GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,189
3 members and 1,186 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 09-23-2011, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Question about recommendations

Hi all! Ok I will be transfering in January to a school that does deferred recruitment. I have everything lined up so that I will be eligible to rush in the spring rather than waiting. In order to make myself stand out from the girls that are currently at this school, I want to have the best recommendations possible. I have a recomendation from one sorority we will call it Ravenclaw. This recommendation comes from my mom's best friend since high school. One of the other sororities that I am really interested in (based on an open house school event last year....but not ruling out any other sorority that is at the school until I go through rush) we will call them Gryffindor, I actually met one of the ladies who is an alumnae and is an officer at the national headquarters. I met her through my job as a cashier, and when she mentioned her job, I told her I was rushing. She gave me her card with her e-mail address on it. So after this rediculously long story here is my question: Would it be "appropritate" to e-mail her and ask to arrange a meeting so that she might consider writing a rec for me?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-23-2011, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I would say yes. If I gave a woman my card with my email on it after she told me she was going through recruitment, I would expect an email. If you prefer, you could ease into asking for a rec by asking some questions about recruitment. What's it like, why did you choose your organization, what was your favorite part about being in a sorority, what was your favorite part of recruitment (as a PNM and as a sister), etc.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 09-23-2011, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
I would say yes. If I gave a woman my card with my email on it after she told me she was going through recruitment, I would expect an email. If you prefer, you could ease into asking for a rec by asking some questions about recruitment. What's it like, why did you choose your organization, what was your favorite part about being in a sorority, what was your favorite part of recruitment (as a PNM and as a sister), etc.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Can members currently in sororities write recs or only alumni?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawn View Post
Each group has different rules on this.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

It depends on each sorority's inter/national policies. And there are restrictions; e.g. a specific sorority may permit an active to write a recommendation for a PNM who is not going through recruitment at her campus.

Like I said, it depends on each sorority's policies (I use chapter in place of sorority, in case you're confused). And this is referring only to NPC sororities.

ETA dang AlphaFrog you speed typing or what?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-23-2011, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm training my auto-correct to do whole phrases that we are forced to repeat ad nauseum on here.

(Would that it were so!)
Old 09-23-2011, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawn View Post
Each group has different rules on this.
I'm pretty sure that every group requires that only members currently in sororities write recs. Now, as to whether those members can only be alumnae members or whether they can be collegiate members as well can vary from group to group.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I think your headquarters person is a gold mine and you would be crazy not to ask her straight up. She's probably very busy and doesn't need to develop a lifelong friendship with you before you get around to "making the ask."

Hi, we met, you told me what you do, I am really looking forward to rush, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Here are some questions I have... I have attached my resume here for your consideration. Would it be too much for me to ask for a recommendation? I'm glad to get together with you to discuss my credentials or we can talk on the phone. Whatever works best for you.

Of course, fancy it up and make it personal, but I would spit it all out in one email.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I'm pretty sure that every group requires that only members currently in sororities write recs. Now, as to whether those members can only be alumnae members or whether they can be collegiate members as well can vary from group to group.

smarty pants.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-23-2011, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
smarty pants.
Now, now. It's never too early for the PNM to learn that membership is for a lifetime.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I think your headquarters person is a gold mine and you would be crazy not to ask her straight up. She's probably very busy and doesn't need to develop a lifelong friendship with you before you get around to "making the ask."

Hi, we met, you told me what you do, I am really looking forward to rush, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Here are some questions I have... I have attached my resume here for your consideration. Would it be too much for me to ask for a recommendation? I'm glad to get together with you to discuss my credentials or we can talk on the phone. Whatever works best for you.

Of course, fancy it up and make it personal, but I would spit it all out in one email.
I agree.