GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,209
1 members and 2,208 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-29-2009, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

IU fraternity rush

My little brother is a freshman at IU. He went through fall rush without a bid and is now going through second semester rush. He has been invited back to 2 popular houses he is interested in this month. His friend received a bid from one but still no bid for him. The frat still has about a dozen to give out. He had no connection there i.e. older brother etc. but is a smart, fun good looking kid who enjoys sports and to party a little. I'm trying to help him but can't quite figure out what is going on. He has had a girlfriend he met early in the year. Do the frat's prefer guys who are unattached? Any ideas of what his situation may be?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-29-2009, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quite honestly, if he's been invited back but they haven't given him a bid, they probably like him but are not 100% sold on him yet. Meaning, they may be keeping him (and other guys, I'm sure) around for a little bit longer until they have a better idea of who is interested and who is not, and then they may make the tough decisions about which guys to bid or not.

As far as girlfriends, I don't really think guys care. It probably would be a plus (sorry to say it, but come on its probably true in the minds of 20 year old guys) if she was either really attractive or from a sorority they really like. If she wasn't I don't necessarily think it'd matter either way.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoriasigma View Post
My little brother is a freshman at IU. He went through fall rush without a bid and is now going through second semester rush. He has been invited back to 2 popular houses he is interested in this month. His friend received a bid from one but still no bid for him. The frat still has about a dozen to give out. He had no connection there i.e. older brother etc. but is a smart, fun good looking kid who enjoys sports and to party a little. I'm trying to help him but can't quite figure out what is going on. He has had a girlfriend he met early in the year. Do the frat's prefer guys who are unattached? Any ideas of what his situation may be?
I went through Rush at IU and was even a Rush Counselor.

The guys really dont care if a guy is attached....in fact...that would mean more women for them anyway.

What they care about more is what your brother can contribute to the house. For instance...I've seen guys that were TOTAL d*bags get bids to "good" houses because they were a phenom in some random sport that would help a house get intramural points.

Is your brother deadset on joining these specific houses? The truth is that IU has a lot of strong fraternities....and save for maybe 2 or 3 orgs...your brother would get the full experience. Hopefully your brother has looked at every house with an open mind.

Also...keep in mind that a lot of houses were kicked off a few years ago and will be returning to campus soon. Because they have a strong group of alumni...they would be great choices to look at.

Whatever your brother decides....dont let him make the mistake of 1) Not going greek because he doesnt get the house he wants..or 2) Joining just any house because he wants to go greek.

If you have any questions you can feel free to PM me...I'm long removed from the system and I'm pretty impartial.