GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,202
3 members and 1,199 guests
Cookiez17, LaneSig
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
For them, being a healthy weight takes as much work as making a high GPA for others.
Right. I can understand an organization aiming for women who are the best at everything in every area of life, from leadership to fitness. But unless you are also excluding women who smoke, women who go tanning, etc., let's cut the BS that excluding overweight women has anything to do with who takes care of their body and who doesn't. It has to do with looks. If a Giselle Bundchen PNM came through rush -- someone who was able to maintain a tiny figure despite living on French fries and ice cream and never exercising -- we all know she'd do just fine in any "image-conscious" chapter, no matter what the state of her arteries might be.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-26-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depauwgreek View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but I didn't see where DePauw suggested the membership review to DZ?
It was in the article that was in the DePauw from Feb. 2. (Right after the "like, OK, wow" quote.)
Old 02-26-2007, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythreedd View Post
I also read the NYT article this morning, and my heart ached for the girls. But one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is the fact that Nationals brought in girls from Indiana University to "help" with rush while some active members were asked to stay upstairs. To me that is equally appalling.
I'm not happy to see that women from my alma mater were involved.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Goodness...this was even a "Hot Topic" on The View today. We've all heard Barbara & Elizabeth be anti-Greek before, but Joy Behar chimed in today in a major negative way. She said she had been President of the Queens chapter of Delta Zeta & when the National HQ did not allow them to pledge a Jewish woman -- her chapter decided to become a local group.

Yikes.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvySpice View Post
Right. I can understand an organization aiming for women who are the best at everything in every area of life, from leadership to fitness. But unless you are also excluding women who smoke, women who go tanning, etc., let's cut the BS that excluding overweight women has anything to do with who takes care of their body and who doesn't. It has to do with looks. If a Giselle Bundchen PNM came through rush -- someone who was able to maintain a tiny figure despite living on French fries and ice cream and never exercising -- we all know she'd do just fine in any "image-conscious" chapter, no matter what the state of her arteries might be.
Great point. If overweight women should be forced to "be healthy" (which isn't a great way to decide someone is unhealthy), girls who tan shouldn't tan, there'd be no smoking, no eating disorders, no unprotected sex, no binge drinking (or for some people, no drinking at all). I'm willing to bet cutting out all that wouldn't make them very happy.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Goodness...this was even a "Hot Topic" on The View today. We've all heard Barbara & Elizabeth be anti-Greek before, but Joy Behar chimed in today in a major negative way. She said she had been President of the Queens chapter of Delta Zeta & when the National HQ did not allow them to pledge a Jewish woman -- her chapter decided to become a local group.

Yikes.
Ouch. DZ's certainly not garnering postive national media attention as of late.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post

Yikes.
Zing! Not a good look, DZ, not a good look.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Havana View Post
I'm not happy to see that women from my alma mater were involved.
They probably didn't have a choice.

Either that, or they only got half the story.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
They probably didn't have a choice.

Either that, or they only got half the story.
They probably just got the "our sisters at DePauw are having a hard time recruiting and would love it if you could come help!" speech. Most active members would jump at the chance for a roadtrip to help another chapter.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
DZ is getting it's share of bad media, and they have no one to blame but themselves for the way this is handled.

I'd be really shocked if they don't see a decline nationwide of numbers during fall recruitment, because I really know I'd be hesitant to look at DZ at any school after this whole mess.

These women were sisters. Not PNM, not random girls, but sisters. How do you just "kick out" sisters like this? And yes, while I know they were offered alumnae status, it's not the same. If you don't believe me go ask the women in my chapter that were part of our last NM class...or ask anyone whos days as an active were cut short, no matter the reason behind it.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 02-26-2007, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueGBI View Post
Zing! Not a good look, DZ, not a good look.
You're hilarious.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

This topic came up on "The View" today. (luckily Rosie was not there). Barbara basically said that sororities were archaic and exlusionary, Deborah Roberts pointed out the differences in rushing in the "white sororities" vs. the "black sororities" Joy mentioned she was once President of Delta Zeta in college and was ashamed about what was happened now, and Elizabeth said she chose Boston College becasue it did not have sororities and fraternities.

Personally, I would have hoped we as greeks were whether someone "looks" like they belong in ABC sorority or fraternity. It makes us all look shallow, and greekdom is about so much more than appearances (at least for me)
Old 02-26-2007, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

What were Deborah Roberts comments? Good, bad? Just saying "it was different so I don't know what y'all are talking about?"

Le sigh about the View women in general disliking greek life.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
What were Deborah Roberts comments? Good, bad? Just saying "it was different so I don't know what y'all are talking about?"

Le sigh about the View women in general disliking greek life.
She basically said that her impression of recruitment in "black sororities" was that is was more focused on public service and scholarship vs. you looks and whether you fit in. I thought her comments were pretty neutral, especially since she didn't say she joined a sorority in college.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:33 PM

I thought Baba was an AEPhi, or is that an urban myth?