GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,570
0 members and 2,570 guests
No Members online

Old 04-04-2005, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Houston?

Are there any GC'ers who can tell me about the lifestyle in Houston? Looks like I may be transferring there for work.

What's housing like? Culture & The Arts? Shopping? Dating? Community?

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Banned

White chicks like black guys there, there are TONS of strip clubs, prostitution is all but legal, the nightlife is decent-a couple clubs I know play EDM, it's a dirty town kind of like New Orleans, the weather is great and and you can get in plenty of trouble.

-Thats what I know of Houston.

ETA: And cops also drive around in pick-up trucks.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AznSAE
houston is suppose to be the fattest city in america.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cashmoney
White chicks like black guys there, there are TONS of strip clubs, prostitution is all but legal, the nightlife is decent-a couple clubs I know play EDM, it's a dirty town kind of like New Orleans, the weather is great and and you can get in plenty of trouble.

-Thats what I know of Houston.

ETA: And cops also drive around in pick-up trucks.
My family lives there. (However we are not from there).

It is a dirty town.

The burbs arent bad. SugarLand, Humble, etc.

Traffic is a bitch tho all the time, everywhere.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I lived in Houston for a short while and although there was always something to do, the communte was horrible. Everything is so spread out. You will definitely need a car.

Where you want to live:I like the 249/1960 area in the NW part of town as well as the Sugar Land area in the SW. The medical center is also cool. There is a rail that will take you from the medical center into downtown. Also, anything near the Galleria on Westheimer, only there is almost always traffic in that area. The lofts/apartments near the Theatre District are also nice.

Culture/Arts: Houston Museum of Natural Science, The Museum of Fine Arts Houston, The Children’s Museum of Houston, Holocaust Museum Houston, Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, The Menil Collection, Houston Zoo, The Rothko Chapel, John P. McGovern Museum of Health & Medical Science.

The Houston Ballet, Houston Grand Opera, and the Houston Symphony. The Alley Theatre, which received a Tony Award for Best Regional Theatre, the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts, and Theatre Under the Stars.

There are many venues which attract lots of big-name acts from Bruce Springsteen to the Blue Man Group.

Also, Houston is considered one of the nation's culinary capitals, with hundreds of varied restaurants representing a wide array of ethnic cuisines.

Shopping: Lots of shopping at the Galleria, Katy Mills, Woodlands mall, Willowbrook mall, Rice Village Shopping Center.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

There are tons of great restaurants, the traffic is punishment for every bad thing you've ever done in your life, and it's about 100% humidity all year round. And it floods easily. It's a concrete jungle.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

A-

I know an adpi out there from HB. Let me know if you want her contact info, I'm sure she can help you out a lot since she just moved there herself last year.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks all for the advice, and HB, I'd love to get in touch with a sister down there. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2005, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
From my experience on business trips there and my little sister living there, you want to live in the closest safe neighborhood as possible to work. They aren't kidding about the traffic.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 04-05-2005, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

No, they are NOT kidding about the traffic. I've driven down the Gulf Freeway at 3 a.m. in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
...I would kill myself. I get pissed off when waiting in traffic for like 5 mins.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tinydancer
No, they are NOT kidding about the traffic. I've driven down the Gulf Freeway at 3 a.m. in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Same for the Katy Freeway. ANYTIME is bumper to bumper. Like 2 am. Seriosuly. Guess thats why they are expanding it to 24 lanes or something. City had to drop major coin and basically bought all the stores/buildings/property on wither side of a major freeway through a major town to accomidate the expansion. Its about a 10-15 mile stretch of road. So it wasnt cheap. I dont know why they didnt just double-decker it. Probably wouldda been cheaper. I avoid the Katy Freeway whenever possible in Houston. Fortunately I am only on it for a tiny stretch of time when I go to see the family. I get to get off way out west and take either Grand Parkway or Hwy 6.