GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,518
2 members and 2,516 guests
LaneSig

Old 05-10-2002, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Need Some Help

Calling all sisters!

I am currently working toward my Masters' of Arts in Sociology, and for my thesis, I am going to study the incoming pledge class and how they are socialized into the group as a whole. I am wanting to use some quotes from some sisters in my paper, and this looks like a GREAT place to get them. You can make it as long or as short as you want. I was just wondering if some of you all would share something with me - the first time you really felt that you had connected to the group as a whole. This would be great for my paper, and it will be fun to read.

I'll start:
I'll admit that it took awhile for me to get into the swing of things. When I left home, I was three hours away from anyone I knew, and I had left my boyfriend. I guess it would have been my second semester of school. Over that Christmas break, my boyfriend and I broke up (the night before I came back to school) and I was a wreck. I went to that first meeting of the semester and saw some pledge sisters, none of whom I was particularly close to, and they asked how the break was, and I lost it. They sat there and listened to me cry and complain, and all that good stuff that you do when you break up with someone. After that night, I felt a real connection with those few women and to the rest of the group.

Just something like that would be great. Thanks all!
Loyally in Epi,
Kathleen
(Theta Iota Chapter - Western Kentucky University)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-10-2002, 04:14 PM
UMgirl

I think one moment that my chapter felt that we were all connected and sisters was when we said The Purpose for the first time. As new members our advsiors would have us learn one line a week and we'd have to recite it by heart until we could do the whole thing without looking at out manuels. Well the one chapter meeting came when it was "no manuels allowed" time. I remember everyone trying to concentrate really hard, looking at the floor, the ceiling and each other saying it. But as we got further through it we all began to look at each other and smile (and snicker) cuz we actually had the thing down by heart. Right when we said the last part...This shall be my purpose.... is when the feeling of sisterhood hit.

Tonya
Old 05-11-2002, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Gosh, I'm in BG visiting now!

That's been decades ago so I don't exactly remember, but this I do..

I don't know how far along into the pledge period it was, but the sisters kidnapped us, took us for dinner and then we had to sleep on the AGD dorm hall.

Unfortunately for them, we had to sleep in the AGD hall lobby. One of my pledge sisters turned out the lobby lights. When she did that, it turned off the power for the rest of the hall.

Boy were they careful what they did to us from then on., lol!
Old 05-13-2002, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

MY SISTER MOTHER! I knew we would get you on here, Ishould have told you about this along time ago, but you were already an alum!

Facebook
Old 05-14-2002, 12:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to theta sig agd
I think there were two times when I felt a serious connection to my sisters. One was during our new member period and one was at initiation.

My first was, and I may have already used this story, but we were all in a circle at the preference party for alpha gam. It was a little different for us because we were all charter members and we didnt rush against any other groups. But we were in this circle and we were individually called up from the circle to recieve a single red and buff rose along with a card. One of the women from IHQ who was doing the rush just got done with this beautiful poem and after a brief pause she said...we the women of Alpha Gamma Delta would like to invite you beautiful women to join our sisterhood. We ALL gasped and got teary eyed and simitaniously joined hands!! These were women who just a week ago where complete strangers and we were now holding hands in sisterhood! It was a great start to a great sisterhood!!

The other time was at our installation when we were told the letters of our Chapter. We all again gasped and got teary eyed. I dont know waht it was about that, but I guess there is something special about getting your identity and being able to say " I am a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, Theta Sigma Chapter"!!

Enjoy! I hope you get alot of stories!
Old 05-14-2002, 07:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
This is kind of a dumb story, but what the heck...I felt right at home on bid day but part of me wondered if I had made the right decision because lot of my friends were in the other sorority I preffed. The next day, Monday (aka bar night), I ran into Katey (KateyAlphaGam-my pledge sister) on campus and we had lunch, talked, and had a really good time. That night everyone went over to the house to go to the bar, but as everyone else was trying to take their new members to the bar also, it was packed!

We stood in line for no longer than fifteen minutes before we were fed up. Then this guy, a PSK, came up to one of my pledge sisters and was like, "you guys should come back and hang out at our place..." so we decided to go. As we were leaving, I ran into my friend, a Delt Sig, and he was like, "you're not staying?" and I was like "no, everyone's sick of waiting...we're going to the PSKs," then he said, "the PSKs are having a party?" and since I figured that's why we were going there, I was like "yeah, I guess." So, after that dialog...

We go to the PSK house and there were only about five guys there. Everyone sits around on the porch, not having a very good time, when all the sudden, half the Delt Sigs show up. Then some of the PSKs started coming back, unsuccessful at getting into the bar, and some of the ASTs next door see the crowd and come over...and all the sudden everyone's talking and mingling and laughing...and I was thinking to myself, Hell Yeah! I started this!
Old 05-15-2002, 07:25 PM

" I will not party Sam I am,
Unless I'm with an Alpha Gam!"

Sorry, the last post reminded me of this. It was a T-Shirt w/ Dr. Suess from North Ga College. I think I have seen it from other groups too.

Last edited by theta sig agd; 05-15-2002 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theta sig agd
I was a T-Shirt w/ Dr. Suess from North Ga College.
Wendy was a T-Shirt
Old 05-15-2002, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaGam1019

Wendy was a T-Shirt
Dont know what your talking about....

(As I rush to edit post!)

You mean you didnt get that one Nina?
Old 05-16-2002, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

If it's a red T-shirt, I have it.

It's somewhere in my closet-- that's just STUFFED with AGD shirts. I swear I must have about 6 jerseys and at least 15-20 AGD shirts. Crazy stuff.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:52 PM

Yep Nina! That's the one! I love it too!
Old 05-17-2002, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LXAsweetie
Well, I think that the first time I really felt like I fit was actually before rush started. There was this big concert out on the quad and there were tons of greek people walking around in jerseys (wow was I imtimidated!) Well, I started dancing and hanging out with this group of Alpha Gams that had come over and talked to me. That night, I realized that this was where I belonged!! And I have known it ever since!

~Brittany
Gamma Iota
Old 05-18-2002, 11:46 PM

Hey agd300 are you actually gonna use some of these stories we are providing or are just wanting ideas? And if you do use them are ya gonna let us know??? Just Curious