GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,334
0 members and 1,334 guests
No Members online

Old 07-21-2018, 06:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Trans-Inclusive Language?

If your organization is trans-inclusive, would you mind (publicly or privately) pointing me to the language your org uses that affirms inclusion of trans members without relinquishing the right to be single gender?

I am trying to write policy which affirms that an org accepts transmen as well as cismen, but the language is clunky so far.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:58 AM
GreekChat Member

http://alphasigmatau.org/join/membership-eligibility/

The last paragraph. I'm not aware of any other written eligibility rules we have pertaining to this issue.

It's really rather basic. Whether that creates issues down the road, who knows

@~/~~~~
Old 07-21-2018, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
From deltagamma.org/ourstory

"Delta Gamma Fraternity does not discriminate in its membership selection on the basis of race, ethnicity, religious affiliation, color, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, physical disability or other characteristics protected by state, provincial or federal law. Membership is open to all individuals who identify as women. Those selected for membership in Delta Gamma must have good scholarship, be of good character and standing, have an interest in activities that will enhance the academic atmosphere at the college or university, and have a sincere desire to contribute to the work of Delta Gamma. "
Old 07-21-2018, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, ladies. This is a great start for me. I also found this, which is a little more than what I was looking for, but might be helpful for others who google and find this page:

https://www.campuspride.org/resource...es-sororities/
Old 07-21-2018, 06:39 PM

Here is a press release from a bit over a year ago stipulating AEPhi's inclusive membership policy.

Quote:
As stated in the Constitution of Alpha Epsilon Phi, individual membership shall be limited to women. A
woman, for the purposes of our laws, and our organization, is any individual who at the time of both her
pledging and initiation, self identifies as a woman, regardless of her assigned sex at birth.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Our position is still that we have no position. It's up to the chapter. I think Delta Gamma's statement is on the money though. Maybe I'll look back on this post in 20 years and think I was being a curmudgeon, but fraternities are designed for folks who identify as men, sororities are for folks who identify as women and for those who identify as neither, organizations which have been gender specific for 100+ years are not going to change overnight for you.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-22-2018, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Our position is still that we have no position. It's up to the chapter. I think Delta Gamma's statement is on the money though. Maybe I'll look back on this post in 20 years and think I was being a curmudgeon, but fraternities are designed for folks who identify as men, sororities are for folks who identify as women and for those who identify as neither, organizations which have been gender specific for 100+ years are not going to change overnight for you.
Trans people do not identify as neither, they were born the wrong gender and as such are taking steps to rectify that.
Here is a super helpful article if you're interested in learning more:
https://everydayfeminism.com/2016/08/transgender-101/
Old 07-22-2018, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldBows View Post
Trans people do not identify as neither, they were born the wrong gender and as such are taking steps to rectify that.
No, they were born the wrong sex and as a result are mentally ill.

They should be given all the concern that we give the mentally ill.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 07-22-2018, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
I take exception to that. Being born with a foot on your back doesn’t mean you’re mentally ill, it means you have the wrong parts.

Last edited by APhi2KD; 07-22-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I think DG's statement is a good start, but I am not sure that it is specific enough. (I am not judging, however.)

If I am reading you correctly, you are moreso responding to those who are gender nonbinary and/or gender fluid rather than those who are transgender.

My personal stance is in line with DG (and all the others like it).

Further, when we are discussing the BGLOs in particular, because there are so few that they typically have "national" stereotypes, I believe that there is a performance of gender at play here which, to me, would make membership equally appealing to trans and cis people.

If I had a transman friend who wanted to be an Alpha, he would need to be aligned with the way in which Alpha performs masculinity. If he is gender nobinary or gender fluid, he would not feel at home in Alpha and I would not recommend that he join.

There is also the whole idea of passability, which is another can of worms. A transperson who can pass for cis is obviously going to have an easier time in any organization. Unfair, but that's where we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldBows View Post
Here is a super helpful article if you're interested in learning more:
https://everydayfeminism.com/2016/08/transgender-101/
Is anyone born a gender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post

They should be given all the concern that we give the mentally ill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
I take exception to that. Being born with a foot on your back doesn’t mean you’re mentally ill, it means you have the wrong parts.
I am not sure if I am reading this the way EW intended, but being "born the wrong sex" really does result in mental illness if the person is not born in a supportive family. Transfolks are at high risk for depression, anxiety, and whatnot.

I didn't think EW was saying being trans itself is a mental illness. If so, I don't agree with that.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
For Delta Phi Epsilon

Philadelphia, PA – Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority is proud to announce its board-approved Trans Women and Gender Non-Binary Inclusion Policy. Our International Governing Board thanks the Committee on Trans and Gender Non-Binary Inclusion for their hard work in developing a policy statement that aligns with the Founding Principles of Delta Phi Epsilon. The full policy is shared below.

Introduction

This document presents Delta Phi Epsilon International Sorority’s Policy on trans women and gender non-binary individuals.

This policy reflects Delta Phi Epsilon International Sorority’s commitment to antidiscrimination practices in relation to all trans women and non-binary individuals [potential new members, sisters (active and alumnae), volunteers, and staff] and ensures their rights to express themselves and live authentically are respected and protected.

The purpose of this policy is to establish an environment that is safe, welcoming, and free from stigma and discrimination for all potential new members, sisters, volunteer, and staff, regardless of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.

Delta Phi Epsilon International Sorority is welcoming and inclusive of trans women and non-binary individuals. Any conduct which fosters a hostile environment for trans women and non-binary individuals will not be tolerated. Delta Phi Epsilon International Sorority will include trans women and non-binary individuals as members in all areas of the organization as long as they are willing to accept and share in the collective experiences of the sisterhood.

While recognizing this is Delta Phi Epsilon International Sorority’s Policy on trans women and gender non-binary individuals, we trust and empower each one of our Chapters to make decisions that is the best for their Chapters and the Sorority in their recruitment activities.

Definitions

CISGENDER: Denoting or relating to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender corresponds with their birth sex.

GENDER EXPRESSION: The manner in which a person represents or expresses gender to others, often through behavior, clothing, hairstyles, activities, voice, or mannerisms.

GENDER IDENTITY: A person’s deeply held sense or psychological knowledge of their own gender, which can include being female, male, another gender, or no gender. Gender identity is an innate and largely inflexible part of a person’s identity. One’s gender identity can be the same or different than the gender assigned at birth. The responsibility for determining an individual’s gender identity rests with the individual.

GENDER NONCONFORMING: A term for people whose gender expression differs from stereotypical expectations, such as “feminine” boys, “masculine” girls, and those who are perceived as androgynous. This includes people who identify outside traditional gender categories or identify as multiple genders. Other terms that can have similar meanings include gender diverse or gender expansive.

NONBINARY/GENDERQUEER: Terms used by those who identify with neither, both, or a combination of genders.

SEXUAL ORIENTATION: A person’s romantic and/or physical attraction to people of the same or opposite gender or both or other genders. Transgender and gender nonconforming people may have any sexual orientation.

TRANSGENDER: An adjective describing a person whose gender identity or expression is different from that traditionally associated with an assigned gender at birth.

TRANSITION: The process in which a person goes from living and identifying as one gender to living and identifying as another. Transition is a process that is different for everyone, and it may or may not involve social, legal, or physical changes. There is no one step or set of steps that an individual must undergo in order to have their gender identity affirmed and respected.

Names and Pronouns

Every individual has the right to be addressed by a name and pronouns that correspond to the individual’s gender identity. Regardless of whether a transgender or gender nonconforming individual has legally changed their name or gender, Delta Phi Epsilon will allow individuals to use a chosen name and gender pronouns that reflect their identity. It is recommended that transgender or gender nonconforming individuals are asked how they want to be addressed.

Recruitment

Women will always be considered, regardless of other identities the (potential) member holds. This is inclusive of cisgender women and transgender women.

Identities that may be considered for membership include non-binary, gender nonconforming individuals who are committed to the advancement of womanhood.

Identities that will not be considered regardless of belief in womanhood are cisgender men, what we define as a person designated male at birth and identify as a man.

No member is required to provide documentation regarding their gender. We welcome all women as they self-identify. Additionally, all gender expressions of students extended membership are welcome in Delta Phi Epsilon.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
Philadelphia, PA – Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority is proud to announce its board-approved Trans Women and Gender Non-Binary Inclusion Policy.

Names and Pronouns

Every individual has the right to be addressed by a name and pronouns that correspond to the individual’s gender identity. Regardless of whether a transgender or gender nonconforming individual has legally changed their name or gender, Delta Phi Epsilon will allow individuals to use a chosen name and gender pronouns that reflect their identity. It is recommended that transgender or gender nonconforming individuals are asked how they want to be addressed.
This could certainly make for some interesting recruitment conversations.