GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,425
2 members and 2,423 guests
3DGator, Phrozen Sands

Old 08-03-2009, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txchrissy View Post
speaking of faux pas, would it offend a sorority of their new pledge who just moved into the house, brought with her a small security safe for her jewelry and such. My little sister is going through recruitment at a WA school, should she get a bid, she's worried about offending her new sisters with her small safe...

And it is in face very small, like a donut or pastry box, you know the square pink ones? I'm just trying to help a scared recruit out!
Theoretically couldn't someone just take the whole safe if they were truly intent on stealing and it is a small box?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-03-2009, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Exactly. If they could take the 35 pound safe and pry it open more power to them. I guess she's just worried about them thinking different of her, since she feels the need to protect her things. Oh well. I'll let her know its something to worry about only if she gets a bid.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I suggest using something that doesn't look like a safe. I know people who use hollowed out books, peanut butter jars, ajax jars. etc. Then she could wait a few months, see if her roommate is trustworthy or thinks she's paranoid and go from there. Or just leave the valuables at home for a few months and see what she can live without!
Old 08-03-2009, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

If she stores it in a closet and doesn't advertise it, then who's going to know she even has it?

Our Chapter house installed lock boxes bolted to the floor of each closet. The members are encouraged to buy a padlock and keep their valuables in it: cash, credit cards, check books, jewelry, even certain prescription medications in today's day and age. Neither the Chapter nor the House Corp is responsible for lost or stolen property.

Remember there are cleaning staffs, maintenance workers, etc. who have access to rooms. Some Chapters allow guests in rooms too (even though they are supposed to be supervised at all times, it doesn't always happen). While I hate to say this, we once had a member who had "sticky fingers".
Old 08-05-2009, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think you all saved quite a few of us from being "that girl."