GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,245
2 members and 1,243 guests
Cookiez17

Old 12-01-1999, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to deanna_zet
Cool Help dispel Greek Myths

My sorority sister and I are working on a book about dispelling the myths of greek life. I could use anecdotes from other greeks proving a pre-conceived notion of greek-life wrong.
Old 12-02-1999, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

That's a really good idea! Here's something that you might want to use. I'm a sister of Alpha Sigma, a local sorority, in upstate NY. We have a sister that pledged maintained a 4.0, and she had a couple of kids! That's academics, sorority, and family responsibilities. Kind of deletes the theory that Greeks are irresponsible, stupid partiers.
And another myth is that you have to drink to pledge, our campus policy is that pledges aren't allowed to drink alcohol during pledging.
I think your book is a wonderful idea because it's about time people knew what being Greek really means.
GOOD LUCK!!!
Fesser
Old 01-07-2000, 06:16 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Myths are things that are made up and not true. Zeus is not a real god, he's mythological. I have written a book that tells the truth about GLO's from a Christian point of view. I have a chapter that issues a challenge to all Greeks. Let me see all of your literature(rituals, history, by-laws, etc) and I will prove that what you hide is what you hide for the wrong reasons. Greek brotherhood and sisterhood is a myth in and of itself. It is not true brotherhood and sisterhood according to The Word of God. Luke 8:21
All the myths you are searching for are not myths, they will be based on facts.

------------------
Old 01-18-2000, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Dear Fesser,
Thanks! I can use that!

Dear Fred,
I think you might have misunderstood the focus of our book.

We are looking for true stories (we can change names) that help dispel any of the following myths:

All Greeks are dumb.
All Greeks are party animals.
You have to have money to be Greek.
All Greeks are Wasps.

These are some of the Myths we will be discussing. We are looking online because we attended a Canadian university and we want to add American perspective.

You contradict yourself quite quickly.
If Zeus was not real, as you state in your first sentence, but all Myths are based on facts, as you say in your last sentence, which do we believe?

And just to really get the argument going, Luke 8:21 words being The Words of God, has just as much basis in "fact" as does the "myth" of Zeus, only according to your argument, of course.

Take care,
Deanna
Old 01-21-2000, 08:51 AM
Banned

Smile

Deanna,
Do you believe that the Bible is the infallible Word of God? If you were to die today, where would you spend eternity?
Old 01-21-2000, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Fred, have you ever heard the expression:
Heaven doesn't want you and hell is afraid you'll take over?" So, where are you going?
Old 01-21-2000, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Dear Fred,

I am extremely comfortable in my belief that men wrote down all the words in bible, they translated them, without (in my opinion) any divine assistance, from the original Hebrew and Aramaic (ok I admit I'm not sure how to spell that). There have been numerous instances where mistakes have been found, mistakes that have led to horrible tragedies. One of these misintrepretations included. "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." it was supposed to read "Thou shall not suffer to live with a bitch." It was allowing divorce NOT homicide. Didn't anyone see a problem with this interfering with "Thou shalt not Kill"?

The Bible is so open to interpretation that NO I do not believe it is the infallible word of God. I think God would have been alot clearer and not as open to misinterpretation.

My God is extremely striaghtforward. He gave me a list of ten rules to follow, The Ten Commandments. Then he made a very clear threat. He said break any of these and I will curse you down seven generations.

Have you checked these rules lately Fred?

Take Care,
Deanna
Old 03-21-2000, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Ok, you wanted some anecdotes to prove that greek stereotypes are false. you mentioned in a post that one stereotype is that all greeks are rich. ok, there are a few guys in my house who work at their financial aid jobs over 20 hours a week just to help their parents pay tuition. And on top of all that, these kids still find time to study and pull GPAs better than those who dont have a work study job.
You also mentioned in your post that all greeks are supposedly WASPs. Well, in my house, my pledge class of 22 had 5 jewish people and one Jehovah's Witness. This was adding to the 7 or 8 actives that are also Jewish. That number adds up to about 25% of our house.
About Greeks being stupid, a few of my pledge brothers are ranked 2, 4, and 7 in our engineering school, which is a huge feast to accomplish. The one who is ranked #2 also pulled a 4.0 during pledging.

Hope that helps
Old 03-29-2000, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Deanna, hile you may be talking about Greeks of mythology, lets get to the real greeks!! They are young men and women who have left the nest of home and spread their wings! When they get to college, they must find what they are most comfortable with. They can stay non commited or join a Greek Society. To find the right one they must find who they are most comfortable with. I have a Brother LXA whose son became a PSE and whose house is right across the street from ours, yet he is still involved with LXA as that is where His heart is. It is not a matter if you go one house or another, but if you go GREEK! You learn nore than just books! When I graduated college and worked for RH Macys, I went through stiff training to learn the real world! But, I had the bsck ground of running a new local and becoming a member of LXA to help me through. I strongly believe that the Greeks get a bad name for a few and do not get the recognititio that the many do!!!!!
Old 03-29-2000, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Rember fellow Greeks if it were not for the Greeks on all of the campus' there would be little if any homecomings or people serving on commities helping to aid the campus of your choice. If you cannot go Greek then you are missing 1/2 of your college life for the future!