GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Omicron Pi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,270
2 members and 1,268 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-06-2003, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOPiGammaBaybee Send a message via Yahoo to AOPiGammaBaybee
I heard that a very funny lady named Phyllis Diller is an AOII... Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIalum
That's the first time I've ever heard that one! Beryana, you've been in the archives, ever see or hear like this?
Never heard of anything about that! I'm going to assume it is an 'urban legend' which can be verfied with some info. . . when was Coke founded and when was the earliest Georgia chapter founded (I'm going to assume a GA chapter but that could be wrong, too. . . ). It would be interesting if it were true, though!

Sarah
Old 08-06-2003, 03:44 PM

Jess, I have heard that one but have never ever been given any facts to support that rumor. (Yes, I know I could be wrong though!)

I'm sure we have plenty of famous AOII connections out there, like every other GLO does. Just remember that our Fraternity believes that each one of us is notable in our own way. No sister is held in a higher esteem within the bonds of AOII due to her personal celebrity, fame or fortune. Do ya'll know how much I truly love that about us?
Old 08-06-2003, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to pandarose18 Send a message via Yahoo to pandarose18
Earliest GA chapter was at UGA in 1935. This still makes it difficult to know for sure because even though coke has been around since the 1880's it was originally just sold at soda fountains and pharmacies. It was a long time before it was bottled and sold nation/world wide. I can't find a specific date for the red and white logo design for Coke. Maybe someone else might know. I'll also try to see what I can find out next time I go to the World of Coke!

Roses,
Sarah
Old 08-06-2003, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

After reading this thread, I got curious (also bored to tears at work!) and looked at the Coke website. I sent out an email asking for information about this, so as soon as I hear back, I will let you all know!
Old 08-06-2003, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Coke's reply:

Almost from the beginning, the colors red and white have been used in visual advertising for Coca-Cola to dramatize the trademark. The earliest use of red in our advertising was by Atlanta drug stores selling Coca-Cola. They would hang a white oil cloth sign on the store front or awning with slogans printed in red that stated "Drink Coca-Cola, Delicious and Refreshing 5 cents" or "Coca-Cola Sold Here 5 cents."

In 1890, the trademark "Coca-Cola" began to appear in red in
newspapers. During the late 1920s, the trademark "Coca-Cola" was used in white on a "Standard Red" background. The color arrangement of red on white and white on red has been used alternately over the years. In 1970, the Dynamic Ribbon Device was introduced, and the "Standard Red" became brighter.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

During my chapter's last Founder's Day celebration I heard the story about the Coke connection to AOII. The Alumnae Relations chair themed our lunch around a "Coke Date." If I'm remembering correctly, the story about the Coke connection was learned at last year's Leadership Institute and the women wanted to bring it back and utilize it somehow. Do you guys want me to doublecheck with my collegians? Did anyone here attend last year's LI?

AOP
Old 08-28-2003, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

LI

I never heard that at LI....But, then again, I was so overwhelmed with the whole awesome experience that it may have just gone over my head.
Silver
Old 08-28-2003, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

We do have some connections to the Coke family. We have a transfer AOII who joined our chapter this fall. She was from U of LA at Monroe. She told me how there was and still is a very prominent family in Monroe, the Bedienheimer(spelled wrong) and they were bottlers of Coca Cola. Their daughter left her home to become a historic landmark. However, she was an AOII. At her home, her badge is on display and her garden resembles some very familiar AOII stuff. Anyway, I think that is where our Coca Cola connection came from. And hey, my father worked for 15 years for Coca Cola in New Orleans, does that count?

Also, Heather Soriano was in Miss USA and Miss America pagents representing the great state of Mississippi. She was a member of AOII at Nu Beta chapter at the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss).
Old 08-28-2003, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
Also, Heather Soriano was in Miss USA and Miss America pagents representing the great state of Mississippi. She was a member of AOII at Nu Beta chapter at the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss).
Here is her picture - courtesy of http://www.globalbeauties.com/gb/cov...a02_gowns2.htm

Last edited by NeonPi; 08-28-2003 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Famous AOPis

THe Chi Psi Chapter of AOPi at Cal Ply has a link on their site to famous greeks. It lists Phyllis Diller as an AOII
Old 09-05-2003, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
We do have some connections to the Coke family. We have a transfer AOII who joined our chapter this fall. She was from U of LA at Monroe. She told me how there was and still is a very prominent family in Monroe, the Bedienheimer(spelled wrong) and they were bottlers of Coca Cola. Their daughter left her home to become a historic landmark. However, she was an AOII. At her home, her badge is on display and her garden resembles some very familiar AOII stuff. Anyway, I think that is where our Coca Cola connection came from. And hey, my father worked for 15 years for Coca Cola in New Orleans, does that count?

Hi guys. I'm from Jackson, MS, and while I'm not an AOII I am a member of another Panhellenic sorority (try and guess!). Anyways, I was searching for "Mississippi" and I came across this thread.

The family to which you are referring is the Beidenharn family. Several Biedenharns also live in Jackson & I know two Biedenharn girls from horse back riding with them (they also used to go to my school). I wasn't aware of their family connection to AOII though, although I was aware of their Coke connection. Emily Biedenharn (my friend my year, aka collegiate class of 2006, and part of the Coke family) is a member of Chi Omega at Vanderbilt. Her younger sister Caroline is a freshman this fall at Sewanee.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: atlanta....its hot here... cant breath... too humid... helppp
ive heard about the coke thing too. not that the fountain looks like aopi tho.... but since our university is one block away from the coke museum, maybe i will check it out tomorrow!!!
Old 09-16-2003, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it true that the two girls that were most featured in MTVs True Life: I'm a cheerleader (the squad from Kentucky) pledged AOPi at their schools?

Are they still active?

Just curious.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:24 PM

I believe that is true, but I don't know if either are still actives. I'm thinking one went to UK and another to WKU, or maybe Murray State? I do not know 100% on this one, though!

How long ago was that show taped?

Christin