GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,611
3 members and 1,608 guests
AlwaysSAI, Xidelt

Old 01-08-2009, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
I also don't buy the notion that the china belongs to all of us. Last I checked American citizens can barely get near the White House, let alone even VISIT it. How does the china belong to us?
http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/tours/
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-08-2009, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

People are pissed off that a private foundation has paid for a new set of dinnerware for the White House? Wow. Get a grip you pansies.

I wonder how much it costs to rent out a 9 million dollar beachfront home in Hawaii for 12 days. Actually would like to know.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasWSP View Post

I wonder how much it costs to rent out a 9 million dollar beachfront home in Hawaii for 12 days. Actually would like to know.
Rentals in the Lanikai neighborhood range anywhere between $450-$1000 a night. Multiply that by 12 nights and it's still nowhere near what the china cost. I've stayed there with my family many times.

Lots of families prefer renting out homes because the Waikiki hotels tend to be twice the cost.

Last edited by Unregistered-; 01-08-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
And your point in posting this is...
Old 01-08-2009, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Certainly not as much as it cost to buy that china.

And if you think people should get over the china, then maybe you shouldn't be so concerned with how much it cost to rent that house.

Last edited by deepimpact2; 01-08-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
And your point in posting this is...
You said, "American citizens can barely get near the White House, let alone even VISIT it." His point in posting it was to show that your statement was not accurate and that Americans can, in fact, visit the White House. Many do.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been there. I was three.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I tell you guys what...I am right around the corner from there...I will walk that way for lunch and let you know what happens...will that help ?
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 01-08-2009, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
I tell you guys what...I am right around the corner from there...I will walk that way for lunch and let you know what happens...will that help ?
Nah. Being able to visit the White House =/= being able to walk right in unannounced and uninvited. Doesn't at my house either, nor, I bet, at yours.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
People are pissed off that a private foundation has paid for a new set of dinnerware for the White House? Wow. Get a grip you pansies.
Yeah, I pretty much feel the same way. The recession won't impact everyone, anyway.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
People are pissed off that a private foundation has paid for a new set of dinnerware for the White House?
Agreed - again, maybe bad public relations move, but other than that, no issue with me.

For those who have a problem with it, ask yourself this: do you think that the Obamas should skimp on furnishing the White House when they move in? Or, should they be able to decorate as they please? As I said, I have no problem with it at all, I think that each President should be able to utilize the donations as they please, decorating the White House and buying whatever flatware they desire.

I'm thinking at least some of the criticism comes more out of a dislike for Bush than it does out of a problem with the spending choices.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Nah. Being able to visit the White House =/= being able to walk right in unannounced and uninvited. Doesn't at my house either, nor, I bet, at yours.
heck...you may have a better outcome doing that at the White House I suppose....LOL

There, you may just only get beaten up....
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post

I'm thinking at least some of the criticism comes more out of a dislike for Bush than it does out of a problem with the spending choices.
Maybe even a combination of both.

Bush admin. is not popular (approval rating hovering somewhere near freezing) + bad economy + Bush Admin spending money on some china (regardless how it's paid for) = some harsh criticism considering the timing.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
Maybe even a combination of both.

Bush admin. is not popular (approval rating hovering somewhere near freezing) + bad economy + Bush Admin spending money on some china (regardless how it's paid for) = some harsh criticism considering the timing.
Agreed, exactly my point. It's not so black and white as being poorly-timed because of the economy, because I don't think some people would be bothered if the Obamas were making the purchase.

(And, to be fair, if things were reveresed you may have some conservatives criticizing the President-Elect if his White House made the purchases).
Old 01-08-2009, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
You said, "American citizens can barely get near the White House, let alone even VISIT it." His point in posting it was to show that your statement was not accurate and that Americans can, in fact, visit the White House. Many do.
In fact I did NOT say that Americans CANNOT visit the White House. I said they BARELY can visit. So he did not show that my statement was not accurate. He showed that he did not properly read and comprehend the sentence. There is a difference. I stand by my original statement. I will add that it is extremely difficult to get an opp to visit the White House. You have to jump through major hoops. Too many hoops for the "china to belong to all of us."