GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,330
2 members and 1,328 guests
asamathattso539, bapitytts7552

Old 11-14-2001, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Transfer woes!

Ok, I know that I should really post this in the Academics section, but I decided to put it here. I am presently an Inernational Business Major and I was looking to transfer. My school, although wonderful with many great programs, is located in the middle of nowhere. The other major university in the state is located in Seattle, a very large city, with tons of international business exposure on a daily basis. I figured, hey, why not do myself a favor and transfer to the school that is in the big city, and start on internships and networking now. Good idea, right? WRONG!
I called up the university, and after being shuttled from voicemail to voicemail, finally got a person. She then told me that I should go to a Community College, get my AA, then transfer that way.( I would only have to have a 2.75 that way) I'm on my second year of College, and maybe I don't have the greatest GPA, but she says that I would have to have a 3.8 or 3.9 to transfer from another 4 year university. WOW!! I really wasn't planning on going backwards at all, so this is a Huge cog in all my plans...

Ok, I'm done ranting for now.. but any advice is helpful... What do I do? Leave College at semester and enroll in Community college? Or just stick it out here and get my degree??
Old 11-14-2001, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I would stick it out, but that's me. Have you joined any business orgs? It's a small world and you can start your networking right where you are. Do they have a YMBC? (Young Mens' Business Club) Anything similar would work to your advantage.
Old 11-14-2001, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GmuTeke
if it were me, i would send in an application for transfer no matter what the admissions person says. it'll only cost you a little bit of time and maybe 25 bucks for an application fee. there's nothing written that says that when you're accepted to a school you must attend there in the fall. give it a shot.

i transfered to GMU because i hated being in a small town in North Carolina, there wasn't anything to do, and there was zero work potential. if you're not happy, then look somewhere else, hopefully it'll workout there.
Old 11-14-2001, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with justamom (prolly because she's so darn smart). There's no guarantee that being in Seattle will automatically hook you up with anything, and it's a huge step back for you. You can network anywhere (even online!) and never know where you might meet someone who can help you later. You could even let us know what you want to do once you graduate, because maybe someone here knows someone! I just can't see a really good, solid reason to go from where you are to pursuing an AA at a community college. That's pretty weird anyway, that they would take someone with a 2.75 from a community college, but someone from a University needs 3.8 -- what's the reasoning there?? So yeah, I'd say that you should stay were you are.
Old 11-14-2001, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I would send the application at least just for kicks! Who knows?

I don't see the reasoning either- about taking someone from a CC with a 2.75 and they need something way higher from a regular university....

Are there any other schools that you are interested in?
Old 11-14-2001, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Many times you become a small frog in a very large pond! You are # kazillion at a large school! Thank god I went to 2 small schools! Of course the last small school in SE Kansas had 128 bars at the time! I will not say under penelaty of (?) say that I was in everyone of them!

Many times recruiters look for smaller school people as they have a closer contact with the Instructors and learn a heck of a lot more rather than being in an ampatheater class room where NO ONE knows each other let alone the Proffesor!

There are more Lawyers in the State of Kansas from Washburn U. Home of the IKKYBODS than anyother school in the state!

Mo. U was and maybe still known for its Journalism School all over the country!

Well so much for that advice!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-14-2001, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, thanks for all the advice so far.. I've been thinking, and I still have to get some answers about a couple things, but it looks like I am going to finish up this semester, and then go back home to a Community college for spring. I have almost enough credits right now to get an AA anyway, so then I can get it, and transfter to the new University next fall, like I wanted in the first place. This gives me a chance to get the credits, and up my GPA with easy CC classes.... a very good thing.

At least, in my perfect world this will all work out right. I actually have more than academic reasons for wanting to tranfsfer to the new University...It is closer to home and many people in my life.. But that's another story...