GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Sigma Tau
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,311
2 members and 2,309 guests
Pinkmagnolia921, Xidelt

Old 03-15-2005, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jennie3576
i am asking for some input.....

A few years ago (mid 90s), I read a book that claimed it was about the Greek system. If you'd like to know the author and title, so as not to defame anyone, please pm me. Let's just say that the author was promosting the book on Oprah - before she had a book club! - it's now out of print, and the other books she has written seem very kitschy. In my opinion, anyway. Back to the book.....

I was so disgusted by the whole book - it made greek life very negative and did not portray it at all. As I read it, I felt the author got in over his/her head and did not enjoy him/herself as fully as s/he had anticipated, and maybe even was shafted or jilted or had a grudge or something.

Anyway, since I read that book, I have been working on my book. It is not a rebuttle per se, rather a guide outling the positives of greek life. I have completed the outline and much of the text, mostly opinion, my expereinces and some of my own research. Now comes the hard part!

I would like for input from other Greeks (of course, my AST sisters are first!!!!!) about positive expereinces you have all had in greek life. Social, philanthropy, life altering, etc..... Please use my regular e-mail address (if you don't have it, pm me and I will get it to you) to send the anecdotes and such. You can post on this board to let me know you are working something up, though! Once I have a nice collection from ASTs, I will go forward and ask for anecdotes from other sorority and fraternity members.

Public service announcement - please, no one buy his/her book - do not pad her negative pockets!!!!!! If I pm you the title, and you'd like to read it, please get it from ebay or the library or something. I know it's very wrong of me, but I don't feel the author deserves one cent more than s/he has already gotten from his/her venture.

***I am now stepping off of my soapbox, and awaiting patiently for responses!***
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-16-2005, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Thumbs up good for you!

That sounds awesome, Jennie! I'll ask my colony sisters for you.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jennie3576
this book of mine

Hello ladies -
It feels like it's been 100 years since I posted the original message regarding the terrible book I read that put Greek Life into such a bad light. The good news is I have done a little more work on the book, and now that I am not working I have a lot more time to devote - except when I am at Seton Hall with my girls! Anyway, I did not get a lot of input regarding positive experiences in Greek Life before, so I am hoping some of you can send them to me soon I'd like to get this thing wrapped up, make Greek Life shine in a good light like it should - and maybe get to be on Oprah myself! OK, the last part was a little bit of a joke! PM me for my7 e-mail address!
Old 03-18-2007, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

So, let me get this straight.
You are writing a book about the good side of greek life?

If so, Id love to read it.
Tau <3
Old 03-22-2007, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AST JONESY
I know this was posted a while ago, but if you still need positive stories I have one so you can email me - ajones8@radford.edu and i'll be happy to share ~ tau love*