GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,104
1 members and 1,103 guests
Sarak24034

Old 09-21-2013, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Pro-hazing article in Cosmo

An article from Cosmo about how sorority hazing is like, totally worth it.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/advice/h...rth-it-SMT-COS

This makes me really upset.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Need to find an address to write Cosmo about their lack of judgement posting an article encouraging hazing

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 09-21-2013, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

She's a recent grad of Union College.

Is it just me, or do the "activities" she's describing sound like stories you get if you google hazing?
Old 09-21-2013, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Lets just say that in less than five minutes, I figured out her affiliation. I sure hope her national headquarters is on the case.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 09-21-2013, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

It takes 5 seconds to find out her affiliation. She said it herself. Her sorority is "almost" 100 years old and she attended Union College where there are 3 sororities. Also, in the comments section, a few people outted her chapter of affiliation. I sure hope this sorority does have a talk with their chapter at Union College. It's sickening.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I know, I can't understand if she was just making all this up to impress Cosmo, or if she hates her chapter and wants it shut down?
Old 09-21-2013, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

According to her comments on the articles left through her Facebook that's pretty public (idiot), she claimed that she was just putting out her experiences to explain that though hazing isn't condone, it still happens. Um, okay. If she was going to do all of that, she could have at least coded stuff. (Not condoning; just saying.)
Old 09-21-2013, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

If there really was this huge annual uptick in new members reporting to the campus counseling center, it seems that the Greek Life office and the sorority would have caught on and something would have been done. I'm just not buying that this much hazing could have gone on for so long without people outside the chapter becoming aware.

I know that my sorority would not have tolerated this. I can honestly say that I've never seen or heard of anything like this in "real life." I'm having a really hard time believing that the author seems totally unaware that this goes beyond "mean" and that it is completely against rules...she even seems to insinuate that this is part of their "secret" ritual that goes back almost 100 years. This is sick on many levels.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 09-21-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I am appalled that Cosmo would publish this article and contribute to the negative stereotyping that sometimes surrounds Greek Life. This article is absolutely disgusting. What disgusts me the most is how she admits to turning around after her pledge period and doing the same thing to the sisters in the grades below her. If you were miserable, why would you want others to be miserable? She should be ashamed of herself. I am proud to be part of a chapter and campus that has a zero tolerance policy for hazing.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

It's Cosmo, where every issue is the same: personality quiz! Mind blowing sex tips! How to rock a bikini at work! Not exactly the gold standard of journalism.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone else surprised by the fact that she called her mom every night and was telling her about it all? I don't mean to sound dramatic, but if I had told my mom half of that stuff, she would make me drop immediately and refuse to help me pay for my dues.

I'm also surprised by her comments in the comments section. I hope someone notifies her sorority's nationals. What a terrible image that gives what I'm sure is a wonderful organization.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Well. I don't care how many times she says, "I'm just sharing my story," in the comments and states that she's not glorifying hazing. I hope someone at HQ of her org has seen this and is working on getting things straightened out. It also made me curious about the overall atmosphere of Greek Life on her campus and whether this is common in more than her sorority. I'm not assuming that it is, but I'm thinking if so many girls had to take advantage of counseling services at her school and hazing was kept quiet that it may not be unique to her chapter alone on that campus.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetgeek View Post
She's a recent grad of Union College.

Is it just me, or do the "activities" she's describing sound like stories you get if you google hazing?
I'm co-signing with you on that one. The quotes are just ridiculous.

Quote:
Why do you think you’re better than us?” was commonly asked. “Who is the prettiest sister in the room? Which one of us is a lesbian and why do you think that?
When you decide to GO GREEK
!
Old 09-21-2013, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSUGURL View Post
Well. I don't care how many times she says, "I'm just sharing my story," in the comments and states that she's not glorifying hazing. I hope someone at HQ of her org has seen this and is working on getting things straightened out. It also made me curious about the overall atmosphere of Greek Life on her campus and whether this is common in more than her sorority. I'm not assuming that it is, but I'm thinking if so many girls had to take advantage of counseling services at her school and hazing was kept quiet that it may not be unique to her chapter alone on that campus.
This line in the article...

Quote:
Greek life on campus was an incredible network — I would never go anywhere without seeing a bunch of people I was friendly with. I also felt an automatic unspoken connection with the Greeks I didn't know. We'd all just been through the same strange and awful pledging ordeal, and that would always bind us.
... makes me think that others might be enduring the same thing. However, it could just be something she said for "dramatic effect", or whatever.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Banned

She was dumb to write this for Cosmo but she will learn her lesson.

As with any hazing thread on GC, responses may vary. Some of this is also cultural. There are sororities and fraternities in which people either do not discuss how they pledged (whether it was "hazing" depends) with nonmembers OR if they do discuss, sometimes to get bragging rights, they do so in an environment that understands the culture.

The latter is also why telling parents about your experiences does not alarm some parents. They have direct experience or knowledge of the GLO culture. Everything has limits so as long as you aren't telling parents that you are on your death bed, some parents will tell you to keep doing what you do and tell them when it is over.