GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,046
1 members and 1,045 guests
naraht

Old 09-13-2009, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Need HELP! What questions/answers to ask/give to impress the members during RUSH?

First round of the Fraternity recruitment for Fall 2009 is coming.....I'm kind of nervous now....
I'm afraid that I won't get the bid from any chapters at all.....as I don't have any friend in fraternity....
as far as I can tell....it it pretty hard to get a bid without any 'good' friend in the fraternities......

So, it is important for me to impress the members during the first round of recruitment......

I'm not very well in social skills....

What kind of questions should I ask? Any interesting questions that will impress the members ( in a good way )?

Besides, what kind of questions will I be asked during rush? In order to make a interesting and on-going conversation, how do I respond it?what kind of answers should I give to them?

Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-13-2009, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

First round? Your school has a formal fraternity recruitment? Anybody have any experience with this?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Hah, we're actually testing out formal fraternity recruitment at my school in the Spring. But how big is your school, frat?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
First round? Your school has a formal fraternity recruitment? Anybody have any experience with this?
We, at the University of Arkansas, have formal fraternity recruitment.

I would almost be suspicious that he was going through ours, except ours just ended today with Bid Day

But really, it doesn't quite matter in this situation, one would have to ask these questions anyways at rush.

I don't know how to answer your questions. There might be a sorority thread on this that would be similar questions.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 09-14-2009, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
But really, it doesn't quite matter in this situation, one would have to ask these questions anyways at rush.
I agree with you there, but it not quite the same. With an informal system you can try to figure out which fraternity you like the best, then you can start worrying about questions to ask. You don't have to worry about being cut because you the wrong person the wrong question.

And for the OP, I say to try being yourself, as I can't offer any other advise as I have no experience with that type of system.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a transfer student....so i think i missed the 'informal' recruitment in summer....
that's why I have to impress the rushers in a very short time.........
Old 09-14-2009, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to XYZ_E_class
Hmm.... well here's my advice. Don't try to impress. Trust me on this one. We can usually tell who's being real or fake. Ask questions that really matter to you. Its the best way to find the organization that's right for you.

I'd suggest the following questions:
-What are some of your major philanthropy/service projects?
-Are alumni involved within the chapter?
-What are the academic standards of the organization/chapter?
-How many members of the organization are involved on campus outside of the Greek system?

Good luck!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Aren't these boring questions? I think that the rushers will probably being asked these kinds of the questions in the whole day and I'm pretty sure they will feel bored about it.....
How could they remember me if I asking the same questions as others? They might think that I am a boring person after making these formalistic questions.....since this is our first meeting.......

by the way, thanks for the suggestions!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to XYZ_E_class
Hah, yes.. they could be taken as boring, but if so many people are asking them, obviously they must be pretty important.

I guess it would help to know why you're interested in going Greek, from there we can provide a few more questions.