GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,184
1 members and 1,183 guests
No Members online

Old 08-04-2020, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
There are several chapters at Southern with black women, as well as other women of color. It is not a big deal. DPhiE had issues that made PNMs not want them (not including members' races).

And if you look at their past recruitments, there were not unlimited women who wanted them. There weren't many women at all. I think most of their members came from COB.

When you market yourself as the un-sorority, you will turn off a lot of Southerners.

As a neutral outside observer, I have no dog in this fight (I'm not from the south, no GPhiB chapter at GSU, etc). My perception as a 3rd party observer is of what carnation said [my emphasis in bold]. DPhiE at Georgia Southern seemed to have issues right out of the gate. The chapter's very first Instagram post in 2014 was of a bathroom scale that had been smashed to pieces with the words "Count What Matters" written on it. I agree with that sentiment in concept; but, it made for an odd first post on Insta for a chapter that was already struggling and had already been reorganized once in it's first 2-3 years. That's a rather bold way to come out.....implying that they're "real" and aren't superficial like other sororities. The "un-sorority", as carnation put it. The GSU sororities may indeed be looks or wealth oriented (I wouldn't know); but, marketing yourself against the grain, no matter what the grain is, is a risky endeavor.

I even went all the way back on GR to see what was being said and people were actually being relatively kind about DPhiE. Wishing them luck, reminding PNMs to be open minded etc. The main complaint was that the chapter wasn't offering a traditional sorority experience. I even saw posts asking about diversity which received positive and supportive responses. That's uncommon for GR where people usually say awful things.

It just seems like they never quite offered the experience that the GSU PNMs were looking for. The truth is, people want to be liked. They want to be beautiful. They want to be accepted. They want to be winners. That's human nature. Marketing yourselves as the "un-sorority" puts a chapter behind the power curve.

True and Constant