GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,821
3 members and 1,818 guests
JayhawkAOII, KatieKate1244

Old 09-26-2003, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mu_agd
for prom weekend we all rent houses on the cape and they threatened to call the cops and tell them to patrol the areas that we were in because there would be lots of underage drinking and they wanted us to get caught.
Of course, everyone in town has an opinion about why the hazing occurred. One of the trains of thought relates to this. In our district, the administrators tend not to involve the police when they are aware of illegal activity. The thought is that the kids are young, they make mistakes and don't deserve the long term effects of a criminal record. The biproduct of this approach is that the students think that they are above the law.

The solution being discussed is to create a teen court, with teens being judged by their peers. Apparently there are three communities in the northern suburbs of Chicago who've gone this route. The teen crimes would not get lost in the shuffle of the Cook County court system, which includes Chicago. And while consequences would be real, they might not have the same permanent effect on their lives. It's been said that the battery charges related to the GBN incident would not qualify for such a court because of the injuries that were inflicted. But the thinking is that if kids are punished for less serious actions, things might not escalate to the extent they did on May 4 because the community would have established a clearer definition of right and wrong.

Another concept being discussed is a focus on community civility. There are a lot of residents with high pressure jobs who are accustomed to getting their way. People aren't very nice. So the task force wants to teach the adults how to behave so that we demonstrate respect to our offspring.

Our high school played GBN last Friday--we were the home team. There seems to be a fair amount of animosity against GBN at GBS. Security was incredible. GBS students weren't allowed near the visitors' bleachers and the GBN kids weren't allowed on our side. There were several police cars at the game. Some of the GBS boys were wearing homemade tshirts saying things like "something smells fishy around here". It was very sad. It reminded me of some of my son's hockey games when we played in some of the "rougher" suburbs. And we lost (no surprise there).
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-26-2003, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by momoftwo
That's exactly what I thought when the sheet came home. From what I hear, at least in past years, many of the kids involved in the student to student group (which is supposed to be kids who pledge not to drink or take drugs--and is the group compiling the list) were some of the biggest partiers in the school. I guess it was a way to fool mom and dad!
We had that stuff at my HS, and it was a total crock. The parents of the biggest partiers organized this "Project Graduation" thing to prevent people from going out and drinking and driving after graduation. It was supposed to be this high-handed moral statement, but we all knew it was a joke.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

As a former high school teacher and now junior high teacher, I am amazed at how much meaner kids continue to get. I feel there is no excuse for such craziness and coldheartedness in the name of so called "fun".

No one ever hazed at my high school. I was involved in powderpuff, but it was a game, just that. The guys dressed up as the cheerleaders. It was fun. No one was beaten or humiliated. I have done some stupid things in the name of fitting in when younger, but always tried never to hurt anyone.

I would love to hear an update on whether Marnie or any of the other girls got into a house in college. I believe in second chances in life, but I really hope they have to experience some of the hurt ( not physical) they have caused by being such brats. I would hope no self respecting house would take them.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
She did try to rush -- she came through our house first rounds and we cut her immediately. I'm not sure if she ended up in a house, but my guess would be no. I'll let you guys know if I hear any updates.
Do you know if any of the other houses cut her yet? How did she end up rushing in the first place?

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 09-30-2003, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CatStarESP4
Do you know if any of the other houses cut her yet? How did she end up rushing in the first place? [/IMG]
She probably filled out a form from Panhellenic, paid some money, and showed up. There's no law that says you can't rush because you did something naughty.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Mom Who Bought Beer got Probation

The thing about this article that gets me is that she is ordered to do 14 hours of community service and she hasn't done it yet (all the kids have). Being a mom in this district, I'm sure I've put in lots more than 14 hours for the community since May!

Mom gets probation for buying GBN teens beer
BY IRV LEAVITT
STAFF WRITER

Cook County Circuit Court Judge Timothy Chambers meted out sentences to a few more of the defendants in the May 4 Northbrook hazing incident last week, including one of the adults charged with helping supply the beer.

Christine Neal, 49, one of two women accused of providing the alcohol that fueled the now-notorious Cook County Forest Preserve melee, received no jail time. None of the other 12 convicted so far have, either. Millions around the world saw videotaped clips of Glenbrook North High school seniors throwing excrement and other substances at younger students in Chipilly Woods, and then beating some of them.

Neal, of Northbrook, pleaded guilty Friday to providing liquor to minors, and Chambers sentenced her to one year of probation and 14 days community service. She left the courtroom without comment.

Her son Dominic Vargas, 18, also of Northbrook, who was accused of carrying the beer to the Chipilly Woods scene, and of battery in relation to attacks on the juniors, didn't plead guilty. Like several defendants before him, he was allowed to plead not guilty while stipulating to the facts of the cases as presented by prosecutors, which will likely allow him to expunge the conviction from his record. He was sentenced to one year of court supervision, and 50 hours of community service.

Also Friday, Jamie Kozin, 18, stipulated to the facts of her battery charges, and received nine months court supervision and 60 hours community service. Valerie Udell, 18, was sentenced to one year supervision and 50 hours o community service.

Sept. 24, Tanya Dionissopoulos, 17, stipulated to her battery charges, and was sentenced to one year of court supervision, 50 hours of community service, and drug and alcohol evaluation.

All but Neal maintained that they had already performed all of their community service, which consists of volunteering at nursing homes, hospitals and other facilities.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

More Consequences

It seems like maybe the civil penalties will have more impact that the criminal charges...

Parents to pay teens injured during hazing

The parents of "several" Glenbrook North High School graduates involved in the May 4 "powder puff" incident have agreed to pay damages to the families of three now-senior students physically injured in the melee, an attorney for the students said.

Attorney Rollin Soskin said the parents decided to pay $2,500 to each of his three clients. Under the Illinois Parental Responsibility Act, parents can be held liable for a maximum of $2,500 when their children damage property or injure someone.

Soskin said Tuesday he plans to go to court to seek that $7,500 amount from parents of about 20 Glenbrook North graduates if the adults don't agree to the settlement.

Terms call for the settling parents and their children "to cooperate with us by providing us prompt and truthful information" about the hazing, Soskin said, and for his clients to forego further legal action against the settling parents' students.

Soskin maintains those offered the settlement contributed to his clients' injury by letting their children help plan the event or participate in the hazing. The settlement has not been offered to the dozen or so teens Soskin claimed physically harmed his clients during the melee.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Task Force Draft Report

The village manager of Northbrook and the superintendant of the Glenbrook schools have posted the hazing task force's draft report. Here's the link:

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/Distr...port102203.pdf

It's a 63 page document that offers options, but doesn't make any conclusions. I would expect this work to generate further dialogue in the community. There were some strong words for the parents who tried to help their offspring avoid consequences for their actions (the Holz family?).

For those interested in how communities might respond to problems related to hazing, the report is probably worthwhile reading.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

And for those of you who were curious...

Marnie Holz actually got a bid to a house at the UW. I don't know what that house was thinking, although they are comprised of ladies from the East Coast who may not have heard about it, but still...I'd be scared if I was a PNM from the area going through and she rushed me.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

As Kath said, Marnie Holz did receive a bid. I know she was cut early by every sorority I talked to, but I didn't talk to girls in every one, and this was one of those that I didn't. There are a number of factors at play that might have led to them giving her a bid, one being, as Kath said, that they didn't know. That's all I'm going to say on the subject, since any more could give away the identity of the sorority.

And no, I'm not going to tell you which one it is. Not even in a PM.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, I'd say it's more who was in the house before her.

Out of my graduating class, I think like 20 of us went there.....a lot of people's older brothers and sisters are at Madison. This could work for or against her....in this case she found the house with ppl's older sisters who are family friends and willing to baby her. Kind of sad, although her name is pretty much recognizable wherever she goes so I'd consider that punishment too.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I think Mr. and Mrs. Holz did their daughter, and the community, a huge disservice by trying to help Marnie avoid the consequences for her hazing participation. At the same time, she was not one of the participants who received criminal charges. She was in the wrong place at the wrong time and her name is known to the world because of her parents' bad judgement.

While I can certainly understand groups of women not wanting an overindulged baby as part of their sisterhood, I also think that Marnie deserves to be able to put her and her parents' mistakes behind her and get on with the rest of her life. I guess the only thing I'd worry about is whether the house that gave her a bid thought what happened in Northbrook was no big deal; that sure isn't anyplace I'd want my daughter to be!

I hope Marnie's learned some humility in the process, she sure didn't find any public support for her legal battle. She missed prom, she missed graduation; those consequences fit the crime, and for an 18-year-old were pretty severe. Everything happens for a reason, maybe Marnie's going to learn something from her new sisters that her parents were incapable of teaching her at home.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Guilty Verdict

The first hazing case to go to trial resulted in a guilty verdict. The mom who hosted the party goes on trial Thursday.

Teen guilty in Glenbrook hazing
Former senior sentenced to year of court supervision in battery case

By Courtney Flynn
Tribune staff reporter
Published November 4, 2003

Despite testimony from a former Glenbrook North High School senior who maintained her innocence in a violent hazing, a judge found her guilty Monday of misdemeanor battery.

After a bench trial that lasted about 15 minutes in the Skokie courthouse, Cook County Circuit Judge Timothy Chambers sentenced Gina Mengarelli, 18, of the 2600 block of Cherry Lane in Northbrook to a year of court supervision.

"As foolish as the activities of the defendant may have been, I do not think they were criminal," said Mengarelli's attorney, Steven Decker, who plans to appeal.

Mengarelli's case was the first stemming from the widely publicized hazing to go to trial.

Fourteen other teens have been found guilty of misdemeanor battery or alcohol charges related to the hazing, which occurred May 4 in Chipilly Woods, near Northbrook. One parent has pleaded guilty to providing alcohol to minors.

A second parent is expected to appear in court Thursday on charges she provided a place for minors to drink. Another former student awaits trial in December.

During her trial Monday, Mengarelli admitted she threw ketchup, mustard and coffee grounds at junior girls during the fracas.

Mengarelli, who now attends an out-of-state college, repeatedly denied striking one junior in the back with her knee and pulling another girl's hair and pushing her to the ground, as prosecutors alleged.

Asked by her attorney if she intended to harm any of the juniors, Mengarelli responded: "Absolutely not."

Mengarelli told the judge she believed the juniors consented to her actions because they freely participated in the event.

Copyright © 2003, Chicago Tribune
Old 11-14-2003, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Mom is Guilty!

Does Mrs. Spiwak get it yet? Her lawyer, Gal Pissetzky, said: "She never bought any beer. She never provided the beer. She never said, `Drink the beer.'" Oh, but providing your deck for the party is okay?

Here's the story...

Mother found guilty in hazing
Woman allowed teens to drink before melee

By Lisa Black
Tribune staff reporter
Published November 14, 2003

A woman was found guilty Thursday of allowing Glenbrook North High School students to drink beer in her Northbrook home in the hours before the teenagers participated in a violent hazing in a forest preserve.

Marcy Spiwak, 50, was impassive as Judge Timothy Chambers sentenced her to one year of court supervision and 40 hours of community service.

The consequences for Spiwak should send a strong message to other parents, said Cook County Assistant State's Atty. Steve Goebel.

"Parents do need to realize they can't simply provide alcohol to minors," Goebel said at the Skokie courthouse after Spiwak was sentenced. "These girls drank at the house and went out and got battered."

Spiwak was found guilty of permitting a violation of the Illinois Liquor Control Act, a misdemeanor.

During the hazing May 4, senior girls were videotaped kicking, punching and throwing objects at junior girls in a muddy field at Chipilly Woods in Northbrook.

Before the melee, 20 to 30 of the students drank beer from a keg on Spiwak's back deck in the 3700 block of Whirlaway Drive, Goebel said. The juniors included Spiwak's daughter, her friends and some of their boyfriends, Goebel said. Spiwak's daughter was not charged.

After the hazing, five juniors were treated at a hospital. One girl needed 10 stitches to her head. Others suffered bruises and concussions. A few of those who were hurt had been drinking at Spiwak's house before the hazing, officials said.

In September, another parent, Christine Neal, 49, of Northbrook, pleaded guilty to providing the alcohol, which included two kegs of beer that were delivered to the forest preserve. Neal was sentenced to one year of probation and 14 days of community service.

On Thursday, Spiwak said that she would like to talk. But she angrily added, "I've read too many lies about myself," and declined to comment further.

Her lawyer, Gal Pissetzky, said: "She never bought any beer. She never provided the beer. She never said, `Drink the beer.'"

Besides the parents, 15 of 16 teenagers charged with battery or alcohol-related offenses related to the hazing have been found guilty.

Only one former Glenbrook North senior, Eliran Maman, awaits a court date Dec. 1. Maman, 18, of Glenview, is charged with battery.

Northfield Township High School District 225 expelled 33 seniors and disciplined 20 juniors after the hazing.

Before she was arrested, Spiwak said in an interview that her older daughter participated in the annual hazing six years ago without any violence.

"They also had kegs of beer," Spiwak said in May. "Nobody was hurt. What they used was ketchup, mustard, eggs and flour. There was no violence. I don't even feel the alcohol is part of this."

Prosecutors disagreed.

"Anyone who looked at the tapes can see that alcohol fueled part of the frenzy that went on," Goebel said Thursday.

"Some of the junior girls were drunk, and senior girls were drunk."

Goebel said police officers have told him that, after publicity about the hazing, fewer parents have been cited for allowing minors to drink in their homes.

"I think parents got the message," he said.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

The End

The last of the kids charged in the GBN hazing incident pleaded guilty yesterday. This kid's supervision won't be able to be expunged from his record, unlike all the other kids involved. This kid has been in trouble before.

There are still some loose ends--how will the school board react to the recommendations of the hazing task force, for example. We got a new handbook in the mail a few weeks ago with the schools rights to react to things that happen off school grounds made much more clear. The schools seem to act more quickly to issues which could become newsworthy--for example, our club hockey team waved a confederate flag in the homecoming parade (we're South--get it???). Before school started the following Monday, the damage control had already started. The school sanctioned GBS powder puff game was canceled this year.

I'm still a little baffled about how this hazing thing happened for so long before someone finally spoke up. I guess I'll never really understand it. I feel like I live in a community that values its youth and that emphasizes Character. My kids friends are all really great kids: they're involved in the community and take their studies seriously. It's hard for me to imagine parents tolerating a tradition like this for so many years, much less assisting in its logistics.
>>>>
Last student sentenced in hazing
Glenbrook reviews task force ideas

By Lisa Black, Tribune staff reporter. Freelance reporter Sean D. Hamill contributed to this report
Published December 2, 2003

The last person facing criminal charges from a brutal hazing last spring involving Glenbrook North High School students pleaded guilty to battery Monday, the same day school board members discussed a task force's recommendations on how to prevent similar violence.

Former student Eliran Maman, 18, of the 3000 block of Lexington Lane, Glenview, admitted he had kicked a junior girl in the head, which was covered by a bucket, as she knelt on the ground during the May 4 melee in Chipilly Woods near Northbrook.

Cook County Circuit Judge Timothy Chambers sentenced Maman in the Skokie courthouse to a year of conditional discharge, a form of court supervision that cannot be expunged from his record.

Maman and his father declined to comment.

"He's glad it's over," said his attorney, Alan Davis. "Most of these kids are really good children who made a mistake and are being punished. The punishment was serious enough that they thought about what they did. Chances are you'll never see 99 percent of them in the legal system again."

Maman was the last of the 16 students found guilty in the hazing, in which seniors at the Northbrook school were videotaped beating juniors at a forest preserve.

Five girls were treated at a hospital; one required 10 stitches in her head, and others had bruises and concussions.

Northfield Township High School District 225 expelled 33 seniors and disciplined 20 juniors after the incident.

The hazing prompted school district and village administrators to form a task force to study how to prevent it from happening again. Organized in June, the group looked at broader teen issues, recommending a communitywide code of civility, additional police training and increased enforcement of current laws.

District 225 board members told administrators Monday night to review the task force's report and decide which portions the district should deal with.

"I think an awful lot of this is outside the purview of this district," said board member Robert Boron, who was on the task force. "Some issues [in the report] have already been addressed through some revised school policies."

Some recommendations in the report may be beyond the district's power because of jurisdictional issues, such as better monitoring of teenage activity in the forest preserves.

"Most of this goes back to the home," said board member Tom Shaer, adding that he did not want the school district "to go hard into an area that is not our responsibility."

Supt. David Hales said the task force suggested that the board decide which recommendations to adopt by mid-April, before the anniversary of the hazing.

The Northbrook Village Board will review the task force's report Dec. 9 and decide whether to push for new laws, officials said.

Most of the students found guilty in the hazing-related battery cases have gone to college and will be eligible to have their records expunged in a year.

Maman has completed 80 hours of community service and been evaluated for alcohol and substance abuse because of earlier charges unrelated to the hazing, Davis said.