting topic (and keeping me somewhat occupied being stuck in the house on a Friday night)
Old 01-03-2004, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PKTKKG
There are many movies/tv shows that mention Kappa Kappa Gamma. Here are some I can think of right away:

Legally Blonde 2

Hello Again (Shelly Long sings "I'm so happy that I am a Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma")

Newhart (Julia Duffy tells one of the Daryls that she is a Kappa Kappa Gamma)

Sex and the City (Meanwhile...Charlotte was having lunch with the Kappa Kappa Gammas)

The Young and the Restless (they made two of the characters Kappas - one was a new girl on the show and the regular cast member saw her gold bar with K K G on it and said "oh and you're a Kappa"). This was right after I finished school in 1990.

Those are the only ones I can think of right off hand, but there may be more shows where Kappa is mentioned specifically.
Ok, I knew there were a couple more and I thought of them this morning:

Kappa and Pi Phi are mentioned in the movie Splendor in the Grass starring Natalie Wood and Warren Beatty. Natalie Wood's character has two friends, and at one point in the movie her mother tells her that one friend in college is a Pi Phi and the other is a Kappa and asks which one is better.

There is also a movie with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward called Mr. and Mrs. Bridge (1990 I think). In the movie, one of the daughters comes home from college to tell the mom that she is engaged, and the daughter is wearing a Kappa Key.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:13 PM
cutiepatootie

Quote:
Originally posted by OUlioness01
the movie and play Steel Magnolias was written about a Phi Mu...thus showing why pink and pink were the colors for "Shelby's" wedding
I did not know that! I have the video and dvd of steel magnolias.....i truly LOOOOOVE that movie. Maybe that is why i almost was a Phi Mu in college ( bfore they closed )

that explains all the Pink references
Old 01-03-2004, 12:15 PM
cutiepatootie

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
Don't you mean "bashful" and "blush"? I love that movie
no no no "it is blush and bash two shades of pink i chosen ....pink silk bunting laid out for my wedding ....the chapel has been hosed down with peptol bismal"