GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,401
0 members and 1,401 guests
No Members online

Old 09-01-2000, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I must say that there were very few women with technical majors in my chapter. We had a few bio majors and they had a very hard time. The time commitment was just too great for them to go to school, work (which we all did), and get wonderful grades in their major. Some superwomen can do that, but most people cannot.

I have a secret to confess. I pledged young. Very young. Very very young. I was part of a program that allowed students to skip the last 3-5 years of school (depending on the student) and go to college. The program director forbade us for joining sororities and fraternities. I'm sure you can understand why. Other than the sometimes improper environment in greek houses (we were good girls, though. honest!), ones grades were likely to suffer. And I agree with him. If I had to advise an Early Entrance Program student today, students for whom academics are the primary focus, I would suggest that they stay away from social sororities and frats on my old campus and maybe join a professional one. The few professional ones I knew about at my old school had very few social activities (if any) and were primarily networking groups and ways to improve your application to grad school. Some of the young students went that route and it didn't pose any threat to their grades. But as for the average sorority and fraternity member at my school, I am sorry to say that grades more often than not slipped.

That being said, I think that is one of the big reasons technical majors at my school don't join social greek organizations.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )