GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,533
1 members and 1,532 guests
No Members online

Old 01-22-2009, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
But where are they up front? And where does it say that you need to take Harvard undergrad courses before you can enroll in the extension school?
Am i talking to a 3rd grader?

The "Degrees and Certificates" page has listed all degrees and certificates programs the school offers. Each program has its specific admission criteria spelled out.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-22-2009, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
So, basically, the Harvard program is open to the general public and no one can be turned away as long as they've taken the prerequisite courses and achieved B averages. Whereas at a traditional university, not everyone is accepted to enroll. Right?
No. It does not say you will be admitted "as long as..." It says you "must."

Only 2.5% of the course takers are able to earn the degrees, certificates, or diplomas from the Extension School anyway.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
Am i talking to a 3rd grader?

The "Degrees and Certificates" page has listed all degrees and certificates programs the school offers. Each program has its specific admission criteria spelled out.
For the programs, can anyone be turned away if they meet all the prerequisites?

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No. It does not say you will be admitted "as long as..." It says you "must."

Only 2.5% of the course takers are able to earn the degrees, certificates, or diplomas from the Extension School anyway.
Ok, so you must meet the prerequisites and if you do you must be admitted to the school. It is non-competitive?

ETA: Neutral, look, the Harvard Extension whatever is an OPEN ENROLLMENT night program that any ole body can get into if they bother to skim through a few lower-level college courses. The "graduates" of this program receive an education of sorts (or else there were be no point in having professors/teachers) but they are by no means on an educational par with graduates of the real Harvard University nor could they possibly have the Harvard experience. For a graduate of the night program to even hint that he/she has received a Harvard education is pathetic.

If a person wants to go to the night program because he/she didn't have a chance to finish college, that's awesome! However, for that same person to put "Harvard" on a resume is stupid and misleading.

Last edited by preciousjeni; 01-22-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Where are you getting 2.5%?

Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
It can't be done because it's a DIFFERENT website with DIFFERENT requirements and a DIFFERENT internet in A DIFFERENT WORLD with Lisa Bonet as Denise Huxtable in a starring role!!!!!
But what about DWAYNE AND WHITLEY???

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
But what about DWAYNE AND WHITLEY???
True story: I NEVER liked the character of Dayne Wayne! Believe it or not!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
True story: I NEVER liked the character of Dayne Wayne! Believe it or not!
Blasphemy.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I was in the Whitley/Byron camp!

Also known as the Mrs. Gilbert "Die. Just die!" delegation.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
Ok, so you must meet the prerequisites and if you do you must be admitted to the school. It is non-competitive?

ETA: Neutral, look, the Harvard Extension whatever is an OPEN ENROLLMENT night program that any ole body can get into if they bother to skim through a few lower-level college courses. The "graduates" of this program receive an education of sorts (or else there were be no point in having professors/teachers) but they are by no means on an educational par with graduates of the real Harvard University nor could they possibly have the Harvard experience. For a graduate of the night program to even hint that he/she has received a Harvard education is pathetic.

If a person wants to go to the night program because he/she didn't have a chance to finish college, that's awesome! However, for that same person to put "Harvard" on a resume is stupid and misleading.
Anyone could apply to any colleges or universities. There aren't any minimum application requirements. What is so competitive about it?

Don't even bother to apply to the the degree programs at the Extension School, if you don't meet the minimum "must" admission criteria.

Harvard University confers degrees on its students. NOT you.
When the university grants degrees to students studying at the 12 degree-granting schools of the university, all graduates should be proud of their degrees and accomplishments. All degrees are FIRMED.

It is pathetic of you trying to deny the truth.

Last edited by Neutral; 01-24-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Anyone could apply to any colleges or universities without any minimum application requirements. What is so competitive about it?

Don't even bother to apply to the the degree programs at the Extension School if you don't meet the minimum "must" admission criteria.

Harvard University confers degrees to students. NOT you.
When the university grants degrees to students studying at the 12 degree-granting schools of the university, all graduates should be proud of their degrees and accomplishments. All degrees are FIRMED.

It is pathetic of you trying to deny the truth.
It's pathetic that you want to run around saying you have a Harvard degree when you don't really have one. And I think it's pathetic that you have any degree, what with your terrible grasp on the English language.

You sure are defensive. Must be because you know the program is inadequate.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
It's pathetic that you want to run around saying you have a Harvard degree when you don't really have one. And I think it's pathetic that you have any degree, what with your terrible grasp on the English language.

You sure are defensive. Must be because you know the program is inadequate.
"And I think it's pathetic that you have any degree, what with your terrible grasp on the English language."
How funny! Look at the grammatical errors in the sentence you wrote. You seem to ridicule yourself!

Last edited by Neutral; 01-23-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I noticed this thread and thought i'd chime in amongst all the bickering.

I served in the military from 2002-2008 and if it weren't for online education I would have never been able to acheive what I have in that span. When I first started college I went to Hawaii Pacific University's Monoa Campus on the island of Oahu. I took 4 classes and each semester was 12 weeks long. I typically had class about 3-5 times a week and didn't really get much from the courses.

About the same time those courses ended I signed up for four of their eight week accelerated online courses in physics, statistics, calc-1 and psychology. I don't know how many of you can recall these courses but they are not easy by any means and learning them online is a whole differen't ball game. I mean you are trying to learn them without much help from a professor and crunching 12 weeks worth of work into 8 doesn't make it easier. Oh and did I mention the tons of home work, reading, proctored exams and the thought of me getting any less than a C in any of these courses constituted me to pay back Uncle Sam face value for the courses? How about the fact my wife and I both worked 10-12 hours a day and had a family?

It sounds as if some of you never took an online class but want to judge it simply because you are looking at them out of context. They aren't made for the typical bachelor, they're made for professionals and dedicated family men that need flexibility. Sure some colleges let bachelors take the courses but the colleges I attended made sure you had at least 2 years of work experienece before you were able to attend online courses.

Oh, did I mention that some of the more prestigious schools have gotten more "brick and mortar" like when it comes to online programs? I just started the Medical Informatics Master's program at Northwestern online and it's no joke. I'm only taking two classes every 10 weeks but we have class for 2 and a half hours twice a week, tons of reading, tons of homework, group projects, papers and proctored exams during that span. Did I mention my wife and I are both still working and have 2 kids?

Oh and I almost forgot my Six Sigma Master Cert I took through Villanova--all Online. It was one of the toughest courses i've ever accomplished and very expensive. Granted, if you wanted to take advantage of their system the opportunity was there but I doubt anyone takes a 10k certification course to learn Six Sigma without attending the lectures and doing the home work.

Let me ask you brick and mortar guys this. If you had to choose to hire or work with a particular job candidate which would you choose: A recent college graduate from a brick and mortar institution or someone who has an online degree with six years military training, leadership/followership skills and/or real world work experience? The choice seems pretty easy to me but i'm curious to see what others would choose.

Last edited by MedInformatics; 02-03-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Military training doesn't impress me.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Military training doesn't impress me.
Do you even know what goes on in a military training facility? Little comments like that piss me off so much because I just assume you're some punk who thinks he knows everything and feels the need to put some arrogant comment out there like they know whats going on. Here's and idea maggot, go to Basic Military Training and technical training then come back and tell me what it's like.

Maybe you can go to a desert facility for 6 months of training so you can separate from your family for 15 months (or more) and tell me how "impressed" you are.

Go build networks and set up information hubs in hostile areas like Iraq, and then go on some message board and hear some punk who hasn't done anything that closely resembles giving up their freedoms so others can have theirs and tell me how you feel.

No, that's too tough. You'll sit on your but and type on your stupid computer and pout around like every other disrespectful American that doesn't have enough courage to stand up for their country. You'll then spout off at the mouth about how "unimpressed" YOU are like YOU matter one bit to anyone. I'm not sure what you've done with your life but I highly doubt it's anything like what the men and women that have been through this training do for people like you every day. How about some respect for the people that give you your freedom?

Disrespecting military training is like spitting in the face of everyone that goes through it. You might as well say you're not impressed with the military and what they do for America because none of it could happen without the training they recieve. Once you sign up for a branch let me know when you get back from Basic so you can tell me how much training doesn't "Impress" YOU... Your a clueless joke man. Get a life.