GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Xi Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,571
0 members and 1,571 guests
No Members online

Old 10-06-2006, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

It's Never Too Late!!

What a heartwarming story! Kudos to our Alpha Xi Delta sisters at Marshall for making this happen.

http://www.marshallparthenon.com/use...epublisher.com

Never too late
After 60 years of hoping to join Alpha Xi Delta's family, one 87-year-old becomes this sorority's newest sister
Cathleen Moxley
Posted: 10/6/06
When 87-year-old Doris Hoke was inducted into Alpha Xi Delta Sorority, she accomplished a goal she set 60 years ago.

Hoke was a member of Theta Rho, one of Marshall's local sororities in the 1940s. Theta Rho transformed into Alpha Xi Delta in 1950 and became a national sorority.

Hoke said she has four nieces who are members of Alpha Xi Delta.

"Alpha Xi is a family thing," Hoke said. "I always told my nieces that we were almost sisters, and now we truly are."

Hoke said she has waited 60 years to become an Alpha Xi.

"It's been a long time coming," Hoke said. "This is the one thing I wanted to do before I die."

Whitney Hicks, president of the Alpha Xi, said as soon as the sorority found out about Hoke, the sorority women automatically wanted to induct her.

"We didn't hesitate at all to call her back and tell her we wanted to induct her," Hicks said. "It's so touching to see a lady of her age see our sorority as such a special part of her life."

Hoke has traveled to various countries and lived in England. She has also been a member of several women's clubs such as the Officer's Wives Club.

Hicks said it is unusual for someone who has done so much in her life to want nothing more than to become an Alpha Xi.

"I'm honored that it was such a priority for her even after all these years," Hicks said.

Morgan Wolfe, a member of the sorority, said the induction helped her appreciate her own induction more.

"When I was initiated, I didn't really understand it," Wolfe said. "Watching someone else do it and seeing how much it meant to her really had an effect on me."

Hoke's induction was different than other inductions.

Hicks said after Hoke learned the history of the sorority, she was welcomed in and was formally switched from Theta Rho to Alpha Xi Delta.

Wolfe said Hoke should be a role model for all sorority sisters.

"She has lived her life and has abided by all the rules of honesty and morality that we strive to achieve," Wolfe said. "Her generation is what made our sorority, so she actually helped make what she was inducted into."

Hoke became an alumna of the sorority immediately after the induction.

Hicks said she lives in Nebraska and will be able to be a member of Alpha Xi Delta's alumni association at the University of Nebraska.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-06-2006, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
What a wonderful story ... thanks for sharing ... cudos to Gamma Beta chapter!!