GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 899
1 members and 898 guests
No Members online

Old 07-12-2007, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Fall 04

Summer has come and gone. I'm a junior, i come back to school as an RA and i'm a mentor at a middle school. I work at another middle school as a tutor... i just come back from a summer of interning at an investment bank - life is great! I can tell this is going to be a great year.

Sophomore year finished up for me quite depressing. I hadn't told many people about the not getting a bid a 2nd time (only my mom and Chris, at that point (and still) ex-BF but still great friends, seriously!) and it was eating at me the rest of the year. My mom was supportive and always said it was meant to be, that i would just have to play my cards right and be patient. Chris would hear none of it - he'd never been in support of greek life, and more especially because i hadn't been pursuing Black greek life...

Until now. Spring 2004 and all of the summer left me lots of time to do my research. As many of you GCers know from the nature of NPHC posters, becoming a member is pretty different. I know, quite an understatement. Someone asked why didn't i just join in Spring 2004. Well, a few reasons:

1. I was still "young." (that's personal i guess)
2. I didn't know much about greek life, and no one i knew was NPHC (but this would change)
3. Even if i did know which org i wanted, I live in NYC - not exactly Greek Country. Pursuing a chapter, much less events and members, proved to be very similar to landing a job... or finding a boyfriend! LOL definintely a needle in the haystack.
4. Community service - clearly a big component of NPHC life, i hadn't done much of it. Not that i would do more or less of it in light of wanting to be greek, but i hadn't done anything "formal" or continuous - a project here and there.

In other words, i needed to get on my grind if i wanted to be a member of greek life before i graduated (this is my thinking then).

So you know I eventually become a Sigma Gamma Rho, but I'm going to code the other three orgs just because. And all things awesomeness comes in 3's I name the orgs the following:

Morning
Afternoon
Night

So the essential question is:: What kind of person am I - an early bird, a high tea-loving lady or a night owl?

In real life, I'm totally a nite owl. Let's talk about Night first. When I was gathering all i wanted/needed to know about NPHC life, I said, "Oh man, i'm totally a Night person!" and coincidentially all these connections popped up. My aunt (unbeknowst to me) and 2 of my favorite teachers from HS are all Night owls. One of Night's colors isone of my favorite colors. My mentor's best friend is a Night owl.

The thing about nighttime is that it's dark... while i seemingly had these connections with various night members, you can't really see in the dark. And since i don't have X-ray vision well, i wasn't getting anywhere with Night. The local chapter was at a school kinda far and their events were sparse and not well advertised. For the most part I made it my business to make an appearance at their events and get to know their members, I kept stubbing my toe on the nightstand.

Well one wil only stand for injuring themselves for so long right? I knew i had to get out of harm's way, but something kept pulling me back to them.

I enjoy the Afternoon too - lunchtime, gossip, that whole hour to yourself! I didn't know any Afternoon ladies (well, I discovered that my old gym teacher was an Afternoon - proud of it too, as her daughter was one at Howard and always wore an Afternoon-lettered sweatshirt or cap) but I wanted to! Their website was nice and the most direct i felt in getting what i needed to know. Mind you, at this point everything i know about NPHC is on the internet - websites, message boards (i had just joined GC, and lurked on some other boards), hell I was an avid ATSB reader and even though NOW i can laugh at it, in 2004-2005, ATSB was the TRUTH!). The Afternoon ladies had a decent reputation but it wasn't one i wanted to be known as. At one event I met an afternoon lady and well, she was less than cordial. Impecciably dressed, but utterly unprepared for the event and left out of frustration. I, along with many interested members were so confused - what went wrong?!

I think that year one girl my year had crossed in the Afternoon but I was so scared to even ask her about being an Afternoon! There was a chapter at Columbia, but i was too chicken to go there if they had any events going on.

I absolutely dread the morning - please don't bother me before 11am! the only thing i enjoy about the morning is breakfast food, and i'll eat that anytime! In checking out the Morning, I wasn't all that impressed with them - something about the colors rubbed me the wrong way (i know - shallow right!). I didn't know anyone, currently or in my past who was a Morning person, but I did meet one in a Duane Reade near campus. It was so awkward, i remember cause i tried to strike up conversation with her. it was an early Sunday morning, i had run out for some stuff and apparently she had a day of studying ahead of her - she had a bulging backpack AND books in her hand. She mustve smelled the interest on me but she did hook me up with information to an event that was coming up... and she said, "Oh i'm sure all of Pan-hell will be there, so you should check it out!" The event was in a couple of weeks and you know I was hype!

NICE! Someone was willing to hook me up! Maybe I could grow to enjoy the AM hours? I didn't know much about the morning - I tended to sleep through it if i could get away with it.

I used to joke to my residents that my office hours were from 12-6am - that's how much of a night person I am. If i'm sleeping before midnight, i either have somewhere to be the next day (ie. an interview) or i'm sick. Similarily, despite all my setbacks, I wasn't trying to miss out on a chance to stay up late with Night.

Ok it's time to go to home, but set your alarms GCers - the next post i'll give you the scoop on how that event went!

Last edited by tld221; 07-12-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-12-2007, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

This is soooo creative! And you know I'm trying to read between the lines because I had a friend who was also at NYU (before you got there) and also pursued an NPHC sorority, but was not successful.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I won't say much about this one.

I don't know about this one. Gone forever, begging posts, way over the top and overly dramatic and wanting lots and lots of attention. Seems concoted and trying to outdo everyone else. But I will wait and see. Something is not right with this one, have no idea but reads like she wants attention and playing both sides against them middle. You never know. Good luck with whatever you do. Interesting read even if it is not real, but I am just back from my JYA and still wired and not chill at all and have been up for two nights straight reading all of these, so I am not getting everything. What ever, way too weird for me but good luck! LOL
Old 07-13-2007, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by key*key View Post
I don't know about this one. Gone forever, begging posts, way over the top and overly dramatic and wanting lots and lots of attention. Seems concoted and trying to outdo everyone else. But I will wait and see. Something is not right with this one, have no idea but reads like she wants attention and playing both sides against them middle. You never know. Good luck with whatever you do. Interesting read even if it is not real, but I am just back from my JYA and still wired and not chill at all and have been up for two nights straight reading all of these, so I am not getting everything. What ever, way too weird for me but good luck! LOL
DITY?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
UMMM...tld is a verified member of SGRho (sorry, I guess I ruined the end for everyone) who has been posting here for years. She's also my homegirl.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I haven't adjusted to being back yet.

I am TIRED and WIRED. Like I have said that I just got back from my JYA (Junior Year Abroad) and I cannot sleep, my body is STILL on europe time. I am nervous about being gone for a whole year and haven't really talked to anyone. Can't sleep so I have been up all night for several nights and am way too wired. I need to crash big time! I don't live anywhere near where I go to school so I am going back to all of these girls I have no idea who they are and that kinda freaks me. But this one is just odd especially these the so different systems. But I know NOTHING about NPHC, chalk it up to that. Just seems like she was begging for attention and doesn't post in like forever, but I am wired and really tired. I like these as it is getting me ready for the other side of recruitment. Give me a break, I have read these things all night long and several nights and these are soooo different. I was clueless any of this was going on and really do not know who she is. LOL

Last edited by key*key; 07-13-2007 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Oooooops!
Old 07-13-2007, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

TLD221 your PM BOX is FULL Empty it. (Or else)
Old 07-13-2007, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
I am TIRED and WIRED. Like I have said that I just got back from my JYA (Junior Year Abroad) and I cannot sleep, my body is STILL on europe time. I am nervous about being gone for a whole year and haven't really talked to anyone. Can't sleep so I have been up all night for several nights and am way too wired. I need to crash big time! I don't live anywhere near where I go to school so I am going back to all of these girls I have no idea who they are and that kinda freaks me. But this one is just odd especially these the so different systems. But I know NOTHING about NPHC, chalk it up to that. Just seems like she was begging for attention and doesn't post in like forever, but I am wired and really tired. I like these as it is getting me ready for the other side of recruitment. Give me a break, I have read these things all night long and several nights and these are soooo different. I was clueless any of this was going on and really do not know who she is. LOL
Dear key*key,

Welcome to GreekChat, the fraternity and sorority greek chat network. I see you are having difficulty believing what i write and generally think i'm begging for attention. Hmm, let me try to put this is perspective so your stay here at GC is as comfortable as possible.

tld221, the frequent SGRho GC poster since late 2003, post count: 1,767
key*key, the random sleep-deprived poster who seems to be drawing her own share of unnecessary attention since...umm... yesterday?: 18

you're almost a senior so surely you understand statistics right? The above information indicates that your paltry 1.01868% of my posts doesn't really hold much weight here. and if teh intarwebz reflects anything about who you are in real life, well then i will have my friend ShamikaT say a prayer for you.

I hope you enjoy your stay here, and while you visit my thread, please be sure to play in traffic. The heavier, the better.

Love ya!
-tld221
Old 07-13-2007, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
TLD221 your PM BOX is FULL Empty it. (Or else)
i'm emptying right...now...

and if it is Dionysus, ima kick her azz. and then tell her that i only do it because i love her.

Last edited by tld221; 07-13-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
Quote:
Quote:

who cares!!! No one asked you for all this explanation!!! Keep it moving..*sheesh*

<<<<annoyed
Old 07-13-2007, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
i'm emptying right...now...

and if it is Dionysus, ima kick her azz. and then tell her that i only do it because i love her.
Thank you muchly. Actually at the moment I'm thinking "RITY?"
Old 07-13-2007, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
LOLLOLZ.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
BWHAHAHA see i dont know if she was even worth the acronym...

( ::thinks abuot creating a new GC handle to post insane BS so people can reply "TITY?" :: )
Old 07-13-2007, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
BWHAHAHA see i dont know if she was even worth the acronym...

( ::thinks abuot creating a new GC handle to post insane BS so people can reply "TITY?" :: )
I really should have copyrighted that abbreviation. YOU ALL OWE ME A QUARTER!
Old 07-13-2007, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey, I am sorry!

Geez. I have been gone a whole year and everything was so different. You have said you had to get you head together after just going to St. Thomas for a week, I have been gone a whole year. I said in one of these that I am not new. With school and all I don't have alot of time for GC. But my computer crashed and I cannot remember my old password or any of the hints. I am soooo tired. This whole gc thing is throwing me, this format is so different than when I left. When did it get so different? This isn't anything like I remember. I couldn't remember my password or hints, so I had to start all over again. And, what's the deal with all of the signature stuff? I am like clueless about what has gone on cause I've been gone a whole year. And I am really kinda freaked out about going back to a whole house of girls I do not know and have no clue who they are, that is going to be so weird. I can't sleep. I have not gotten back into American time yet, by body clock is like totally wierded out. And I have been up for nights just reading these things to help me get back into the whole sorority deal and it is helping. You cried out because no one was reading you thread and said that is why you weren't posting. They jump all over anybody else who says that but not you so that was really weird to me and then you didn't post in so long and then all of a sudden, WHOA! I guess since I don't have any idea who you are or anything about it, this was just to odd. But I know NOTHING at all about NHPC.

Thanks for the wishes, I am so tired I will probably get hit by a car and it IS FRIDAY the THRITEENTH! Geez. Give a tired girl a break! You have even said this is a really different kinda thread and it is. Geez.

Last edited by key*key; 07-13-2007 at 10:00 AM. Reason: ooops!