GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,588
2 members and 1,586 guests
No Members online

Old 12-31-2009, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Old 12-31-2009, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Make that +1 for this month: not-so-lucky123.

ETA: +2: appujohn

Here's a tip folks. Just because you can't see one of us online, doesn't mean you aren't being watched.

Last edited by SAEalumnus; 12-31-2009 at 01:36 AM. Reason: ... and they just keep coming
Old 12-31-2009, 02:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAEalumnus View Post
All I can say is, somebody must be getting paid if they're out in these kinds of numbers.
Well . . . since sign-up is a pretty basic (and old) captcha and posting requires absolutely zero interaction other than clicking "Submit" (plus this is a very common board type), it's pretty likely a bot could handle all of it - literally thousands of accounts and user names could happen every day on forums. There's no doubt the ads are contributing negatively - any hits or redirects will get the bots working overtime in search of more.

It'll get worse before it gets better if John doesn't do something. Which will suck for the volunteer moderators. Hope you at least got a Christmas card.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Bump

I log on usually pretty early in the morning, and always look under "New Posts" where there are always a gazillion spam threads.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:49 AM
GreekChat Member

This is starting to turn into GC Craigslist
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 01-19-2010, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Uuuuuuuuuuugh...
Old 01-19-2010, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
what, y'all don't want an iphone?!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I have one already!
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 01-19-2010, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Captcha?

Does anyone know whether there are version of vBulletin that use Captcha for initial registration?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, I'm tired of it too but that's one of the reasons John needed the help.

FYI, a LOT of these spammers come on in the dark-o-clock hours, 1AM-5am PST. I've gotten spammers (on more than one occasion) WHILE they're still posting. I just did it again yesterday.

And as a reminder, we are NOT PAID for what we do. Cut us some slack people. We get them as quickly as we can.

Quote:
Here's a tip folks. Just because you can't see one of us online, doesn't mean you aren't being watched.
This too.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post

And as a reminder, we are NOT PAID for what we do. Cut us some slack people. We get them as quickly as we can.
I don't think anyone's complained about the mods - its about John not taking the steps to prevent the crap in the first place.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It certainly seems that way. As a matter of interest, for as far back as available records go (3 1/2 years), there have been an average of 62 bans issued per month, but as of the time of this post, the most recent months have been 238 (Dec), 172 (Nov), 135 (Oct), and 65 (Sept). This year as a whole also saw 57% of all of the bans over the last 3 1/2 years. Not all of those bans were spammers, but I doubt the difference would be significant. What's really noteworthy is these are the numbers of individual usernames that were banned, not the number of actual posts that had to be deleted.

All I can say is, somebody must be getting paid if they're out in these kinds of numbers.
I dunno, it just seems like 3 years ago when I was a new member, we never had this problem, nowhere near as much as it's happening now. We're even getting movie spammers. That's never happened. Movie spammers? C'mon. That's ridiculous. I mean, what's next? And I'm not complaining about the mods or anything. I think you all are doing the best you can, and that's all you can do. It's just that I was wondering can John do something about it?

Last edited by cheerfulgreek; 01-19-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
That's ridiculous. I mean, what's next??
Spam spammers

MMmmmmm Spam....yum.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
Spam spammers

MMmmmmm Spam....yum.
lol
Old 01-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
I dunno, it just seems like 3 years ago when I was a new member, we never had this problem, nowhere near as much as it's happening now. We're even getting movie spammers. That's never happened. Movie spammers? C'mon. That's ridiculous. I mean, what's next? And I'm not complaining about the mods or anything. I think you all are doing the best you can, and that's all you can do. It's just that I was wondering can John do something about it?
Sorry if I came off mad. I was just tired. We've got a massive storm (San Francisco) passing overhead and I got a 5:20 am thunder-above-my-house-wake-me-up-and-set-off-all-the-neighborhood-car-alarms-and shake the house salute. OYE.