GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 829
0 members and 829 guests
No Members online

Old 05-12-2011, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
It's awesome what you all are doing.

I have said this before on GC but I would like to add that Delta has rescuers. Sorors should already know this, but if you find something on Ebay or anywhere else where it should not be, chances are the powers-that-be for Delta NHQ already know about it. When in doubt, contact the Delta NHQ instead of taking matters into your own hands or even the hands of a yahoo group.

That's how it works for Delta. Sorors have thought they were rescuing something but ended up bidding or buying against someone from our NHQ. No rescue there. There are other places to go if Sorors wish to purchase official items (not things like unofficial accessories and clothing) for their own use, as opposed to trying to rescue, and NHQ is such a place.
Yahoo groups are so early 2000s

I can only speak for myself but one of my major intentions with the group is to have information about say, jewelers, pin back mechanics, styles, and so on not used against people who are doing what they do for their organization or for historical preservation. If some random person reads this thread and sees a design element is rare or someone wants a particular kind of jewel on a badge, it can be used nefariously in an eBay listing. It is also useful to document historical and design elements, which includes groups that no longer exist and all of the jewelers who may or may not exist.

Not sure but I think there might be individuals who joined who may "rescue" by default of buying their own badges, and for their organizations. I think there are a lot of people who joined who are broke and just like shiny things and are history nerds.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Banned

I just want Sorors and nonDeltas to know and act accordingly. There are a lot of Delta items on EEbay that people are welcome to buy. However, those are not official Delta items. When it comes to official Delta items, Deltas shouldn't be putting them on EEbay and Deltas shouldn't be buying them from EEbay. The same applies to nonDeltas when it comes to official Delta items.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
I have a rather large collection of pins, mostly locals, that I would love to share with you too.
Leslie Anne, I am quite interested in seeing the "local" badges/pins that you've acquired. I for one am curious about the workmanship, design, etc.

From time to time I've seen what appear to be "knockoffs" of my own GLO's badge with other greek letters, or with some slight variation in the badge design. I picked up a very interesting kite-shaped badge quite some time ago and if I can get AZ-AlphaXi to help me, I will post a photo of it.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
As a member of a local, I'd *LOVE* to see more local badges. I was seriously over the moon when the archivist of my college posted a photo of my sorority's long lost badge on Facebook (go back a few pages for a photo!). Like, on par with my grad-school graduation happy. So often these groups had only a few badges ever made, and so their existence can really make a long-lost alum's day!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Google Group

If you're joining the Google Group here is a little information.

The group is by invitation only, so members are doing the inviting. All new members are moderated until they are approved and moderation is lifted. Once you join post a message to the introduction thread (you won't be able to see it, but if you post it more than once I can delete repeats) moderation will be lifted and there will be full posting access.

Please be patient and I'll get people in ASAP since I'm online daily. Also for those who join feel free to get discussing over there and be involved in documenting our shared history in shiny things!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD1978 View Post
I'd like to join as well. I'm in such a rural area that I don't have much opportunity to find rescues of ANY variety, but I do have a few and would like to keep up with things. Please count me in!
You'd be surprised my at what's out there my fellow rural squirrel. You can also contribute to historical documentation with just cruising the internet and making notes and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I just want Sorors and nonDeltas to know and act accordingly. There are a lot of Delta items on EEbay that people are welcome to buy. However, those are not official Delta items. When it comes to official Delta items, Deltas shouldn't be putting them on EEbay and Deltas shouldn't be buying them from EEbay. The same applies to nonDeltas when it comes to official Delta items.
I meant to also grab your other post about the omnipotent Delta HQ Elephant signal about what is for sale but I'm not going to mess with this post. I haven't seen Delta or NPHC items where I'm finding stuff, but once in awhile I see things not advertised online and groups may be unaware of them. A bonus to a private group is to be able to say to like minded and informed people "I saw this and thought you should know" and let groups handle it. Estate sales, flea markets, and the like aren't online and if I'm at Hillbilly Ray's roadside sale and see something I'd like to pass it on appropriately.

eeyorebay is so popular those things are on everyone's radar, so what I come across is more likely to be missed. If I find any "official and important" Delta things I can let you know. Like you I am a fan and purchaser of licensed and approved items for my para and gifts, but I do my own crafts for a lot of gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
As a member of a local, I'd *LOVE* to see more local badges. I was seriously over the moon when the archivist of my college posted a photo of my sorority's long lost badge on Facebook (go back a few pages for a photo!). Like, on par with my grad-school graduation happy. So often these groups had only a few badges ever made, and so their existence can really make a long-lost alum's day!
Then you should join and contribute. Am I right in thinking your profession provides you with skills that could help with historical documentation?
Old 05-13-2011, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I have an idea/suggestion:

VandalSquirrel, could you start a new thread for your Google Group and separate it from this thread, since they really are about two different things? This observation is based on thetygerlily's original stated purpose in starting this thread, and yours in starting the Google Group.

Major Advantage: people could locate your group easier, since it would be a stand-alone thread instead of being buried in this one.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
I have an idea/suggestion:

VandalSquirrel, could you start a new thread for your Google Group and separate it from this thread, since they really are about two different things? This observation is based on thetygerlily's original stated purpose in starting this thread, and yours in starting the Google Group.

Major Advantage: people could locate your group easier, since it would be a stand-alone thread instead of being buried in this one.

Great idea, AzTheta.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post

Then you should join and contribute. Am I right in thinking your profession provides you with skills that could help with historical documentation?
You are correct. Although lately it has been providing me with skills in frustration, but art history is a close second
Old 05-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I meant to also grab your other post about the omnipotent Delta HQ Elephant signal about what is for sale but I'm not going to mess with this post. I haven't seen Delta or NPHC items where I'm finding stuff....
I did not say omnipotent. I said Deltas and nonDeltas who find official items being sold online should contact Delta NHQ. Seeing an official item online doesn't mean that Delta NHQ is unaware of the item...or Delta NHQ may be unaware...that uncertainty is why people contact Delta NHQ.

I am simply following up on what someone said about rescuers and how some organizations have protocol and policies for this.

Last edited by DrPhil; 05-13-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^^ @DrPhil

I think it is great that you have put the info out there about DST, but I have the impression that this group is primarily for NPC and some local badges.

In other words, I don't think NPHC badges and symbols will be discussed by this group.

Just to mention. I've not been on e-bay in a long time, but when I would go on there from time to time I would see some NPHC badges. So, NPHC badges are out there. It is just a matter of if you are really interested in them or not. I'm guess that this group will not be.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Banned

I don't know what this group will or will not be doing. I simply put the information out there to follow-up on what someone said about organizations that already have rescuers.

I have been on EEEbay in the last couple of days and viewed the unofficial Delta items on there. People who are interested now know what to do if they see what they think may be an official Delta item.

Last edited by DrPhil; 05-13-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

PhoenixAzul, can you post your local's badge again? I remember trying to look at it a while ago and it's buried too deep!
Old 05-13-2011, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Do I understand this thread will continue separate from the group?

I have no real reason to join the group; I'm simply an ogler who occasionally finds something in a yard/estate sale. But I adore the gorgeous pictures of the fantastic badges.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

DGTess- yes, the purpose of the thread and the group are slightly different, so they can coexist. Feel free to add photos of any of your estate sale finds too!