GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,370
1 members and 2,369 guests
LaneSig

Old 10-22-2001, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Thumbs down Not going to graduate in 4 years...

So, This morning i sent a drop form online to drop my statistics class. I just can't handle it right now. Now, I had planned on taking it in the UW-Winterim (over x-mas break) but, to my surprise, they aren't offering it this year like they do every year. But seriously, the guy teaching this course does not know what's going on. He's more concerned about informing us of definition of words, than he is about showing us how to do problems, and I hate that!

So now, depending on how many credits I take next semester and the semester after, I might be able to still graduate in 4 years. But, I might just say bah, take some summer classes and not stress myself out so much and take an extra semester.
Any advice that anyone can give me? Is it truly bad to take an extra semester for undergraduate? I've heard that a lot of ppl take an extra semester or sometimes an extra year to finish their undergrad. It's just really stressing me out. I just want to get the hell out of school and start my career. But, everytime I feel like it's going to flow, something happens to cramp my style. *Sigh* School really really sucks..I should have stayed a Creative Writing major

d
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-22-2001, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't stress out! Tons of people graduate in 5 years or more. It's not a big deal (unless it's a financial thing) You should enjoy your time in school! :0)
Old 10-22-2001, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xok85xo
It's taking me 4 1/2 years to graduate, and I'm kind of glad I took my time..This past summer I was able to retake some classes to replace some bad grades..
actually, at my school it actually seems pretty rare that people still graduate in 4 years..generally, 4 1/2 if they're lucky, but 5 is pretty much the norm..so seriously, don't stress..take your time What are you in a rush to get out of school for- the real world to begin??..I graduate in 2 months, and am absolutely terrified..i've even considered staying another semester..hehe..
Old 10-22-2001, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
It took me 5 years to graduate and I loved it. A lot less stress if you stretch it out.
Old 10-22-2001, 11:22 AM

Right now, I'm majoring in Marketing with a minor in Sociology. I might pick up a double major next Spring in Finance. If that happens, I will be on the 5year plan. No big deal. Many people I know do not graduate on time. My boyfriend, double majoring in Forensics and Chemistry, is on the 5 1/2 year plan. So, it's ok. Plus, do you really want to get into the real world that soon anyways???
Old 10-22-2001, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I graduated in 3 and 1/2 years, and now I wonder what the heck I was in such a rush about. Take your time and enjoy yourself! You will never have this kind of an opportunity again...to learn just for the sake of learning.
Old 10-22-2001, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with what everyone else has said - What's the rush? I took time off and changed my major almost four times so in the end it took me five years plus some summer school to graduate. THEN, I spent the next year bumming around Europe. Then went back to school to do a program at a Technical College. Didn't end up getting my first 'real' job til I was 24. Believe me - the working world sucks and I was still plenty young once I got here. Take your time, have some fun and don't worry about it at all.
Old 10-22-2001, 12:02 PM
Banned

Talking

Don't hurry, take your time! Who wants to rush growing up?
Old 10-22-2001, 12:17 PM

Well, speaking as a parent of a graduate who changed schools and majors, went out of state and still graduated magna cum laude in four years, my checkbook appreciated it very much. She never had less than 19 hours per quarter after the transfer and that was pretty brutal.

Now we have a son who is a HS senior and a National Merit Semi Finalist who is being courted by all the big time colleges. They're pretty expensive, but he will double major and take five years. After being off work for a while due to a corporate merger and taking a huge paycut when finally going back to work, I hope we can afford the school he wants to attend (Northwestern).

Part of the decision must be financial. Are you paying for this or your parents. If the latter, can they afford it?

I agree with the "why rush into the real world sentiment," but keep in mind that you may not be the only one impacted.

Good luck.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 10-22-2001, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Only took me 4 1/2 years. Dual major. Best 4 1/2 years of my life.
Old 10-22-2001, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Took me 4 1/2 years and I wish it had been 5. Seriously, no one in the "real world" cares how long it took, just that you did it. Actually of all my friends, I can only think of 2 that did it in 4. The rest of us took 4 1/2.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my friends is stressing because she has to take 18 credits this semester, and 19 her last semester. I think that I finally convinced her to slow it down a little, walk in May, and still take summer school. I garuntee you that no one in the "real world" cares how long you took to get that degree.. they just care that you got it. The only reason most people get a degree anymore (I'm not saying all professions..) is to show that they can commit.. and 4+ years is a commitment. Companies like to see that you took teh time to work hard. I'm sure that there are plenty of people out there with the skills, but they may have been job hopping for the last 4 years to get those skills. Who do you think the company will pick?
Old 10-22-2001, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard Send a message via Skype™ to SigmaChiCard
I want to get a degree in everything so that I never have to get out into the real world. I like the school phase of my life too much, I can't imagine not taking classes at some point in my life...God, that will be wierd.

Visit: BackSeat SandBar & MySpace
Old 10-22-2001, 04:35 PM

Hey SigCard,

Interesting idea, but then you and your parents will probably both be "in hoc." Meaning Hoc the car, the house, the furniture, etc.

By the way, I agree that employers don't care how long it takes to graduate. Actually, I dropped out of school with 14 quarter hours left to take a job. I finished 25 years after I started through correspondence courses.

I didn't need to, it was just kind of a "sentence" in my life that didn't have a period at the end.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 10-22-2001, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

hey bud, don't stress over it. alothough it may suck to have a 5th year, or to load up on units until you are finished with school, just think of something positive. besides, i'm at a majorly impacted school where 5-6, even 7 for some people, is the norm.