GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,424
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zsamnthajnrz607
» Online Users: 2,417
0 members and 2,417 guests
No Members online

Old 04-25-2003, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Advice for a possible PNAM?

Hi, everyone. I never went through formal rush or COB for a NPC org in college for several reasons. A big one was that I was quite nervous about going through rush at my undergrad college - I won't name the school, but it's a big Southern school with a very competitive rush. I was always curious about Greek Life, and did pledge a MCGLO, but I realized it wasn't the right place for me during the pledge process and dropped out before initiation. In retrospect, that was a good thing, as the chapter of that org had a lot of problems and lost a good deal of their membership the next two semesters.

I graduated from college in December and moved, and now I'm pondering AI. I'm looking at two orgs in particular, neither of which was at my undergrad school, but both are at the school I may be taking graduate classes at this fall.

I'm wondering about a couple of things:

1.) How do NPC orgs view someone who did what I did - i.e. pledge a MCGLO but not initiate?
2.) Do any NPC orgs actually initiate graduate students as full actives, or would AI be the best option?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-25-2003, 11:05 AM

Re: Advice for a possible PNAM?

Quote:
Originally posted by MelodyCat
I'm wondering about a couple of things:

1.) How do NPC orgs view someone who did what I did - i.e. pledge a MCGLO but not initiate?
2.) Do any NPC orgs actually initiate graduate students as full actives, or would AI be the best option?
1.) I guess, my advice would be to be "cautious" and say less rather than more, so I would not mention the MCGLO pledging. You were never "fully initiated into membership" with the MCGLO so IMO, that chapter is over, closed and behind you.
Besides, if you had pledged an NPC sorority, but not initiated into full membership, then you are still a "free agent" and can initiate with an NPC.

2). Graduate Students..hmm, that's a toughie and to be honest with you, I don't have a lot of knowledge about Grad Students approaching NPCs. I think Phi Sigma Sigma initiates grad students, but I think it may depend a lot on the "climate" of the campus. (i.e. in general, the South is a more conservative than the North, but do not despair...we've had successful "Southern" AI's so it can happen!)

If you wanted to PM me for further advice or private "consultation", I am all ears and ready to listen!
Thank you for coming to this board, it's always wonderful to hear from women who are thinking of becoming a prospective alumna initiate!
P.S. Be sure to check out My Advice to Prospective Alumnae Initiates and then come back with any questions! We are here for you. If you'd like, I will add your name to the Roll Call of Alumnae Initiates and Prospective Alumnae Initiates as well!

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 04-25-2003 at 11:16 AM.
GreekChat Member

Paging CutiePie2000, you're on!!

Welcome MelodyCat. Just wanted to invite you to pull up a chair and pour a fresh mug because the people on here will shower you with some honest and constructive thoughts.

Since I'm not that well versed on MCGLOs, I'm going to defer to the others who are. I just wanted you to know you're not alone in this PNAM boat.

Hey, does this make the GC PNAMs a PNAM pledge class????

Have a great one!
Adrienne (PNAM-2003)

Melody - I know for sure that Phi Sigma Sigma will initiate a grad student as an active rather than alumna. There might be other groups but PSS has been confirmed on here.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:19 AM

Re: Advice for a possible PNAM?

Quote:
Originally posted by MelodyCat
I'm looking at two orgs in particular, neither of which was at my undergrad school, but both are at the school I may be taking graduate classes at this fall.
You did not mention which 2 orgs that you were interested in (and I would caution you not to post it publicly on the board...best to be discreet and not "show your slip" as it were ); however, if you wanted to elict any advice or feedback, I will try to help. I've been on this board for (coming up on) 3 years, so I've been in touch with many AI's, and know their stories, etc. I try to keep current on "The State of Alumna Initiation" across the 26 NPCs.
GOOD LUCK and we hope that you post again, soon!
Old 04-25-2003, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, everyone, for your warm welcome! I haven't contacted the orgs I'm interested in yet, but I'll be sure to keep everyone posted when I do.

adduncan, I'm about to PM you. Your sig tells me you might know a bit about the school I may go through the AI process at.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

You should definitely pursue A!. We just had initiation at the college chapter I work with. There were 2 Alum initiates. One of the women had pledged when she was in college but didn't return the next semester and was never initiated. (back in the days when you pledged one semester and were initiated the next, after you made grades). THat did nothing to keep her from getting approval to initiate with us-----actually we heard on her paperwork after only 2 weeks!

Two years ago, we initiated a grad studet as an alum. She was married and didn't feel like she could devote the time as an active member. Since that was already decided, we didn't have to find out whether the college chapter had to agree on her initiation. But I would think if you were going to try to be active,the college members woud have to invite you to join----I just don't kow about that aspect.

Good luck in whatever you decide and do!
Old 04-25-2003, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Do it, do it, do it!

Joining Alpha Phi as an alumna initiate was one of the best things I've ever done. Women have so much to contribute after their university days are over, and I for one would love to see unaffilated alums "join up".

Best of luck to you - and may you soon join the ranks of the initiated!

C. (PNAM Success Story - 2003)
Old 04-25-2003, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi MelodyCat!

Congratulations, you've come to the right place!

I am one of the veteran PNAMs here at GC. In case you are wondering "PNAM" stands for "Potential New Alumna Member".

There are loads of people here who can offer you advice and support and cheer you on while you go for it.

The fact that you previously pledged a MCGLO is irrelevant in my opinion.

Please do browse through this forum and check out the various threads regarding AI. CutiePie2000 has already given you links to some of them.

In addition, there are a handful of people like me who are more than happy to discuss this with you in private if you like. Please do not hesitate to PM me if you have any questions or just want to chatter away about it!

PNAM,

.....Kelly
Old 08-29-2003, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm bumping my old thread (after three months of lurker status!) because I do have a small update to make. I contacted the Executive Office of Group #1 this morning, so I'm hoping to hear back from them soon.

I've expanded my search to three organizations, as well.

I think maybe I'll call them by the names of candy bars: Twix, Snickers, and Butterfinger. Mmm, chocolate. So, by that logic, I emailed Twix this morning.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

TOO CUTE, Melody!!! Welcome to the PNAMs and good luck with Twix!!!

Lizz (PNAM tinydancer)
Old 08-29-2003, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Congratulations on this first big step. How exciting! We're in this together, so stay in touch.

LM

Be a Volunteer!
Old 08-29-2003, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I went out for the evening and came home to an email from Twix's Executive Office. EO gave me the contact info for the president of the local alumnae chapter, so I'm going to send her an email and see where things go from here. Wish me luck!
Old 08-30-2003, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Good Luck and please let any of us know if we can help.........
Old 08-30-2003, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Melody,

I wish you continued Good Luck in your AI journey. Hopefully you will from Group #1 soon.