GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,147
0 members and 2,147 guests
No Members online

Old 01-24-2012, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDLynn View Post
BRAIN FREEZE!!! I knew that!

I remembered that she was thinking Murray or Middle Tenn. It's MT that there isn't one....yet.
There used to be a chapter of AGD at MTSU. They were there through 1985.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryana View Post
I really don't see ASA, AST, or AEPhi having the funding (because they are smaller on a national level - though I could be wrong as I am not a member of those groups!) to be able to be competitive at Arkansas. Wasn't part of the reason groups are leery of colonizing at Arkansas the cost of housing?
An AR colonization is going to take the vast majority of resources for ANY group, large or small. Going to AR means not going to other schools, maybe passing up several campuses to take this one on. For some orgs, it's a great opportunity; for others, the trade-off (and the risk!) is just too big.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Sorry for the double posts:

Word has been passed that 5 organizations are presenting to Arkansas. There is the possibility that 2 groups will be colonizing at the same time.

I have broken my own rules of waiting until I have some type of confirmation for the information above, but I know that many people are interested in the plans for expansion at Arkansas.
If you only knew how bad my daughter is wishing and dreaming Gamma Phi Beta will be one of these groups. Arkansas was her first choice, but changed her mind due to out of state tuition. If Gamma Phi colonizes, she will drop everything and transfer to Arkansas. Go hogs!! Wooo Pig Sooie!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I think that the Sigma Chis sold their house to the BSU, who passed it onto KD. When the Sigma Chis sold their house, they bought the AXO house.

Gee_ess would know better than I do which fraternity houses, say on Stadium Drive, might be vacant.
If memory serves me well from the campus tour I took with my daughter fall 2010, Sigma Chi is the only fraternity on Stadium Drive. There is no vacant houses on Stadium. There is an old boarded up church across from Pi Beta Phi that might be possible land. It would be a tight fit for a house though.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Sigma Chi isn't on Maple anymore? And what happened to all the other fraternity houses on Stadium Drive? Didn't Sigma Nu just build a new house there?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

You are correct carnation. I'm brain dead from work today. Sigma Chi is on Maple. I remember no empty houses on Stadium. There is a small spot of land on Stadium right behind the stadium. Almost at the corner of Stadium and Maple.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
An AR colonization is going to take the vast majority of resources for ANY group, large or small. Going to AR means not going to other schools, maybe passing up several campuses to take this one on. For some orgs, it's a great opportunity; for others, the trade-off (and the risk!) is just too big.
That's why I was a little surprised to see Alpha Phi on that list. With current and upcoming colonizations, they have a lot on their plate already. Arkansas will be a Herculean task and resource hog for anyone, even if they don't have anything in the colonization "pipeline."
Old 01-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
Arkansas will be a Herculean task and resource hog for anyone
^^^ Hahaha! Bad pun!!!! Wooo Pig Sooie!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi is a big organization with a proven track record with large expansions. If they think they have the resources, I'm sure they can handle it.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
^^^ Hahaha! Bad pun!!!! Wooo Pig Sooie!
LOL I'm glad someone got that so quickly!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Alpha Phi is a big organization with a proven track record with large expansions. If they think they have the resources, I'm sure they can handle it.
I realize that. As are many others. It wasn't meant to throw negative light on the organization, just surprise that they were interested at this point in time (especially since no one was interested such a short time ago!)
Old 01-24-2012, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
I realize that. As are many others. It wasn't meant to throw negative light on the organization, just surprise that they were interested at this point in time (especially since no one was interested such a short time ago!)
It may be that the organizations had to reorganize or get funds available to make it possible to do this right. It's been several months, and several of these groups have had major colonizations complete so money may have been freed up to put towards this venture. Also, this isn't the MOST expensive venture out there. USC is MUCH more expensive to colonize than Arkansas.

AOII

Old 01-24-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
USC is MUCH more expensive to colonize than Arkansas.
Cost to colonize =/= cost to maintain =/= return on investment.

Methinks the ROI is the thing scaring shit out of people where Arkansas is concerned.

And I would hope that we are NOT one of the groups presenting - unless we have a super rich alumna tucked away who promised to foot all the costs if we tried to colonize there.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Cost to colonize =/= cost to maintain =/= return on investment.

Methinks the ROI is the thing scaring shit out of people where Arkansas is concerned.

And I would hope that we are NOT one of the groups presenting - unless we have a super rich alumna tucked away who promised to foot all the costs if we tried to colonize there.
Which is another reason why USC is much more expensive than Arkansas. Everything that makes Arkansas scary is at USC but amped up ten fold.

AOII

Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

I'm just wondering where they're gonna free up some land for houses. Really.