GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,350
1 members and 1,349 guests
John

Old 09-16-2002, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Signing bid cards

Hey - I have a question! This year our panhellenic made girls sign bid cards in front of the panhellenic pres and vp recruitment only! It took hours! Has anyone ever heard of this? In the past the girls just signed bid cards one at a time with the px's! (NOT just two members of panhell). How do other campuses do this?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-16-2002, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
This year at the UofArizona (where 778 women went thru recruitment), bids were signed in a large lecture hall with the doors closed. About 1/3 of the woman went in at a time and signed bids. The only others in the room were the Panhellenic Pres and VP and the greek life advisor and GL assistant.

It took about an hour to process the majority of PNMs ... I can't imagine how long it would have taken if the PNMs had gone in one-at-time.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
when I was a rho chi, they made the rho chi groups come in together with their PX's, the greek life advisor, and the panhell. rush chairs and president. It took awhile, but I really liked the way it was done. Plus, the girls could go and talk to their rho chi privately if need be.
Old 09-16-2002, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jess_pom
When we did it on Saturday, the girls sat in the chapel and thought about it and when they were ready to sign, the met with the adviser or the former greek life GA and they explained that they would be bound to which ever sorority they matched with. The RCs were around for help, but we could not be there when they filled out their forms.

Since we only had 33 girls, it didn't take that long. Plus, the prefs were staggered, some girls went to 1, 2 or all 3 prefs....
Old 09-16-2002, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

AXO_MOM_3,
Yes, I've seen this happen and it's really absurd. It's a stressfull enough time for these women, they don't need to be kept waiting around for 3 or 4 hours because their last name starts with an S.
I think the intention is to let the pnm decide on her choices without pressure of other women who are rushing, or a favorite PX, hovering over them, but if a campus has more than 40 women going through I think it's a logistical nightmare.
violets
Old 09-16-2002, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Dont get me started on this! Another example of DAISM!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-16-2002, 04:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
We had a campus where the Student Life people worked with the NPC to do the signing. They just want to make women aware that if they sign that card, they are bound, so make sure they know what they're doing!!
Old 09-16-2002, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

AXO_MOM, I was lucky enough to be a "C" so I got to leave at 11... I heard that the very last girl left the Magnolia Room at UNCG at 1:15.

I think it put undue stress on the girls that were making hard decisions, and REALLY frustrated the girls who were certain of their top choice. AND THEN we had to be back there at 8:45, some girls as early as 8:00, the next morning! There should have been a better way...
Old 09-17-2002, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes - it took entirely too long! Bid matching did not start until almost 2:00 am! Isn't there a green book rule somewhere about girls signing cards immediately after the last party? It has never been done this way before, and I want to make sure our poor pnm's are not tortured by having to wait so long again! Something to fix for next year... I guess the up-side is that we got quota plus two! Yippee!
Old 09-17-2002, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to canadajen
Up here at UBC in Canada, that is how they did it when I went through in 1997. There are 7 NPCs here, averaging about 22-25 members (total = 50, largest is about 35-37 right now, with formal recruitment beginning Weds eve). No official word on #s signed up, though I've heard its going AWESOME! Average about 85-100 sign bids I would guess.

Jen
Old 09-17-2002, 09:35 AM

After their last pref party, PNMs signed their pref cards while sitting in a large room where the Panhel president, VP recruitment, and some rho chis were present. PNMs could talk privately to their PXs if they were having trouble deciding how to rank sororities or considering suiciding.

On bid day, each PNM would meet individually with her PX and sign a card indicating whether she was accepting, deferring, or declining the bid. If she deferred, she could later (within 72 hrs) accept or decline by signing in front of any PX or deaffiliated Panhel officer.

Everyone was reminded when getting their pref invites, that they could match to any sorority they listed on their pref cards, and if they matched they would be bound for a year.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Rho chi help? YEah not at my campus-- they were never there when it came to choosing, and when I was upset about being dropped I called my rho chi and she was like whatever.
Anyway the way it went when I rushed was you could come to the university commons any time that day and sign your card. You met alone with the president of Panhell. There was no one else around.