GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 868
0 members and 868 guests
No Members online

Old 06-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Lkl243

Bdhkdjj

Gjkksakhkk

Last edited by Lkl243; 06-17-2014 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Bdjgky
Old 06-17-2014, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkl243 View Post
I am currently a rising sophomore and had joined a sorority at the start of my freshman year. The sorority I joined does not have the best reputation on campus and i'm now embarassed that I am associated with it. The socials we have are also with frats with similar reputations(more creepy guys). The label of our sorority is so bad that you may be a cute girl in it but if caught in your letters some would think something was wrong with you (this makes me furious because I PICKED this sorority because I thought the girls seemed nicer-i wasnt aware of the full extent of the reputation until spring semester). I have a few close friends in the sorority but feel totally different from the rest of the girls. I'm afraid that if I drop I'll end up hurting some of the girls feelings. I'm also afraid they will all dislike me strongly even if I make up an excuse (many have thought I would drop for awhile). I have friends outside the sorority and am not living in the house. Greek life is also a huge part of the school I go to, i'm afaid of missing out on things if I drop.
I hate to say this but your perspective is a bit skewed. Being in a sisterhood is beyond your short 4 years of college. If you are unhappy with the reputation of the sorority you are in, then by leaving you will be contributing nothing to trying to make a change for the better. But if you really feel like your presence does not add value to the group as a whole, then I'm sure the opinions of people on a online posting board will not stop you as it already seems like you have made up your mind.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am currently a rising sophomore and had joined a sorority at the start of my freshman year. The sorority I joined does not have the best reputation on campus and i'm now embarassed that I am associated with it. The socials we have are also with frats with similar reputations(more creepy guys). The label of our sorority is so bad that you may be a cute girl in it but if caught in your letters some would think something was wrong with you (this makes me furious because I PICKED this sorority because I thought the girls seemed nicer-i wasnt aware of the full extent of the reputation until spring semester). I have a few close friends in the sorority but feel totally different from the rest of the girls. I'm afraid that if I drop I'll end up hurting some of the girls feelings. I'm also afraid they will all dislike me strongly even if I make up an excuse (many have thought I would drop for awhile). I have friends outside the sorority and am not living in the house. Greek life is also a huge part of the school I go to, i'm afaid of missing out on things if I drop.
If this is your attitude then you would be doing them a favor by quitting. A true sister would want to help build and better the reputation of the group. Instead you want to abandon them. So please, let your true colors shine and quit!

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:52 PM

You need an attitude adjustment.

If you really did join this group because you liked the girls and are close to some of them, you need to shove that in everyone's face. Wear your letters ALL the time. If anyone says "ABC? Why would a cute girl like you join a bunch of hogs/sluts/geeks like that?" Your response is "because they were the nicest girls at rush. Am I any less cute because I have those letters on?"

As for mixers, there are other ways to meet guys. Also, those "creepy" guys might be a lot more respectful and fun to be with than the BMOCsthat everyone fawns over.

You can be brave and strong and be the change you want to see, or you can be a namby pamby weakling who lets others determine how you see yourself and quit. It's up to you.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:03 PM

Side note: this is pretty much textbook what I'm talking about when I say deferred rush weeds out people and is better for chapters with "bad" reputations, because you know the people who are there know the score and don't care.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Lkl243

This is all true! I didn't mean to sound bitchy i've just been having a rough semester. Whio cares what other people think?! I'll stay if I can afford it
Old 06-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is all true! I didn't mean to sound bitchy i've just been having a rough semester. Whio cares what other people think?! I'll stay if I can afford it
Thanks for QFP.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Funny how money wasn't an issue in your OP, you even said you'd make something up if you drop. So did you start making stuff up already?
Old 06-17-2014, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

OP, what did you mean when you said people have thought you would drop for awhile? Do people know you may not be able to afford to stay or have you expressed displeasure about your sorority with people you know?

I don't actually expect you to answer but consider this. A) If you've discussed this with people at school, I'm curious as to what they said--because I suspsect you came here so different people could tell you a different answer and b) It'll be a lot easier for your sisters to identify you on this board if you have told this exact same story to lots of acquaintances. Just...take that into consideration.

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthMode View Post
OP, what did you mean when you said people have thought you would drop for awhile? Do people know you may not be able to afford to stay or have you expressed displeasure about your sorority with people you know?

I don't actually expect you to answer but consider this. A) If you've discussed this with people at school, I'm curious as to what they said--because I suspsect you came here so different people could tell you a different answer and b) It'll be a lot easier for your sisters to identify you on this board if you have told this exact same story to lots of acquaintances. Just...take that into consideration.
Not to mention she gave her name in the introduction post she made. SMH

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.