GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,318
1 members and 1,317 guests
No Members online

Old 05-14-2015, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Expansion advice?

I've been considering transferring schools for a while now. I'll be a sophomore in the fall, and I know that I'm unhappy with my school so transferring would be a no-brainer if I didn't have my sisters. However, I do, and I'm struggling to figure out what to do at this point. I don't want to leave behind my chapter, but I know that transferring would most likely be much better for me. I love my sorority and all of its values, so I don't want to just leave it behind. I was wondering if anybody had tips on expansion, or getting the ball rolling on opening a new chapter of my sorority at a school I'd possibly transfer to. The schools I'm considering do not have my sorority, so I'd love to open a new chapter but I'm unsure of how to go about it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-14-2015, 11:47 AM

First the school has to be open for expansion. Then sororities have to send packets to Panhellenic for consideration, Panhel has to pick groups for presentations, vote on who they want to come to campus, and the sorority usually wants at least a semester to do PR.

TL;dr - unless there is an interest group at your new school that you can talk into TPA, you will be graduated before the new colony even begins.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Are you unhappy with the school or your major? How will transferring improve your life? Will it be a smooth transition, I.e. No loss of credits.?

I agree that the likelihood of you transferring and getting a colony established before you graduate is slim to none. Add to that that the national office might not be interested in transfers, but rather start with an clean slate and it doesn't sound like it will work out as you home.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:04 AM

33girl and FSUZeta are spot on.

Plus, even if your new school were open to expansion and selected TPA, they'd do a from-the-ground-up colonization, and you may not feel as comfortable with the women chosen to form the new colony as you do with your current chapter sisters.

But - as you obviously know from your choice of username - you are a TPA for life. If you choose to transfer, you can always get involved on the alumna level.