GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau

Old 03-14-2002, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Phi Beta has 4 founders. We were founded in 1874 @ Syracuse University.

Helen M. Dodge
Frances E. Haven
E. Adeline Curtis
Mary A. Bingham
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-14-2002, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Lambda Chi Alpha's Founder (yes, that's singular) was Warren A. Cole. Read about our founding here: http://www.lambdachi.org/fraternity/history/tfolca.asp
Old 03-14-2002, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hootie
Chi Omega's Beloved Founders

Dr. Charles Richardson occupies a unique place in Fraternity history, a founder of a women's fraternity. As a founder of Chi Omega, he drafted our first ritual and constitution, chose the names of our officers and developed the Eleusinian mysteries as the basis of our esoteric symbolism. In his many writings, Dr. Richardson often said that founding Chi Omega was his most precious accomplishment and the one in which he had the most pride and satisfaction. ~ taken directly from Chi Omega's National Webpage (www.chiomega.com)

Hootie
This thread is fascinating! I love learning things about other GLOs. Hootie, I know that Chi Omega was founded at the University of Arkansas and one of my friends from high school went there and lived in Holcombe Hall. Do you know if it was named after your Founder Joelle Holcombe or perhaps her family? Or is it coincidence?
Old 03-14-2002, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Sigma Nu has three founders below are bios I pulled from the history lesson of our new member program.

James Frank Hopkins, Alpha number 1, was born in Ripley, Mississippi, December 30th, 1845, to Colonel John W. Hopkins and Elizabeth Craig. Hopkins family remained in Mississippi until Colonel Hopkins moved the family to Memphis in 1855 to provide better educational opportunities for his children. At the outbreak of teh Civil War, the family again moved to Arkansaas Post near Little Rock.
The younger Hopkins, thena boy of fifteen was denied immediate enlistment in the Confederate Army due to his age. Finally, in 1864 he was accepted as a private in a cavalry troop attached to Anderson's Battalion of Fagan's Division. He was an expert horseman, and his skill was put to use when he was assigned to courier duty in several battles in the final years of the war.
In 1866, after the end of the war, Hopkins entered VMI in Lexington at the age of 21. 1866 marks the year the fraternity had its spiritual beginning, when Frank Hopkins rebelled against the injustice of hazing being practiced at the Institute. Hopkins is the principal Founder who conceived the idea of a brotherhood of honor, and he served as Lieutenant Commander (VP) of the original Alpha Chapter. He was the designer of the original badge as well.
After graduating from VMI, Hopkins pursued his career as a civil engineer back in Arkansas. He went on to serve as County Surveyor, Justice of the Peace, and Director of Schools. His dedication to the principles of Love, Truth and Honor held steadfast throughout his life as he served the Fraternity as its first Vice-Regent and attended Grand Chapters in 1902, 1908 and 1910.
On December 15, 1913, Alpha number 1 was laid to rest in the village cemetary at Mablevale, Arkansas.

Greenfield Quarles, Alpha number 2, was born in Christian County, Kentucky, April 1, 1847. His father, John M. Quarles, moved the family from Kentucky in 1851, and settled near Helena, Arkansas, where the father became a large planter.
Greenfield Quarles entered the Confederate service at sixteen years of age, acting as aide on the staff of his uncle, General William A Quarles. He served with distinction until he was captured in the battle of Franklin (Tennessee) November 30, 1864, after which he was taken to Camp Douglass, near Chicago. He remained there until May 1865, when he was echanged and returned to the South. After his release from prison, young Quarles entered a preparatory school in Toronto, Canada, studying there for a year.
In Auguest of 1866, Quarles matriculated to VMI , and soon became a constructive force in the development of the new society envisioned by Frank Hopkins. Quarles having been a prisonor of war, was mature well beyond his years when he entered VMI. In this regard he was looked upon other cadets as a resourceful advisor, and eventually rose to the rank of First Lieutenant.
Hi dedication to Sigma Nu remained constant throughout his life, as he became a prime mover in early expansion, notably in granting a charter to Gamma Upsilon Chapter (Arkansas) and attending Grand Chapters in 1902, 1908 and 1919. On January 14, 1921, Alpha number 2 was buried in his hometown of Helena, Arkansas.

James McIlvaine Riley, Alpha number 3, was born in St. Louis , MO. Born as the son of a whlesale merchant, the family had a comfortable competence. James "Mac" Riley attended St. Louis University School, then entered VMI in the fall of 1866.
From the day he arrived in Leington, Riley was a favorite among cadets of all classes. He possessed charming manners and had an affable disposition. He was a good public speaker and a gifted athlete. He was a member of VMI's first baseball team, which was organized in the fall of 1866, and played 23 games during the year. Riley played second base and served as captain of the team that only lost one game.
With Hopkins and Quarles coming from Arkansas, and Riley from the nearby metropolis of the Southwest, the three men became close friends. Riley was elected the first Commander of Alpha Chapter. On May 6, 1911, in St. Louis MO, Founder James McIlvaine Riley was laid to rest. Fraternity members cariied his remains for burial to a plot purchased in Bellefontaine Cemetery by the St. Louis Alumni Chapter in fraternal affection for the founder.

LHT
Kevin
MT 5
University of Central Oklahoma
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-14-2002, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Those wonderful 14 men.........

I thought that the founders' affiliations were mentioned in an out of print document called "In the Beginning" but it only lists who the independent was - Lewis Blair.

I know I have seen the SAE's listed in print. It must be in our history CD-ROM.

Quote:
Originally posted by pirate00
That's correct! I know Frank Reed Horton was an SAE, but wasn't sure which of the other Founders were as well. SAE is credited in "The Story Behind the Founding", by Frank Reed Horton. Quote:

"My Brothers in the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity house, where I lived, who were outstanding for high ideals and clean living, were all former Scouts. I felt a college organization should be formed that would strengthen men in these ideals, and give them an opportunity for Leadership experience and for Service to others."
Old 03-14-2002, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Kappa was founded at Colby College, Maine, November 9, 1874. The first five women to attend Colby were our founders.

Frances Mann Hall
Ida May Fuller Pierce
Louise Helen Coburn
Mary Caffery Low Carver
Elizabeth Gorham Hoag
Old 03-14-2002, 08:09 PM
Artimis

Alpha Sigma Kappa Founders

We have 18 Founders.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Killarny!

You know it's funny, but I think you are correct...that the hall was named after her. I believe Carnation was the one that told me that a while ago...in our thread "Chi-O Trivia."

Carnation correct me if I'm wrong!

Hootie
Old 03-15-2002, 01:44 AM

I thought I'd post a picture to go with our Founders!

Anna Boyd, Mary Comfort & Eva Webb
Old 03-15-2002, 08:28 AM
Unregistered-

Here's a picture of Alpha Gamma Delta's 11 forward thinking women:

Old 03-15-2002, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Killarney and Hootie ,

Yes, Holcomb Hall at the U. of Arkansas is named after "Miss JoBelle", as she's called on campus...she taught English there for all her adult life, I believe. It was a men's hall while I was there.

There are several reminders of the XO founders on the campus, the main one being the Chi Omega Greek Theater, where we had pep rallies. Around the front of the stage is inscribed in massive letters, "Richardson-Boles-Vincenheller-Holcomb-Simonds".
Old 03-15-2002, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's a picture of AOII's founders...

Old 03-15-2002, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

KKGs Six Sensational Founders

Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity was founded at Monmouth College in Monmouth, Illinois. Six young women were indeed pioneers when they dared to march into the most public part of the Monmouth College campus, its chapel, on October 13, 1870, wearing their golden keys in their hair.

The six collegians who started the Kappa
journey were (from left to right):
Top Row: Hannah Jeannette Boyd, Mary Moore Stewart (Nelson, Field), Anna Eliizabeth Willits
Bottom Row: Mary Louise Bennett , Martha Louisa Stevenson, Susan Burley Walker.

Mary Moore (Minnie) Stewart, the first President of Alpha Chapter, studied in the scientific department and graduated in 1872. She was the daughter of Isabella and James Stewart. He was a prominent lawyer and judge, and an early supporter and acquaintance of Abraham Lincoln. Minnie became a teacher in the Monmouth public schools and later a principal in Eustis, Florida. She was married twice, first to William Nelson whom she divorced in 1878 on grounds of desertion, and then to Lucius Field, an artist. Minnie and Mr. Nelson had two children, Harvey and Isabella, who died five months apart. The Stewart family monument near Minnie's grave reads, "If I am bereft of my children, I am bereft!" Harvey had been the first baby born to a Kappa and was given an engraved silver baby cup by Alpha Chapter, which is now on display at The Stewart House. Minnie died in 1898 at the age of 46 and is buried in Monmouth. She initiated Beta Chapter and took an active part in the organization of several others. She continued to retain her interest in the Fraternity even after the withdrawal of the chapter at Monmouth College. At the time of her death, the Fraternity had grown to 27 chapters. Minnie's older sister Belle was the last honorary member of Kappa Kappa Gamma, initiated at age 80 by Gamma Xi Chapter, UCLA, October 25, 1930. It is said that she had helped Minnie with details in the organization of the Fraternity, having graduated from Monmouth College in 1869, a year before Kappa's founding. Their younger sister Lucretia ("Crissie") had been initiated as a sub-freshman in 1877 at the age of 15, after Monmouth College banned Greek organizations and while Alpha Chapter was operating sub-rosa. Minnie spent the final six months of her life trying to trace and locate all members of Alpha Chapter for Fraternity historical records.

Anna Elizabeth Willits was a sub-freshman (a student at Monmouth Academy secondary school) at the time of her initiation. She was the daughter of Judge Elias Willits and his wife Elizabeth Fish. Anna received both her B.A. and M.A. degrees from Monmouth College and married Henry H. Pattee, a wealthy businessman in Monmouth. She was a lifelong resident of Monmouth, participated in community service, P.E.O., and served on the Monmouth Board of Education. She was also the adviser to the local sorority, Kappa Alpha Sigma, when it was formed at Monmouth College in 1900. Anna died in Chicago in 1908 from complications following surgery, shortly before the Fraternity's 19th Biennial Convention. She is buried in Monmouth in the Pattee family plot. Of the 33 chapters in existence at the time of her death, all but six remain. Anna had a son Allan and at least one daughter, who later recalled her mother playing "The Kappa Waltz" on the piano. During the re-establishment of Alpha Chapter in 1934, Anna's granddaughter Frances Pattee was initiated with her badge, which is now the only remaining founder's badge whose whereabouts is known. (It is a Fraternity oddity that only Anna's badge has been found, from the original order for twelve badges placed in the spring of 1870. It seems to have been a practice among the first Alphas to pass their badges to new members. Jennie Boyd and Lou Stephenson were given new badges by alumna associations. )

Susan Burley (Sue) Walker, another founder buried in Monmouth, was considered by the others to be the beauty of the group. She was the daughter of a Monmouth physician and was the youngest founder at age 14, most likely as a sub-freshman. Sue was one of the first initiates (before October 13th) and it was at her home that the initiation was held. She left school without a degree in 1872 (the only founder who did not receive her college degree) and became the first alumna of the Fraternity. Soon after leaving Monmouth College, she married Rev. A. S. Vincent, however Fraternity history contains little information on her life. She died in 1897, at the early age of 41, the first of the founders to pass away.

Hannah Jeanette (Jennie) Boyd, Kappa's first Secretary and the oldest founder, graduated from Monmouth in 1875 and taught school for years in the East Ward School in Monmouth and in the public schools in Omaha, Kansas. She had been raised on a large farmstead in Monmouth. Jennie never married and considered her Kappa sister and sister-in-law, Louise Bennett Boyd, her "sister." Jennie was described as having executive ability, a keen and analytical mind, and was the first Grand Secretary of Kappa Kappa Gamma in 1871. Ill during her later years, Jennie died in 1927 while on a visit to her brother in Florida, tended by Lou, and is buried in Green Cove springs. Two nieces, Helen Boyd Whiteman and Katherine Boyd Graham, were initiated by Alpha Chapter in 1934.

Mary Louise (Lou) Bennett, the only founder who lived to see Kappa grow through 77 years, graduated from Monmouth in 1872 and married Jennie's brother, Rev. Joseph Boyd. Prior to her marriage she had been a debater and teacher. She became a busy pastor's wife, living from coast to coast, and had no children. She and her husband lived in Jacksonville, Florida, for several years, then retired to Penney Farms, Florida. Lou co-founded with Minnie Stewart Kappa's second chapter, Beta at St. Mary's School in Knoxville, Tennessee, in 1871, which marked the beginning of Kappa's extension program. Blind almost the last ten years of her life, Lou was widowed in 1932, died in 1947 at age 94, and is buried next to Jennie in Green Cove Springs. At the time of her death, there were 76 chapters in existence, and 39,566 initiated members. Because of her frail health and failing eyesight, she attended only two Fraternity functions later in life, the re-establishment of Alpha Chapter in 1934 and the opening of the Boyd Hearthstone in 1932, which was dedicated to her. Lou is Kappa's first listed member, "Alpha 1," on the permanent roll of membership. The 1934 Fraternity History was dedicated to her, and as the longest surviving founder, she assisted with efforts to reconstruct Alpha Chapter's history.

Martha Louisa (Lou) Stevenson was born into a prominent family that came to Peoria, Illinois from Tarkio, Missouri, the daughter of Joseph Stevenson and Mary Jane Patton. Lou was another early initiate and the youngest Kappa. She graduated from Monmouth in 1874. Six months later, she married William Oliver Miller and had three sons and a daughter. Her husband was a member of Phi Delta Theta and a founder of Tarkio College. They lived on a farm near Monmouth for five years, then in Tarkio, Missouri, and finally in Kansas City for over 40 years. Lou was one of the two living founders who participated in the ceremonies which re-established Alpha Chapter at Monmouth College in 1934. Having a remarkable memory for details of the early years of Alpha Chapter, Lou was instrumental in providing information about the history of the Fraternity. After a long illness, she died in 1938 and is buried in Tarkio. Her niece, Annabel Stevenson McClanahan, and her cousin, Louise Patton, were initiated by Alpha Deuteron in 1934. Lou attended three Biennial Conventions (1930, 1932, 1936) and assisted in the reconstruction of the history of Alpha Chapter. Lou donated to the Fraternity furniture from her family's home which had been used for the first formal meeting, and she furnished one bedroom and much of the dining room at The Boyd Hearthstone. Her autograph book is in the archives of Alpha Deuteron Chapter, a book which lists the first member dismissed from the Fraternity.

Last edited by imsohappythatiama; 03-15-2002 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-15-2002, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks for posting that imsohappy...I have to hide my GC activity from my boss, and didn't have the time to post something so elaborate.

If you look closely at the pictures of the six Kappa founders, the pic on the Net doesn't show this as well as the picture in the NM manual, you can see that they wore their keys in their hair for the portraits!
Old 03-15-2002, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDHoney
Kappa Delta was founded at Longwood College in Virginia on October 23, 1897. Here's some information on our 4 founders:

Lenora Ashmore Blackiston was unconventional. She was a dreamer and an idealist filled with enthusiasm for new ideas. Nicknamed "Nora," she was a writer and a poet, able to put her thoughts into action. She was the one who first suggested the idea of forming a sorority, but was unable to put her lasting personal marks on Kappa Delta's beginnings because, after Christmas holiday, she transferred to Randolph-Macon Women's College.

Quiet and extremely intelligent, Julia Gardiner Tyler Wilson came from a distinguished and respected family; her grandfather was John Tyler, former U.S. president, and her father was the president of the College of William and Mary. She was characterized as capable, dependable and possessing considerable artistic talent. She illustrated most of the school's first yearbook and designed the Kappa Delta badge. After helping to found the sorority, Julia spent another year at State Female Normal before transferring to Dana Hall, a preparatory school for Wellesley College where she earned her AB degree in 1904. She joined her founding sister Sara at Kappa Delta's 50th anniversary celebration at the 1947 convention.

Daughter of a Virginia senator, Sara Turner White was gracious and friendly, but known as being a bit more straight-laced than most students. She enjoyed her friends and social activities more than she did her studies. Sara did not return to college after that first year, but remained steadfastly involved with Kappa Delta throughout her long life.

Mary Sommerville Sparks Hendrick was much loved and respected by all students at State Female Normal School. She was known for her fine character and gentle understanding. Mary had concern for others, perhaps because, at 25, she was more mature than the younger students. She was a Bible class leader. Mary stayed on and helped the fledging sorority through its early years.

Information from www.kappadelta.org