GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,069
1 members and 1,068 guests
No Members online

Old 12-09-2016, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Question can I join a sorority at my new school even tho I dropped it at my last school

So the second semester of my freshman year of college i joined a NPC sorority,but turns the girls in this sorority were pretty mean and it got to the point that I dropped out in the beginning of this semester (I'm now a sophomore almost done with my 3 semester of college so I was only in the sorority for 1 semester). Well i plan to transfer to another university next fall and i was wondering if i could join the same sorority even though I dropped my previous school? I loved everything about the sorority and what it is about, it was just the people in it. Anyways, I don't know what to do or who I should contact so please let me know what yall think. Thank you!
Old 12-09-2016, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

If you were initiated in an NPC sorority, you cannot join another NPC sorority. You may join a local or a professional fraternity, however.

If you dropped before initiation, during your new member period, you may join another NPC sorority.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeaa I'm not planning to join another sorority. My question is if that can I join the same sorority that I dropped out from my previous school at the new school I'm going to be at?
Old 12-09-2016, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
If you were initiated in an NPC sorority, you cannot join another NPC sorority. You may join a local or a professional fraternity, however.

If you dropped before initiation, during your new member period, you may join another NPC sorority.
Yeaa I'm not planning to join another sorority. My question is if that can I join the same sorority that I dropped out from my previous school at the new school I'm going to be at?
Old 12-09-2016, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorainl View Post
The question about whether you were initiated into your sorority at your present school is very important. If you were initiated into your sorority at your present school then you may be eligible to affiliate at the school where you transferring. You would have to find out what that chapter's policy might be with regard to affiliates. If you were initiated and then resigned from your sorority, you are not eligible to affiliate with anyone
Old 12-09-2016, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMKD View Post
The question about whether you were initiated into your sorority at your present school is very important. If you were initiated into your sorority at your present school then you may be eligible to affiliate at the school where you transferring. You would have to find out what that chapter's policy might be with regard to affiliates. If you were initiated and then resigned from your sorority, you are not eligible to affiliate with anyone
I did get initiated at my previous school. But I'm just wondering if I can affiliate with the same sorority at my new school even tho I dropped out at my previous school.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

When you say "dropped out" - do you mean you dropped out of school? Or do you mean you resigned from your sorority? If you resigned your membership, you would need to contact your HQ to find out if it would be possible to be reinstated, and then you would follow policy regarding affiliation with the new chapter.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorainl View Post
I did get initiated at my previous school. But I'm just wondering if I can affiliate with the same sorority at my new school even tho I dropped out at my previous school.
Your comments are pretty hard to understand clearly. Dropped out of WHAT? It is not clear if you mean that you resigned/ dropped just your sorority membership or dropped out of school.

IF you resigned/ dropped out of your sorority, then you have no option to affiliate. Only members in good standing can request to affiliate with a new chapter of the same sorority.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
When you say "dropped out" - do you mean you dropped out of school? Or do you mean you resigned from your sorority? If you resigned your membership, you would need to contact your HQ to find out if it would be possible to be reinstated, and then you would follow policy regarding affiliation with the new chapter.
I resigned from the sorority. I had to return my badge and everything that had the letters. But okay that's the answer that I was looking for. Thank you
Old 12-09-2016, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Your comments are pretty hard to understand clearly. Dropped out of WHAT? It is not clear if you mean that you resigned/ dropped just your sorority membership or dropped out of school.

IF you resigned/ dropped out of your sorority, then you have no option to affiliate. Only members in good standing can request to affiliate with a new chapter of the same sorority.
I'm sorry I ment to say resigned but I would understand if they wouldn't want me back.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

It is unlikely that a member who terminated her membership would be allowed to affiliate at a different school. Your best bet would be to contact the sorority's headquarters and ask them.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

KD allows resigned members to apply for reinstatement, but there are several conditions attached, not the least of which is that a resigned member is not eligible to apply for reinstatement for a minimum of 4 years from the date of their original resignation. In their wisdom, I think they sought to avoid multiple collegiate resignations and re-affiliations with that latter requirement. It would not surprise me if other PHC sororities which might offer reinstatement options don't do something similar for the same reason.

Last edited by SAMKD; 12-17-2016 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Siri skipped a word