GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,324
0 members and 1,324 guests
No Members online

Old 10-06-2010, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Sophomore rush

ok

Last edited by ahg; 10-06-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-06-2010, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahg View Post
My roommate is thinking about transferring to Texas A&M next year and she will be a sophomore. She is an a chi o pledge and is thinking about dropping out so she can rush in fall at A&M. What are her chances are of getting a bid?
Why doesn't she come here and ask us herself?
Old 10-06-2010, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always AlphaGam View Post
Why doesn't she come here and ask us herself?
^^ What she said. Tell your "roommate" to ask us and give details.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

She could also continue with Chi Omega and them look at the chapter at A&M for affliating - Chi-O has a fabulous chaper at A&M - she would be lucky to be associated with with them. ( I am not a Chi O.)
Old 10-08-2010, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaRose View Post
She could also continue with Chi Omega and them look at the chapter at A&M for affliating - Chi-O has a fabulous chaper at A&M - she would be lucky to be associated with with them. ( I am not a Chi O.)
Don't go recommending that route to people! Seriously, not all sororities mandate that their chapters must or have too (depending on how you look at it) take transfers. You may be recommending that this girl initiate into Chi O expecting to easily transfer into the A&M chapter just to be turned away. She may want to look into this a little more before making that jump.

Also, you might want to know the policies of other GLOs before making such outlandish suggestions.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-08-2010, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

You are absolutely right AOPi Angel - I'm sorry I didn't clarify (or actually even mention) that she would need would need to research and clarify the possibility with the Chi Omega national organization and even get information from the A&M chapter. I was just thinking that if she had liked her Chi Omega chapter enough to pledge maybe she would also like the chapter at A&M - I was lucky enough to be closely involved with four different chapters of my sorority and loved thiem all. I was looking at it from a "one is good and two is even better" perspective. She will need to look at the situation fully before making a decision.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaRose View Post
I was just thinking that if she had liked her Chi Omega chapter enough to pledge maybe she would also like the chapter at A&M - I was lucky enough to be closely involved with four different chapters of my sorority and loved thiem all.
You were exceptionally lucky, or your sorority is exceptionally homogenous.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:27 PM

Also, being an INIATIATED member of Chi O and transferring is one thing.

Being a Chi O NEW MEMBER and transferring is a whole different thing.

Bids (as far as I know) don't transfer between schools. If you get a bid and transfer before initiation, you are no longer a member.

You don't automatically get a bid from A&M Chi O once you transfer. You'd have to be extended a bid by that chapter to actually be considered a member.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-08-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know how to incorporate the quoted text from Always Alpha Gam's post where she QFPed the OP. However, what I see is this sentence:

"She is an a chi o pledge and is thinking about dropping out so she can rush in fall at A&M."

Isn't that Alpha Chi Omega, not Chi Omega? Or is this a typo? Won't know until the OP resurfaces. Note to self: greek letter font = good thing.

In any event, I think it wise to refrain from commenting on chapters in evaluative terms. Subjective judgements are just that.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-09-2010, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

good eye AzTheta! I had a whole thing written and then realized the OP never said the roommate wasn't happy with her AChiO experience, just that she wants to change schools. She may not have been aware of the possibility of affiliation, and thought she'd have to start over. To save everyone who isn't familiar with A&M (as I'm not) there is also an AChiO chapter at A&M.

But all the above applies. She could initiate and transfer and hope for the best, but I'd definitely do some research first.

Just looking at the numbers from the NPC recruitment thread, it looks like they have a proportionally large upper classmen quota so she'd probably have a reasonably good shot at going through again. Unfortunately it doesn't list total or even the recruitment results for AChiO so we don't know the (strictly numbers based, since that's all we have to go on) likelihood of affiliation.

Straying a little off subject, but concerning affiliation, other than the super competitive schools, how common is it to not allow a sister to affiliate? We had a sister affiliate and we were thrilled to have her, but I'm wondering about other chapter situations and how selective they actually are, regardless of the rules.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
You were exceptionally lucky, or your sorority is exceptionally homogenous.
Yes, because you can only like a certain type of chapter and can't possibly find any shared values with a chapter that's at a different type of school than yours. (Note that she didn't say she was a member of 4 different chapters- but that she worked with 4 different chapters. Advisers and/or (inter)national officers that recognize the value in chapters different from their own are not exceptionally rare.)

Last edited by greekalum; 10-09-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekalum View Post
Yes, because you can only like a certain type of chapter and can't possibly find any shared values with a chapter that's at a different type of school than yours. (Note that she didn't say she was a member of 4 different chapters- but that she worked with 4 different chapters. Advisers and/or (inter)national officers that recognize the value in chapters different from their own are not exceptionally rare.)
Actually, her words were "closely involved." At any rate, the advice she was giving was for someone actually contemplating JOINING A CHAPTER AS A COLLEGIAN. If she's comparing that to advising (or anything that ISN'T joining another chapter as a collegian) that's just straight up silly.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Straying a little off subject, but concerning affiliation, other than the super competitive schools, how common is it to not allow a sister to affiliate? We had a sister affiliate and we were thrilled to have her, but I'm wondering about other chapter situations and how selective they actually are, regardless of the rules.
We addressed this in another thread just a few weeks ago, but it depends on the campus. Large "collector" schools - where it's not uncommon to have students transfer from junior colleges or different schools - may have a lot of transfers so it's not uncommon. And it depends on the sorority. For instance, last time I counted, Phi Mu had 9 chapters in Alabama, so they would potentially have LOTS of transfers moving around. Alpha Xi Delta has 2 chapters at Alabama schools, so there are fewer AZDs to transfer.

And then you get into the issue of girls pledging ABC at Little College just so they can transfer to Big U and join ABC there, which happens to be the Big Sorority On Campus. Some sororities may require all their chapters to accept all transfers, but many let the chapters decide. So if you're an ABC at Little College, you may find that ABC at Big U will smile sweetly but not invite you to join.

Plus, the chapter at Big U may be totally different from Small College. If you transfer, affiliate, and hate the chapter at Big U, you're stuck. You'd have to resign the sorority to get out of the situation.

I always suggest that a transfer visit the chapter at the new school and get to know some members a little before actually affiliating.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl,

To clarify, I do not think my sorority is exceptionally homogeneous, but I do agree that I have been exceptionally lucky to be welcomed by members of my sorority everywhere I have lived near a chapter or an alum group.

I pledged my sorority at one school. I was initiated there and was a full member for two years.

Due to family illness needing me at home, I transferred to another school, affiliated with my sorority chapter at the new school as a collegian over the summer, and was a full member for two years.

I attended grad school in another state and served as an advisor for the chapter.

I got married and moved to another state, where I served as Chapter Director to the chapter near me. Several area girls attended this school for two years and then transferred to larger school and affiliated with the chapters at the new school. Almost all of these affiliations were successful. These girls were moving from a small school to a large school with competitive Greek systems. I helped them make contacts at the new school in advance and let both sides get to know each other.

I have since then served as an advisor to 2 other chapters as I followed my Army husband around the States.

Yes, being a chapter member is different from being an advisor, but I have made friends everywhere I have been involved with my sorority.

Army towns can be different. I once had a woman who had just moved to the area follow me home because she saw the sorority sticker on my car and wanted to meet a sister.

She is still a good friend.

I know this reply is years later, but it has always bugged me that I never clarified my situation and why I though my experience might encourage someone.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:17 PM

LOL OK