GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,293
2 members and 2,291 guests
Cookiez17

Old 10-09-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Depends on what he meant by underground. You can be underground with your school, but a bona fide member of your organization.
I know, but I just got the vibe that his school doesn't permit any sort of pledge activities for anybody ever - like Greek orgs as a whole are not just unrecognized but you can get kicked out for being in them. YMMV.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I know, but I just got the vibe that his school doesn't permit any sort of pledge activities for anybody ever - like Greek orgs as a whole are not just unrecognized but you can get kicked out for being in them. YMMV.
Or it is possible the school believes in the Insta-cross school of thought. essentially you get a bid and are initiated right away.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah my school thinks in that way. i understand working for you letters but i dont understand mindless violence...
Old 11-01-2009, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I put it this way--why would any organization want members with so little self-respect that they would tolerate being hazed? Why would anyone have so little self-respect as to want to join an organization that betrayed its own "brothers" by hazing? To me, once it's in that perspective, the right answers become clear.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyUaxe View Post
I put it this way--why would any organization want members with so little self-respect that they would tolerate being hazed? Why would anyone have so little self-respect as to want to join an organization that betrayed its own "brothers" by hazing? To me, once it's in that perspective, the right answers become clear.
This, a thousand times. This group whose informational I went to put hazing to the PNMs this way: "nobody who will haze you is worthy of being called your brother, and nobody who will allow themselves to be hazed is worthy of being a brother." That's my personal policy in a nutshell.

My personal opinion on new member education is that it should do three things:

1. Teach new members about the history and traditions of your organization, their expectations as a member and the like.

2. Help new members build a connection and bond with their fellow new members and brothers of their organization.

3. Help new members acclimate to and become involved in what's going on with their university. This is especially important with incoming Freshmen.

If more groups took the approach of "what can we do to help our new members become at home with their organization and new community" instead of "what can we do to test these guys and see how badly they want to be members" I think you'd see a much improved reputation of Greek life in general.